Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20170710_174114.jpg
20170710_174129.jpg
20170710_174148.jpg

Complete with working Cigarette lighter, and room for your favorite .45!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this for sale? Or are you just showing off your beautiful bike. I was always partial to that yellow beauty.
Oh no, not mine. Its at my dealer for a battery/electrical issues.
Anyone know exactly what it is?

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts
Not sure what you mean by hybrid. What did I miss? Sure is pretty.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Bottle cap valve/rocker covers. Definitely Gilroy era.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what you mean by hybrid. What did I miss? Sure is pretty.
Salesmen said it was a 2000 but had an 04 engine? As if the engine was different in 04?
Has a car radio antenna from a Buick that electrically retracks into the Saddlebag when radio is turned off.
My salesmen didn't know a ton about it

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I had a powerplus 100 in my 2000 Chief......you can no longer do head gaskets with the engine in the frame, but it'll fit with about a 1/4-1/2" of room to spare......

·
Founding member
1,505 Posts
Salesmen said it was a 2000 but had an 04 engine? As if the engine was different in 04?
Has a car radio antenna from a Buick that electrically retracks into the Saddlebag when radio is turned off.
My salesmen didn't know a ton about it
He may well be right. I dont think they painted 03's and 04's the maize yellow. I could be wrong or someone may have repainted it. But it looks like a 99 - 2000 alright. But has the bottlecap engine.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
They did indeed make a yellow / white Chief in 2000. I've seen many. Again, the powerplus 100 will fit, but just barely.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The easy way to tell is how many shocks on the rear...if there are 2 underneath it's an earlier frame...99-01. If it is mono shock, it's a 2002 or later frame...after the powerplus 100 came out........

If you can get me a good shot of the cases down in front where it bolts to the frame, I can tell you whether or not those were decent cases or needs to have it re-worked......Mansfield and Ramsden cases are good....prior to that...not so good.......

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
It's a 2000 Chief. Softail. Shocks are underneath. There are a few clues. Dash and speedo, oil bag, two downtubes, color, seat. Not sure why anyone in their right mind would put a PP100 in it vs. an SS, but that's just me. If I needed motor work I would have rebuilt the original SS with bigger heads or dropped in an SS 112.

I'm sure it has that shitty, hot running dry clutch belt setup on the other side.

I don't think it is a kit bike. Just a motor change out. Everything looks factory 2000 except the handlebars, engine, pipes, and that abomination of a windshield/cup holder, fairing thing. Shit can that for sure and put the beach bars back on it!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Easiest way to tell is the front of the frame. 99-01 has two downtubes. Indian's proprietary frame that released with the 2002 PP100 engine had a single downtube frame. The tanks are also from the earlier run as the 02-04 tanks had locking caps that were flush with the top of the tank. Headlight marks is as a 2000 since you can see the round headlight inside the teardrop lens. Or, the owner replaced that due to an accident. It's not a 99 because the neck badge isn't there and the 99s had a 3D chrome script of Indian on the tanks but these look to have been painted later on. The last telltale sign is on the other side of the bike. If it's a dry primary, it's an 00. Some 01s came with the wet primaries but most came with dry primaries. Funny, I knew a guy who made some of those changes in his 2000 including the cigarette lighter and going through a few PP100 engines redone by Crazyhorse but he's in Kalifornia and I don't recall him putting on apes. I'm not sure if he sold his bike or not.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He may well be right. I dont think they painted 03's and 04's the maize yellow. I could be wrong or someone may have repainted it. But it looks like a 99 - 2000 alright. But has the bottlecap engine.
When did the bottle caps come about?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts