Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 Scout Bobber. I am considering Installing a wider rear tire +. However, w/ most wide tire mods, the owners usually delete the fenders to showcase the wider tire as would I. In those instance, it seemalmost universal for the owner to go with a solo rider style seat.

My question... is it possible or even practical to have a 2nd up seat such as the Mustang Jared Mees Signature Series Black One-Piece Seat in the absence of a rear fender? Would seem that the rear fender does provide some support to the seat but that could be illusory. Being that the seat would need to be attached towards its front end, the underlying support w/in the seat would be the most important consideration since the later half of the seat would be floating more or less. Thoughts? Is this idea even feasible?

I prefer not to loose passenger seating at the expense of a fenderless wide rear tire.

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
Why go fenderless?
You need to consider carefully what fender supports you may have to remove to expose the rear wheel? Either the base of the seat or any replacement fender to support the seat must be strong enough to support the weight of a pillion. A chopped fender is always best. I did the same on my other steed and the fender has all the relevant approvals for carrying pillion, also the original struts had to be removed to facilitate fitting of the replacement fender. I just use a suction cup seat on the very rare occasion I still carry pillion. My fender is 3mm rolled steel and weighs a lot! You still get the exposure you may seek with a chopped or specifically designed rear fender. Fenderless and pillion do not go together usually.

Reactions: Legman37

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why go fenderless?
You need to consider carefully what fender supports you may have to remove to expose the rear wheel? Either the base of the seat or any replacement fender to support the seat must be strong enough to support the weight of a pillion. A chopped fender is always best. I did the same on my other steed and the fender has all the relevant approvals for carrying pillion, also the original struts had to be removed to facilitate fitting of the replacement fender. I just use a suction cup seat on the very rare occasion I still carry pillion. My fender is 3mm rolled steel and weighs a lot! You still get the exposure you may seek with a chopped or specifically designed rear fender. Fenderless and pillion do not go together usually.

View attachment 596104

View attachment 596105
Great insight! Fenderless is wishful but completely not feasible. I am not familiar w/ a "suction cup" seat and will immediately look into it as well as a chopper style fender which appears more abbreviated than the stock fender. Again... thanks much for sharing. Stay safe.

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
A couple of other ideas to throw at you. If your pockets are deep enough and your imagination is good it is amazing what can be achieved. I do not like the concept of a pillion rider's arse swinging in the breeze without adequate support personally, it is a recipe for disaster if the seat collapses?

Suction cup seats:

Fender and seat base as it came originally. Had to have custom seat built on base.

End result, indicator and stop/run lights incorporated into rear edge of fender and air ride system fitted.

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
Only too pleased to help. I have been where you are now with your desire for a fatter rear wheel. If you ever come to my Side of the Pond and my vicinity you can square it away with a couple of cold ones. Good luck in your quest.

Why stop at 200mm? Here's a bolt on 240mm kit.

(y):cool:

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
Daveholl,

Well done! Cracking looking bike! (y):cool:

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
Thank you. My 'Better Half' thought I had completely lost the plot when I took an angle grinder to the frame of an 18 month old £22k bike to grind off the fender support lugs to fit the new chopped fender. I was going to get it carbon wrapped but the cost was too prohibitive, instead I went for hydrographic 3D carbon dipping. You can have the paint the color of your choice and in comparison to real carbon wrap cost I could have it redone 3-4 times. My garage is tiny so I picked a good sunny day and fitted the air ride system on my driveway. The tire I managed to go to 260mm.

The 240 kit for me on a Scout would be an absolute 'no brainer' as I think it looks stunning. And there I am thinking of going out to a 160 on my FTR. It has wheels as skinny as an ice cream van but is naturally at the opposite end of the spectrum, that's why I have it, one cruiser can't quite tick all the itches I need to scratch. Nevertheless the owner of Moore Speed Racing (who are my local dealership) Colin Moore rated his Scout over his FTR which has got me thinking I need to take his out for a ride at some point but not just yet, it has taken me some time and help from Fuel Moto to get the FTR running how I wanted it out of the box!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I do like the look of that rear fender
We need to be a little crazy to do what we do . Its nice that your better half take interest in what your doing , after three months working in my garage my wife finally came out and asked me "what have you been doing out here"? I cant even get her to sit on my bike .

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
😂That's why I had to get a fatter tire to keep everything in proportion and perspective. My other half has unfortunately piled on the pounds the last couple of years.😂

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. My 'Better Half' thought I had completely lost the plot when I took an angle grinder to the frame of an 18 month old £22k bike to grind off the fender support lugs to fit the new chopped fender. I was going to get it carbon wrapped but the cost was too prohibitive, instead I went for hydrographic 3D carbon dipping. You can have the paint the color of your choice and in comparison to real carbon wrap cost I could have it redone 3-4 times. My garage is tiny so I picked a good sunny day and fitted the air ride system on my driveway. The tire I managed to go to 260mm.

The 240 kit for me on a Scout would be an absolute 'no brainer' as I think it looks stunning. And there I am thinking of going out to a 160 on my FTR. It has wheels as skinny as an ice cream van but is naturally at the opposite end of the spectrum, that's why I have it, one cruiser can't quite tick all the itches I need to scratch. Nevertheless the owner of Moore Speed Racing (who are my local dealership) Colin Moore rated his Scout over his FTR which has got me thinking I need to take his out for a ride at some point but not just yet, it has taken me some time and help from Fuel Moto to get the FTR running how I wanted it out of the box!

View attachment 596138

View attachment 596139
Absolutely bananas and inspiring! Thanks for the great feedback.

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout Bobber
17 Posts
I went with a 240 rear tire and fender with a solo seat But you can also do a 240 with fender and two up .
Examples below . The second pic you will see mounting bolts for a passenger seat on the rear fender View attachment 596135 View attachment 596137
The Bobber is looking awesome! Is that a Tank Machine rear fender kit? I want to put a rear fender like that on my Bobber and have been eyeballing a fender from twistedchoppers.com for a fraction of the cost of the Tank Machine rear fender kit. I'm just curious on the hardware and how to mount it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Bobber is looking awesome! Is that a Tank Machine rear fender kit? I want to put a rear fender like that on my Bobber and have been eyeballing a fender from twistedchoppers.com for a fraction of the cost of the Tank Machine rear fender kit. I'm just curious on the hardware and how to mount it.

My fender is from twisted choppers . I had them cut down one of there hi cut fenders and had them bend the rod to fit . There is more info at this link starting on Post #52 (2) Custom Indian Scout Bobber | Page 3 | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout Bobber
17 Posts
Thank you for the information and the link to past discussions on this topic. I now have a better understanding on the mounting of the rear fender using the bent metal rod for structural support and where it gets mounted. I'm still a little lost on how the bottom of the fender gets mounted and where it is mounted to on the frame of the bike. Is it mounted below the subframe enclosure? The piece that you bought from Tank Machine which I assume is being used to mount the bottom of the fender to the frame, can it be bought separately from their rear fender kit? What is the cost of that mounting bracket? I don't recall seeing that part sold separately on their website. Also. Do you still have an order number from Twistedchoppers? I think I'll be running the same size rim and tire as you. I have a 18" × 8.5" rim, with a Metzler ME 888 240/40R/79V tire. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thank you for the information and the link to past discussions on this topic. I now have a better understanding on the mounting of the rear fender using the bent metal rod for structural support and where it gets mounted. I'm still a little lost on how the bottom of the fender gets mounted and where it is mounted to on the frame of the bike. Is it mounted below the subframe enclosure? The piece that you bought from Tank Machine which I assume is being used to mount the bottom of the fender to the frame, can it be bought separately from their rear fender kit? What is the cost of that mounting bracket? I don't recall seeing that part sold separately on their website. Also. Do you still have an order number from Twistedchoppers? I think I'll be running the same size rim and tire as you. I have a 18" × 8.5" rim, with a Metzler ME 888 240/40R/79V tire. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. View attachment 618214
Hi
The tank machine fender mount can be purchased on its own . Pince fixation Garde boue arrière Tank Machine - Tankmachine If you look at post #60 on my build you can see how the part mounts on the swingarm along with a pic of the fender mounted/bolted to the part.

My fender and parts were a custom cut so at that time there was no link . We started with this fender Hi-Cut Rear Chopper Bobber Custom Motorcycle Fender ⋆ Twisted Choppers . I had them cut the sides off and round one end along with cutting it to 9" wide and 27 long . I just noticed this new link 240mm Rear Fender Builders Kit For Indian® Scout ⋆ Twisted Choppers that should work

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 596138

View attachment 596139
What drag-bars is that?

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
Bit of confusion on my part Tawaiti where you asking me or Legman as your question was based after my quote?

Those came as standard on the bike they are black chromed and are amazing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts