Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I've read everything here, and anything I can find on the interwebs. so maybe a few can set me straight.
so, I've managed to fix the major probs when I acquired my bike, such as wiring issues, fouling plugs etc.
now Im looking to swap some stuff.
Looking for seats- 84-99 softail stuff almost fits. IT could fit with some modification but I like everyone else would love a direct swap. Im in daytona and I know the corbin history and haven't gone up there yet til I get as much info as i can. someone previously said 1999 softail custom for parts cross ref, seat too?
rear lowering kit. I've seen burly makes some stuff that may work, I have also seen lowermysoftailkit.com or something like that but its all 2000 and up hd, which is different underneath.

Any options for not dropping a grand to get floorboards going up front on this bad boy?
or is anyone run peg that will fit the direct bolt up style like ours? maybe something similar to those kurykyn swing wing deals.
Anyone do anything with road pegs on the small sections of downtube? not wanting a crash bar but I need or would love some foot options.
Gearing-
anyway to get those highway rpms down some? Id love to be able to maybe just find a 34 primary out that coudl do it, but any option/info would help.
Read a few of you with some performance ignition systems. does Hi-4 make a diff with stock cam? or wait til the dual fire takes a dive?
Electrical- The blinker autocanceling that came stock. Is it resisted to handle swap to led turn x4? or do I need a controller to replace them with. Im not into wiring resistors inline x4.
I know this is a bit of a mess and unorganized- phone typing.
All questions and info I've searched high and low for, not being a full time wrench, I lack the history experience.
help a guy out, hopefully I can return the favor.
Thanks
Chase

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try Aardvark motorcycle on interweb good website or give Mark over there a call. Very helpful
May have to try again. I have written them a few times if I can remember, asking similar stuff and have never received a return. I check addresses multiple times to verify they were getting through to the correct one. Who knows

·
Registered
254 Posts
Really? Mark (@ http://www.indianmotoparts.com/indian-air-suspension.html> has the best air suspension-n-lowering system for your bike - hands down. He's just about a 1-stop shop for many parts, not to mention a wealth of knowledge. He may not be the cheapest house for maintaining your Indian - but he's reasonable, does his research, and sells only products he believes in.

As for your ignition - wait until it craps out, then replace it.

I can't help you on the floorboard question, but there are kits available to rebuilt your transmission and add a 6th gear. This seems to be the best option. If you're not looking to maintain originality, then you can purchase a 6-speed tranny off ebay for about $750. (The kit runs about $660 or so, plus you'll need to supply a core to stuff w/said the parts.)

kind regards,
Michael

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Have you tried americanmotoparts on ebay? Its a different vendor than AArdvark. if you don't see it on his ebay just message him. he has tons of parts and knowledge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All for your responses.
I did take a minute to call Mark at Ardvaark the other day and was highly disappointed with the temperature of the conversation. I'm sure the fella is a wealth of knowledge, but a narcissist to boot. I called and politely asked if he had the time to lemme know what parts I was lookin for, or similar, or what he had to sell me. It didn't turn out well and honestly, I don't care if hes the last shop on earth with the goods, it's not worth dealing with that kinda of attitude. I understand a dude needs to make a dollar and have no problem with that, but 5 minutes into the conversation I was being accused of trying to pull part numbers, when I initially asked for what he had to sell to accomplish what I wanted. Soup to nuts, I'll figure it out myself.

In lighter news,
thanks for the ebay store info I'll def look into it.
I'm sure marks' airride is nice, just a bit more than I was looking for for this scoot.

Thanks All who have taken the time to input on this topic and hope things work out for everyones projects.

One more question. I just found a set a of easy brackets for the scout and ordered them shipped to the house. I'm currently looking at a few sets of bags from Leatherworks inc in CA and am into an All American made product. A few sets of the bags I'm looking at have a width of 7 inches. Easy brackets are give or take 1 inch wide. What are folks opinions on the apperance of 8 inches sticking off the side of a mid size bike? I know its hard to stuff a leather jacket into a bag thats not big enough, but I got a feeling that a set of 7 inch wide bags on brackets that will hang down pretty square to the bike, will have a awkward profile. one more... I was leaning towards a split lid/box top, but have thought a messenger flap slight angle bag would fit the flow better.
What say you all?
Thanks
Chase

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oops, hit post too early,
This weekend with biketoberfest going on here in daytona, I spent some time riding around searching for another like mine, to no avail, I think i may have been the only one among many.
I did stop into JP cycles at destination and happened to meet Aimee from Leatherworks inc who graciously gave me too much of her time answering all my questions. I got a chance to put my hands on her products and man, they are well made heavy duty all american leather. I think I've i decided on her 111+2 box top bags. I placed an order but havent finalized it yet. I was just now looking at a picture taken of my wife and I riding and noticed the peg placement. with the dimensions of these bags, I'm worried I might invade the foot space of the passenger peg too much. I've got to do some remeasuring, but I think they'll make it. especially if Im moving the turn signals, which isn't happening yet. heres what I was getting.

Leatherworks Inc. | Leather Saddlebags | Motorcycle Saddlebags

What do you all think? should I get a shorter set? I really wanted that extra space and medium size look. I did decide that they will not be too wide as the 7 inches I spoke of earlier is not a square 7 like a box, in handmade leather.
Someone tell me they'll honestly look good and fit. haha.
there are no pics of these on my bike anywhere or anything similar so far, as I've searched, so the pics on the leatherworks page from the link, show a set on new indians, which is an inch shorter in depth than the model I'm getting but just for reference... and in black leather.
thanks.

One more, any opinions on road peg options? or highway bars?
I've seen a set of folding road pegs set up on a single down tube, but was on a custom bike with only one pic on the net.

Ok,
thanks again

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Also I should note. These bags did fit with the turn signals in the stock location but I changed to a chief tail lamp assembly to move them back just a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts