Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new here and just bought a 2002 Gilroy Indian Scout with only 1400 miles on it. Its beautiful and runs great (maybe a little rich) but it’s not too enjoyable to ride because not only is the clutch stiff but a worse problem is it is very grabby. Don’t know what else to call it. If you try to take off normally with Normal throttle it reaches a certain point where it grabs and just wants to go. If you take off with very little throttle it does the same so wants to stall then catches and goes. If you try to give it a little more throttle and slip the clutch to try for a smooth take off it still reaches that certain point where it just grabs and you are off! Obviously S&S engine with Vance and Hines pipes and I believe it’s the revtec transmission. I’m going to order the ez clutch and I talked to a mechanic who thought removing 3 of the 6 clutch springs would help and he’s done it before. He also mentioned its acting like someone put a race clutch in. Anybody experienced this on a gilroy bike before? Thanks in advance for any info. Ps if anybody has info on where to get an owners manual that would be great. Thanks Dan

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
Did we not do this yesterday? I gave you the answers. I've owned my gilly for nearly 20 years....

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Be careful when tighten the clutch springs and do NOT pay attention to any torque specs. Install them like a lug nut a little at a time and in a pattern. Tighten them until you feel the stop. If you overtighten them the head on the bolt will snap off. Don't ask he how I know this, ;) And use blue Loctite.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a plan. Be careful when tighten the clutch springs and do NOT pay attention to any torque specs. Install them like a lug nut a little at a time and in a pattern. Tighten them until you feel the stop. If you overtighten them the head on the bolt will snap off. Don't ask he how I know this, ;) And use blue Loctite.
Ok decided to go ahead and adjust clutch per diagram you sent. Went well but mad problem slightly worse. Clutch take up is even quicker and mor grabby. So waiting for the gasket and spring which are on their way to adjust them. And or replace them and or take out three of the six as advised by a Harley mechanic I know. He thinks someone may have put in a race clutch and that will loosen it up.he did that on my son in-laws Harley which was too grabby. Will see I guess

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thought I would update this post. After adjusting the clutch as per the diagram Pablo94 was kind enough to provide it actually made it worse so I had already ordered the new clutch springs and high quality silicone impregnated gaskets from Indianmotoparts while waiting for these I spoke to a nice local Harley guy here in Napa named Bob at Bennett’s motorcycle and he offered to look at the clutch pack for me if I was willing to dive in and pull it. So I did and he did.
Someone had mentioned it sounded like someone had put in a race clutch. Bob looked at the pack and said all the clutch material was in really good condition and the steels were worn in spots instead of around like normal and also noted that the clutches were over twice as wide as any he had ever seen on any Harley so yes this May well be a high performance or race clutch. So I got the new springs which were oddly about 1/4 inch longer than the ones that were in it. I wonder if the old ones took a set from sitting. The current ones that were in it were marked with white the new ones had no markings but indianmotoparts listed them as performance springs. I installed the new ones and adjusted the clutch but even though better it was still way too grabby. I pulled back apart and removed 3 of the 6 new springs and readjusted the clutch lever. (Something recommended by my son in laws Harley mechanic who did it to his race bike because it grabbed too hard) This was by far the best yet. Pulled it back apart and adjusted the clutch down to 1/4 turn from first touching when screwed in as apposed to the 1/2 to 1 turn it calls for. Readjusted lever. This was the best outcome. Most rideable by far. Still tough from a dead stop and definitely grabby whether you don’t give it throttle or light throttle or even more throttle and try to slip the clutch. There is NO slipping this clutch. I also think something may have been done to the engine. It’s just way more throttle sensitive and on the power immediately. I don’t know if it’s a big bore kit or bigger carb, it runs great it just feels different Between the grabby clutch and touchy throttle it’s a bike that just wants to be on it all the time as opposed to a laid back cruiser. Nice bike, gorgeous, only shows 1400 miles but somebody wanted to go fast I think.
Just a shout out to Indianmotoparts he shipped the parts quickly and they are high quality. The silicon impregnated gaskets are the best I’ve ever seen. I pulled it apart 4 or 5 times after installing them and they are still perfect and fit perfect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you're just not ready for the Gilroy power that this has😁
Well hopefully it’s not that. My son in law owns two harleys one of which is a breakout with every power adder you can think of and he takes it to the drags and he can’t make it behave any more than I can. It’s much better now but I think it just needs a new regular clutch set up. I ride it today after the last readjustment and I think it’s as good as this set up can get. I would like for someone with gilroy experience ride it because I don’t think they would fare any better. I’ve ridden for fifty years now and may not be a perfect rider but enough experience to know this is different than any clutch set up I’ve ever used.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If recall stock clutch in a Gilroy is a kanematsu or however you spell it . Pressure plate will have Indian on it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If recall stock clutch in a Gilroy is a kanematsu or however you spell it . Pressure plate will have Indian on it
Yes the pressure plate did have Indian on it. There is definitely something different or wrong with this clutch. I’ve let three other people try it and same results. Very grabby. Jumpy. You better be ready. There is no easing out the clutch because at a certain it just grabs. Still think it’s a performance set of clutches in the original basket

1 - 12 of 12 Posts