Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to motorcycles and have decided to restore a 2001 Indian Scout given to me by my Uncle a few weeks before he died. He asked that I get it back on the road and running, almost like a last wish.

I say all that to ask for help from this community to help me get this running again. Can everyone please share any links to documentation, manuals, parts catalogs or favorite websites or junk yards you use to get information or parts on this particular year of motor cycle. I am finding it VERY difficult to locate even the simplest of manuals for this bike.

I am starting by changing the oil and battery and see what breaks when I start it, and go from there.

I appreciate any information you can share. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Bronze member
3,468 Posts
scroll down to the "Gilroy era" lots of info there... make sure you clean the tank out before you start it... the engine is S&S so you should be able to find manuals for it..

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
670 Posts
The website Indian Motorcycle Community has tons of information on your new ride. It has been running since some of us had Gilroys (I had a 2002 Chief and a 2002 Scout) There are downloadable manuals and lots of guys who still ride your make and year Bike. I'm sorry about your loss, sounds like your Uncle was a good guy.

·
Silver member
5,098 Posts
Here some information for you to download.

You can many parts from Guy Aueyueng and from Indianmoto parts. Indian Motorcycle Parts | Indian Parts, Indian Moto Parts, Chief, Scout, Spirit. Many of the parts sizes will cross over with a 97 HD softtail as far as swingarm bearings, neck bearings etc. But there also quite a few proprietary parts also.

If you go the community public forum you will find Homer's page. That page has some links you may need. Your primary and clutch parts are still made and are by Primo Riviera.

There is also a Gilroy Indian page on FB that will provide some support too.

I have manuals I can send you. The files are too large for this website. PM and I will send them to your email or put them in the cloud for you to retrieve if your mailbox has a small limit.

Here mine nearly 20 years later since purchased and still on the road!

J

·
Registered
2001 Indian Scout “Flaming Arrow”
73 Posts
I am new to motorcycles and have decided to restore a 2001 Indian Scout given to me by my Uncle a few weeks before he died. He asked that I get it back on the road and running, almost like a last wish.

I say all that to ask for help from this community to help me get this running again. Can everyone please share any links to documentation, manuals, parts catalogs or favorite websites or junk yards you use to get information or parts on this particular year of motor cycle. I am finding it VERY difficult to locate even the simplest of manuals for this bike.

I am starting by changing the oil and battery and see what breaks when I start it, and go from there.

I appreciate any information you can share. Thank you!

View attachment 592520 View attachment 592522 View attachment 592523
Very nice Scout! Sounds like your Uncle was a good guy. Don’t get discouraged, the Gilroy bikes were (and are) very nice bikes, collectable, fairly easy to work on, and the information is out there. Manuals are online free from granbygarage. Print versions at cost on Ebay, etc and the aforementioned vendors for parts.
What a great legacy from your Uncle! It’s great that you intend to honor his wish-get that scout up to showroom condition!
Post pics and info as you go along so we can see the progress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts