Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just over 12k miles and my inner primary belt broke on a ride last week. The teeth on the belt looked a bit worn but I didn't see any issues with the drive or transmission gears. I ordered a new belt from Indian moto parts and it is close to an inch wider. The belt that broke was a primo 7/8" and the new Gates belt is 1-5/8". I've had the bike since it was new so I'm assuming the Primo belt was the original?
Either way, it should have lasted longer than 12k... My question is, which gear do I need to pull to get the new belt on? I've looked on the web and cannot find anything for replacing this belt. I'll pull both if I have to. Everything has to do with chain conversion or the primary drive (shaft to wheel) belt replacement.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hmmm....2nd time I posted this now......There is no such thing as an inner primary belt. It is either the "primary" belt or the "final drive" belt that goes to the rear wheel. You will need to remove the clutch assembly and the swingarm to get the belt replaced.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You will either need the right pulleys for the wide belt, or the right belt for the pulleys that are on there now. Can you get another Primo belt?
Also, a rubber belt will harden and age pretty badly in 20 years no matter how few miles are on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts