Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here we go.
2000 Indian Chief-S&S motor. Bike shut down wile running.
Battery fully charged ,lights work. It like I hit the kill switch. With switch on run I'm getting a red light lite up on the kill circuit indicator. Wouldn't turn over on run ........

I juggled the wires and the bike decided to turn over. But wouldn't fire.

Could use some help with finding my problems. Some insight into the way that Indian electrical box works between the tanks. Should you ever see a red "shirt" indicator light ?

It's as if I have a short on the run stop circuit ?

I came across a link for the wiring diagrams and parts diagrams but can't find the post it was in.

-What is the pin out for the arrowheart
ECM ?
-any secmatics for this bike available ?

There have been issues with the starting of this bike in the past. I installed a separate starter relay problem was solved. It seems now there may be a short in the run circuit, or that Indian circuit breaker box is shot.

I'd like to thank the community in advance for any and all help I may receive.
Thank you
John.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Try the "Indian motorcycle community" forum they are the gilroy boys...also check the pins under the control module behind the dash panel.......good luck......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's a great link. Thank you for that. Its not the control circuit going to the bars. When I jump out the run circuit input. 3 & 6 on the thunder heart I get the short light ,and my headlight dims. I must have a short on the output side or thunder heart internal.

Where to start ....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thunderheart says that IMCOA used crap for switches and the switch OEM used improper wire for the job. So often times when folks go to replace a bad switch they just cut and splice the new one in place, but make the mistake of leaving that crap wire in place.

That kind of repair is fraught with potential problems... from splices failing, to wires being pulled too tight (to make room to get the tool in there to crimp the splice,) and eventually the wires get cut going around the sharp turns/corners of the handlebar holes.

The correct way to fix it is remove the switch assembly entirely... from one (or both) sides - depending on the symptoms.

<snip>
When I jump out the run circuit input. 3 & 6 on the thunder heart I get the short light ,and my headlight dims. I must have a short on the output side or thunder heart internal.

Where to start ....
It seems you're on the path to locating your trouble (between the Thunderheart ECM and the right handlebar switches.) This circuit connects to the start relay, and eventually out to the starter solenoid using the 15amp circuit (same a the headlights.)

First, try and remove the J4 connector and using a DVM run a continuity test to ground on pins 3, 5 and 6. If memory serves, power runs out on pin 3, then when the run switch is enabled, power is jumpered over to the start switch, and also returns power on pin 6. This way, when the start switch is hit, pin 5 lights up, and that in turn strips the starter relay. If you are showing a path to ground on any of those lines, your problem is in the handlebar circuit.

If you take the right side switches off, make sure you get the proper removal tool to extract the pins from the J4 plug. J&P sells it for ~$10-12 if I recall. The tool allows you to decompress the lock pins and easily remove the female connectors (from the J4 plug.) Be very careful that you don't break the lock pin(s) that secure the female part of the connector in place. If you do, you'll have to replace that pin and it requires a special Molex crimping tool.

Also make a wiring diagram before you dismantle the plug - it will be a little (lot?) easier to return each wire back to its proper spot. Also get some dielectric grease and coat the pins when you re-assemble them.

Once you have all the wires in the right harness free, you should be able to slide them out through the handlebar without much difficulty... unless you have to fight some splices. Either way, you need to withdraw the wiring and locate the position of the short... then replace that wire (hopefully with the same color coding as the ECM manual stipulates.)

Take some pictures... and let us know how you make out.

best of luck -
- Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Talked to Keith at thunder heart. The kill circuit comes from the bars. Run/off start switch. To thunder heart. Run switch contact input pins 3 & 6. Then continues out of thunder heart on pin 6 0f the large 15 pin connection. To side of coil with 2 wires. One wire goes to ignition module the other comes from thunder heart. Turns out my Ignition module is shorted.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, my thinking too... wasn't sure if it was ignition, coil or even the starter relay (shorted internally.) Glad you found it!

- Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the moral support. Any information on the wheels out here. Who made the originals, the actual specs on them. Also what works as direct replacement

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know they were 16" x 3.5" and 60 spoke - not sure who was the OEM. Replacements can be purchased (with far far better chrome) for <$300 ea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts