Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the Scout, Runs Great, Responds Well, Handles like a Dream, Only Bike ever owned that Handling compared with for a Bike it's size was my FXR4 .. But the Scout would Kick Ass and Take Names with the FXR Speed Wise, and Many Other Bikes as well .. It's not a Rocket but was surprised at it's Power .. What Power you get on a Test Ride and Having the Open Road in front of you with no one else to contend with .. The Power is Awesome .. There's the Good for now am sure there is more to come on that one but Yes there is some Bad too .. Will see my Pic at the bottom of this, In my own Driveway, what I thought was a flat driveway here in Flat Florida, Messed up Big time .. Even warned some Scout Brothers and Sisters and My FB Page do not park in it Neutral as the Kickstand is Wimpy and any slight angle will cause it to fall .. I faithfully followed this rule anywhere i went except when Got Home and got away twice with it in Neutral, the 3rd time it cost me a Clutch Lever Tip and slight damage to the end of the Left Hand Grip (See Pics) .. Which probably the Dealer won't have Parts for 2 months luckily I caught it and eased the Fall as soon as I saw it dropping when got off the Bike or this may have been a tragic experience, Especially with no Accessories available when took it out the door like a Crash Bar, Engine Guard whatever want to call it which will add are no Accessories to come with the Scout at this time or at least my Dealer didn't have any .. Okay what else could be wrong ? The Mirrors will need Extentions or Aftermarket if want to see anything but your Shoulders in the Mirror .. No Oil Kits were available for me to take home with the Scout was planning on changing my Oil and Filter at 100- 150 Miles to get the Break In Stuff out of there with Fresh Oil but will trust the Polaris Engineers that 500 is Okay .. l already have a 500 Mile service appointment Friday .. One last complaint for now and will let this thread go on and answer questions if I can .. The Coolant Level Indicator is very hard to see even the Manual says use a Flashlight, Hell might as well use a Welding Arc to see it is a very opague Piece of Plastic that is anyone thought about should have been clear .. Well enough Bitching for now Still love the Scout and hopefully all this typing may save a few a little grief ..

Only Busted the end of the Tip so still quite Rideable ..

No other Damage Done because Caught it before it hit Hard on the Pavement ..

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
So, it will roll and allow the kickstand to retract?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Thanks for the warning about the kickstand. I hope you don't have to wait long for the repairs. Great report!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Love the Scout, Runs Great, Responds Well, Handles like a Dream, Only Bike ever owned that Handling compared with for a Bike it's size was my FXR4 .. But the Scout would Kick Ass and Take Names with the FXR Speed Wise, and Many Other Bikes as well .. It's not a Rocket but was surprised at it's Power .. What Power you get on a Test Ride and Having the Open Road in front of you with no one else to contend with .. The Power is Awesome .. There's the Good for now am sure there is more to come on that one but Yes there is some Bad too .. Will see my Pic at the bottom of this, In my own Driveway, what I thought was a flat driveway here in Flat Florida, Messed up Big time .. Even warned some Scout Brothers and Sisters and My FB Page do not park in it Neutral as the Kickstand is Wimpy and any slight angle will cause it to fall .. I faithfully followed this rule anywhere i went except when Got Home and got away twice with it in Neutral, the 3rd time it cost me a Clutch Lever Tip and slight damage to the end of the Left Hand Grip (See Pics) .. Which probably the Dealer won't have Parts for 2 months luckily I caught it and eased the Fall as soon as I saw it dropping when got off the Bike or this may have been a tragic experience, Especially with no Accessories available when took it out the door like a Crash Bar, Engine Guard whatever want to call it which will add are no Accessories to come with the Scout at this time or at least my Dealer didn't have any .. Okay what else could be wrong ? The Mirrors will need Extentions or Aftermarket if want to see anything but your Shoulders in the Mirror .. No Oil Kits were available for me to take home with the Scout was planning on changing my Oil and Filter at 100- 150 Miles to get the Break In Stuff out of there with Fresh Oil but will trust the Polaris Engineers that 500 is Okay .. l already have a 500 Mile service appointment Friday .. One last complaint for now and will let this thread go on and answer questions if I can .. The Coolant Level Indicator is very hard to see even the Manual says use a Flashlight, Hell might as well use a Welding Arc to see it is a very opague Piece of Plastic that is anyone thought about should have been clear .. Well enough Bitching for now Still love the Scout and hopefully all this typing may save a few a little grief ..

Only Busted the end of the Tip so still quite Rideable ..

No other Damage Done because Caught it before it hit Hard on the Pavement ..
Sorry to here about the drop is that the side stand half way along the frame it looks like it is to far back for a good lock for weight distribution

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tip over. That must make you sad on your once perfect Scout. I hate it when that happens. I think we've all at least have seen one tip over in our lifetimes.

Hope you can get replacement parts soon. Take care.

·
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, it will roll and allow the kickstand to retract?
Exactly What Happened .. And I faithfully do a bit of pull back to ensure ( I thought ) Kickstand is secure .. Won't Happen again ..

·
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear about the tip over. That must make you sad on your once perfect Scout. I hate it when that happens. I think we've all at least have seen one tip over in our lifetimes.

Hope you can get replacement parts soon. Take care.
Seen many Dropsies through the years but this was after dismounted and as was opening my gate said Oh Shi** and just barely caught it before it totally dropped on it's own, would have been far more damage if I hadn't with no Crash Bar ..

·
Registered
458 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear, but thanks for the heads up. 1st gear park for sure here in hilly TN. Hopefully a mod will come soon if it's that easy to roll off the kick stand.

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Jay.

Thanks for the great report. Sorry to hear about the tip over - glad it wasn't worse. I'm sure your warning will save a lot of us some grief.

Have fun with the Scout!

·
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks. Sorry to hear, but thanks for the heads up. 1st gear park for sure here in hilly TN. Hopefully a mod will come soon if it's that easy to roll off the kick stand.
If I stop just one person from doing what happened to me this post was worth while .. But for any that have any doubts before you take it off the lot , Just take handlebars in hand with kickstand down and move it forward just a tad and see what happens..

·
Registered
558 Posts
As I said on FB... I wish it hadn't happen to you Jay. Well, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and certainly not on any of the Scout and future Scout owners out here. It really pains me to see it too. Ouch.

Good write up, I want more people to talk about the problems and the good. So thanks for doing that! Stay safe.

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Thanks for the info Jay and glad you caught her. Minor damage for sure.

·
Registered
272 Posts
so you admit to NOT putting it in First gear when you shut it off and deployed the side stand?
Just HOW is that a fault of the motorcycle maker?
THAT is an operator error and can happen with any motorcycle , regardless of the brand,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dude, thanks for sharing....I am sure I will hopefully count for 1 person that will hopefully not have that little grief. If you had a paypal, I'd be keen on organizing a fundraiser for her clutch lever! Just for an honorary....wounded vet as you are the first! peace brother, happy miles and safe ridin'

·
Registered
458 Posts
so you admit to NOT putting it in First gear when you shut it off and deployed the side stand?
Just HOW is that a fault of the motorcycle maker?
THAT is an operator error and can happen with any motorcycle , regardless of the brand,
Only one of the 30+ bikes I have owned have ever needed to be put in first gear on a regular basis when parked, and that was a custom bike where the kickstand was not set up quite right. The only time I really park my bikes in gear is when I am on a noticeable downward slope, and from the sounds of it, this was not really the case here. Don't go off on the OP for advising others of what happened to him. He is obviously an experienced rider, and the Scout kickstand sounds like it is significantly more touchy than most others.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts