Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2002 Spirit ECM is giving me trouble. This is the third one in the last two years. The one that is currently installed is working. It is Indian. It is the connections that are causing me bad problems. I bought a new wiring harness and new ECM at the same time. They are OEM parts I bought from a dealer that specializes in Gilroy parts.

Now let me explain the best I can. Even though the fittings seem tight when snapping them into place and do not feel loose; I get bad current or a break in the circuit in different areas. For example, I will be driving down the road and hit a bump; then it will start back firing, mis-firing Sounds as if it is running on one cylinder then two again. I will shut it off then start it again and it will run fine.

Other symptoms are: sometimes the blinkers work some times not. Speed-ometer will stop working then randomly start working again. Hi-beam will turn off then on again. It can all be resolved by tuning the key off and starting the bike again.
My first thought was it needs to all be soldered. But by the design that would be impossible. what say you?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bad connections inside terminals, positave and negative, can cause a world of problems. I'm just thinking with all the work you've done, it might be an intermittent voltage problem. I once had a tractor that wouldn't charge a battery. The welding lead I had as a ground, had a bad connection inside the terminal. It would start as long as the battery was hot but wouldn't charge it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my 2002 Spirit ECM is giving me trouble. This is the third one in the last two years. The one that is currently installed is working. It is Indian. It is the connections that are causing me bad problems. I bought a new wiring harness and new ECM at the same time. They are OEM parts I bought from a dealer that specializes in Gilroy parts.

Now let me explain the best I can. Even though the fittings seem tight when snapping them into place and do not feel loose; I get bad current or a break in the circuit in different areas. For example, I will be driving down the road and hit a bump; then it will start back firing, mis-firing Sounds as if it is running on one cylinder then two again. I will shut it off then start it again and it will run fine.

Other symptoms are: sometimes the blinkers work some times not. Speed-ometer will stop working then randomly start working again. Hi-beam will turn off then on again. It can all be resolved by tuning the key off and starting the bike again.
My first thought was it needs to all be soldered. But by the design that would be impossible. what say you?
Thank you for the reply. I have actually been thinking about this. I read somewhere a while back about people adding a second ground wire. Some of the people suggested running a ground from the starter to the frame. This is easily done. But if this doesn't fix the problem it will put me back to square one. I will do this but I still feel the connections inside the ECM unit are loose fittings. Even with the extra ground it would still cause the above mentioned problems. Thank you again and I will add that extra ground.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the past, when I have had electrical gremlins, I have found them to be caused by a bad ground.
Thank you for the reply. I have actually been thinking about this. I read somewhere a while back about people adding a second ground wire. Some of the people suggested running a ground from the starter to the frame. This is easily done. But if this doesn't fix the problem it will put me back to square one. I will do this but I still feel the connections inside the ECM unit are loose fittings. Even with the extra ground it would still cause the above mentioned problems. Thank you again and I will add that extra ground.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad connections inside terminals, positave and negative, can cause a world of problems. I'm just thinking with all the work you've done, it might be an intermittent voltage problem. I once had a tractor that wouldn't charge a battery. The welding lead I had as a ground, had a bad connection inside the terminal. It would start as long as the battery was hot but wouldn't charge it.
Yes it is an intermittent voltage problem. As I was saying the best way to fix this is to solder the connections. But the design of the box prevents this. I would like to figure out a way to solder the connections to prevent this. I do think your suggestion of the extra ground is a good idea but the loose fittings inside the box is my real culprit. Now just to find a way to get inside there to do it. HMMMMM?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Those harness controllers were not really problemmatic.
And being on the 2nd one, I'd suspect the problem is elsewhere. Items to check that have been issues on our bikes..1 ) Check both battery cables, but pay extra attention to the positive, espically the (several) " ring trrminals" that connect there. Getting loose and or melting battery terminals is not uncommon. 2) Check and make sure positive terminal is not intermittantly touching the seat pan, have ssen that too. 3) Key switch..there have been issues with these. Check the wire connection in and out of it. Intermittant switch or a loose or broken wire can cause no end of problems. 4) Examine all wires but espically the "power wires" to see if they sre broke or burnt INSIDE the jacket (insulation) have seen this a lot
Those Thunderbeart modules are pretty well made, and my guess is the problem is elsewhere. 5) Check ALL grounds espically the battery to frame, tends to rust, and several wires ground in the same spot.
If all else fails, a call to Thunderheart wouldn"t hurt, they are decent people, and can maybe make additional suggestions.
I'll attach a schematic that also may help. Other than the additional front lights, pretty much the same.
Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Had to poke around to find. This may also be of help. The Thunderheart manual for the module. Also has contact phone numbers.In case you are still having trouble

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts