Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, greetings. I've been on a Victory XCT for 9 years, 150,000 miles. I got my Challenger Limited last week.
Issue 1, the infotainment system takes a very long time to come up, about 20 minutes.
Issue 2, when trying to ride slow at parking lot speeds, it is very hard to keep it from lurching.
Do they all do that?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Infotainment shouldn't take that long to come up, there is also an update on the website, you might need to update it, even though you picked it up last week doesn't mean the dealer did the update. There's rain, standard and sport mode, I keep mine in sport all the time, that gives you the most crisp throttle response. Coming from 25+ years of HD it took some time to get used to the differences.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Issue 1 - Mine takes about 60 seconds which I thought was a little slow. 20 minutes is a warranty issue for sure.

Issue 2 - I've experienced lurching at times but not often. Again, a little might be the bike's nature but often is a warranty issue of some kind.

That's been my experience. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Greetings Dave, i too came from a Vic CC and still trying to get used to the throttle so I feel your pain. Rode another in a demo ride and it was the same. Tried the different modes but still twitchy. I find i use the clutch more to smooth slow riding.
My ride command takes like 20 seconds also so you have something going on there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your title is only "2" things....? ?
I'm going to inform you that you might experience more than two. You can read through hundreds of threads on this forum and realize there are few "glitches" with this new model. You may even experience some buyers remorse like I did but, when it comes to riding this new bike you'll love it. I'm going to agree with AZ Rider and 704, you may want to take it in.

Mine experienced "stalling out" when coming to a stop at least 4 or 5 times before my 500 mile check up. Mine also "lurched" a bit... but after a few tanks of gas and a few hundred miles the lurching has never returned. I thought that was just me getting use to a new bike. (?)

1. - My Ride Command takes at least 30 seconds to boot-up. There is a July 2020 update for the Ride Command that YOU need to download and install. I don't think the dealerships do it because in some cases it can take over an hour.

2. - The dealer checked my throttle body at 500 miles, ran the numbers and mine was within the parameters so I didn't need the RECALL but they also installed an update for the EFI. The motor has run fine since.

Dave, I'm not going to babble on about the other "quirks" that this new model has because they have already been discussed.
If you want you can get me via a private conversation and I can give you my list.

I will say there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum that are willing to help you out, Tech Rider is one of them. I was very disappointed in my original dealership, so much so that I now go over an hour away to see another. FYI....This forum has been able to answer some of my questions better that the dealerships. Good Luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First, greetings. I've been on a Victory XCT for 9 years, 150,000 miles. I got my Challenger Limited last week.
Issue 1, the infotainment system takes a very long time to come up, about 20 minutes.
Definitely not normal. It should boot up in seconds, not minutes. I have never timed mine, but it probably isn't more than 30 seconds. You could certainly try the re-flash it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got just under a 1000 miles on mine since I bought it. My infotainment comes up in about 20 seconds, I have the July update. I noticed some lurching at first, but realized the clutch adjustment isn't the same as my HD, so now that I operate it unlike my HD, it works for me, slow parking lot or entering a hwy. My only issue now is weather and traffic overlay isn't working, but gonna figure that one out too before I head out on vacation next week. Enjoy the ride, it's awesome.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've had my Challenger since the beggining of March and the infotainment takes 20-30 seconds to start. (I even restarted while riding once.) 20 minutes sounds like a hardware/software issue.

I purchased my bike with the Stage 1 Air Cleaner and flash and put Slipons on around 100 miles. I've never noticed any lurching unless the clutch slips out of my hand. The bike is easily 10x smoother than my VTX1800 I came from. That thing would lurch with the smallest touch of the throttle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did apply a patch the second day. I'll reload it and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did apply a patch the second day. I'll reload it and see if that changes anything.
That sounds frustrating. Sorry you're having that issue. Rest assured that it is a warranty issue as this is not normal or expected behavior. It's just a frustrating pain to have to deal with that on something brand new, that's for sure.

When I bought my challenger last month, I left the dealership and the check engine light came on right away. I didn't even finish leaving the parking lot yet. lol It stayed on the entire way home. I got up the next morning to drive it back to the dealership, and the engine light was on the whole time then too. Turns out it was a bad 02 sensor--right off the dealer lot! Obvisouly they fixed it under warranty but was really frustrating to have my brand new bike in the shop the first day I got it.

·
Silver member
4,829 Posts
The lurching is likely a combo of two things. One, as mentioned the slipper clutch takes some getting used too and may be one part of that issue. And two, you have a BOSCH VCU and ECU setup. That is a learning system so it take a few hundred miles to get used to your style of riding as it pinpoints it's fuel/air ratios over several cycles of riding the bike.

Congrats on the new bike. I am looking forward to owning this model when my other one is paid off, which is in the near future...

Reactions: Mustang01

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all. I reinstalled the patch and will see how it does next time I have it out.

·
Rider
810 Posts
Issue 2, when trying to ride slow at parking lot speeds, it is very hard to keep it from lurching.
Do they all do that?
About 6 months ago Indian came out with a reflash for the jerkiness you are experiencing at low speed. It feels like you have play in the throttle although it's in the sensitivity of the fly by wire.
Mine did the same thing and the reflash cured it. I know bikes of your production series are supposed to already have it but it won't hurt to reflash it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About 6 months ago Indian came out with a reflash for the jerkiness you are experiencing at low speed. It feels like you have play in the throttle although it's in the sensitivity of the fly by wire.
Mine did the same thing and the reflash cured it. I know bikes of your production series are supposed to already have it but it won't hurt to reflash it.
I figured it was something like that. I take it the dealer needs to do the flash?

·
Rider
810 Posts
They can see with a laptop if it has been done and even if it shows that it has, tell them to do it again. It only takes 20 minutes.
I had mine done and the difference was night and day. Then I had a new battery put in under warranty and the minute I started it up to drive home, it ran like shite, again. I had another dealer reflash it ( took some discussion ) and ba bam, perfect again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting. I hate having anything done, preffering to do it myself, just for that reason.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As far as the lurching goes...what ride mode do you have it on. Assuming you have ride modes. I know with my 20RM, sport mode at low speeds is a bit jerky.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts