Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up an 01 Scout from an original owner here in Vancouver, Canada
It has only 1000km on the bike and had been sitting in a garage for 15 years so the thing is in great condition save for some rusty spokes and flakey chrome.
But, on the ride home about 30km into riding the engine started sputtering and died as if it had run out of gas and then wouldn't start again. So we trailered it home and I emptied the gas that had been in the tanks for god knows how long (owner claimed last year, but I have my doubts) and noted a little rust in the bottom of the tanks so I pulled the fuel filter and carb drain to make sure there wasn't any water sitting in it and filled it up with some fresh 94 octane and it fired back up and it ran well up until it got warm then died once again and wouldn't start. I checked all fuel lines were clean and my petcock wasn't plugged or anything, then I did some testing on the ignition coil and figured it was losing spark once the coil got warm, after all, the date of manufacture on the old coil was the year 2000

Fast forward to today
I got a replacement "Drag Specialties" 3 Ohm ignition coil and put it on the bike today and it still wont start! It turns over fine still but wont fire
I get over 12v to both sides of the coil but there is no spark from the plug wires, either grounded to the frame with a screwdriver or with the plugs out. I know the plugs are okay because I pulled them and tried them in a running bike and they were okay. I've taken the plug wires off and tested for shorting and they seem to be okay as well.
I have also taken a look at the electrical box between the tanks and made sure all connections are secured and there was no obvious burn marks or warning lights. I've also checked the ignition module ground bolt and cleaned it all up with some sandpaper

Is this possibly the ignition module? or should I look into my regulator being off?

Also if the module is bad should I look into possibly getting an aftermarket dyna type module instead of trying to source an OEM thunderheart one?
May have to give the local Harley guy a call to come take a look, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight in the meantime

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You can go either the OEM route or trade off for a single fire. I've run the Dyna Single Fire since 2000 on my 99 Chief and 01 on my Centennial Scout. No problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can go either the OEM route or trade off for a single fire. I've run the Dyna Single Fire since 2000 on my 99 Chief and 01 on my Centennial Scout. No problems.
That's what I'm leaning towards. I have a local shop that specializes in older harleys that I think I will take it to just to take the guess work out of making sure I get a proper working replacement, most likely a dyna SF as they are more abundant around these parts!

Thanks Loki! I'm excited to finally have it running 100% for the summer. Replaced the cracked OEM rear rotor and polished up the belt sprocket back to close to mirror finish this week so it's ready to rock now

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
That's what I'm leaning towards. I have a local shop that specializes in older harleys that I think I will take it to just to take the guess work out of making sure I get a proper working replacement, most likely a dyna SF as they are more abundant around these parts!

Thanks Loki! I'm excited to finally have it running 100% for the summer. Replaced the cracked OEM rear rotor and polished up the belt sprocket back to close to mirror finish this week so it's ready to rock now
Excellent. You'll definitely enjoy the machine. I have over 100k on mine and she still runs very strong. I've been running a Dyna 2000i. Zero problems and very quick throttle response. The Thunderheart wasn't bad and was also programmable but the familiarity most shops have with the D2Ki makes it a smart swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I would resolve this for anyone that has a similar issue,

I bought an Ultima Ignition module for $200CAD off ebay to replace the Thunderheart stock one.
This new ignition style sits in the point cover by the rear brake pedal area of the bike, so i followed the instructions closely and made sure to do lots of research beforehand, installed it in less than an hour, then set the static timing through the inspection window and the bike fired right up! Let it run until it got nice and hot, turned it off, then fired it back up again and took it around the block and have no problems!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone familiar with the thunder heart ignition module. Should the red light stay solid red before starting and then flash once running? Mine comes on then shuts shuts off immediately. Bike cranks but won't start
Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 chief , 18 roadmaster, 07 roadking, 15 softail
75 Posts
Excellent. You'll definitely enjoy the machine. I have over 100k on mine and she still runs very strong. I've been running a Dyna 2000i. Zero problems and very quick throttle response. The Thunderheart wasn't bad and was also programmable but the familiarity most shops have with the D2Ki makes it a smart swap.
@Loki is this a fairly straightforward upgrade to do for a educated novice lol ? I'm having backfire issues that just started yesterday. Took off from my house she was running perfect let it warm up for about 4 miles of normal riding.turned a corner and got on it as hard as I could and when I got to 4th gear it just fell on its face and started backfiring bad.pulled over and it runs ok at idle and either dies or backfires when you throttle it. I want to replace coil,wires and ignition module.its a 99 chief with 8700 miles. Do I need a timing light for this ?

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
@Loki is this a fairly straightforward upgrade to do for a educated novice lol ? I'm having backfire issues that just started yesterday. Took off from my house she was running perfect let it warm up for about 4 miles of normal riding.turned a corner and got on it as hard as I could and when I got to 4th gear it just fell on its face and started backfiring bad.pulled over and it runs ok at idle and either dies or backfires when you throttle it. I want to replace coil,wires and ignition module.its a 99 chief with 8700 miles. Do I need a timing light for this ?
Definitely change it over to a single fire ignition coil with a dynacomp or similar. You will like it much better. And you get a better exhaust note with the single fire setup...

I can't remember if you need a timing light. I put mine in nearly 20 years ago. Knock on wood, none of that system has ever failed since...

Reactions: Sixstring

·
Registered
75 Posts
Definitely change it over to a single fire ignition coil with a dynacomp or similar. You will like it much better. And you get a better exhaust note with the single fire setup...

I can't remember if you need a timing light. I put mine in nearly 20 years ago. Knock on wood, none of that system has ever failed since...
I've watched probably 7 or 8 videos on the process now and most of them don't use a timing light so I bet I can get it pretty close on my own. Seen several videos of the s&s brand kit I think it's called a hi4i or something, anyone here use these or is the general consensus to stick to the dyna 2000i

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Shouldn't need a timing light. However, what you are describing of the engine idling ok but having issues under throttle sounds more like a fuel issue. Not saying it couldn't be the electrical or that the electrical may also be an issue but you may also want to check your jets and fuel filter. I know you changed the filter but it may have picked up more crap or a line may be partially blocked. If the idle holds fine and fails under throttle, that could also be a fuel issue as well. Check/clean your jets and carb.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Shouldn't need a timing light. However, what you are describing of the engine idling ok but having issues under throttle sounds more like a fuel issue. Not saying it couldn't be the electrical or that the electrical may also be an issue but you may also want to check your jets and fuel filter. I know you changed the filter but it may have picked up more crap or a line may be partially blocked. If the idle holds fine and fails under throttle, that could also be a fuel issue as well. Check/clean your jets and carb.
I thought the same thing,pulled the filter and even though it was clean,cleaned it again and after putting it back together I pulled the air cleaner and ran the bike so I could see what's happening. I get plenty of gas dumping into the intake from and idle if I try to rev up it doesn't get much past maybe 1500-1800 ram before it either falls off or backfires back.but during the falloff there is a steady flow of fuel from the jets.i also had brand new plugs in it and the front cylinder plug was black while the back plug looked pretty good. Took a thermal gun to the pipes about 3 inches from the jugs and the heat is alot lower on the front cylinder 130-150f vs around 200-240f on the rear,obviously the longer I let it run the hotter they both get. Even tried a new set of plugs and within a few minutes the front plug gets gunked up so I don't think its firing most of the time. Seems to have gotten worse on the idle the more I check it now that its home so I assumed the ignition module is getting worse the more I run it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Early Indians had a problem with the coating inside the tank flaking and causing issues fuel delivery might be worth checking the shut-off.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Neither my 99 Chief or 01 Centennial had any coating in the tanks. My 04 Fat Tire prototype and the spare 03 tanks I have all have a grey liner. It's rock hard though, not rubberized. I know at some point in 01 people were seeing tank liners but I don't know when.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts