Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I realize these 2 items have been covered in other threads such as “Scout Wish List” and “Custom Scout” but I didn’t want this lost in those by now quite long threads. I’m expecting that the 2 items I’d like first will be provided by aftermarket makers in the very near future and I’m hoping that the people on this site will keep us apprised of the availability.

#1: I need some type of wind protection. I now have around 250 miles on the Scout and once I hit around 60 mph, the wind pressure is quite substantial – fine for a shorter ride but I expect it would get very tiring on longer rides. I know 3 sizes of windshields will be available but I’m holding out for something a bit more stylish/unique. I had a 1988 BMW K75c which had a very small fairing but it was remarkably effective- good enough to allow me a couple thousand mile days. I’ve attached a photo of the BMW for fairing size reference and a photo of an Arlen Ness fairing for a Sportster. I think this kind of fairing would lend itself very well to the style of a Scout and hopefully cut down on the wind blast.

#2: Luggage rack. For now I’d like to keep the Scout as basic and minimal looking as possible but at the very least I’d like to have a retro looking luggage rack where I could mount a luggage roll or pack. I’ve posted 2 photos of very basic ones (again from a Harley Sportster).

Twinhit had done some very nice photo shop pics on the 2 other threads I mentioned but I’m wondering if any of you have any other ideas/suggestions. Thanks!

Sample_04.jpg Sample_03.jpg Sample_01.jpg Sample_02.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
After having a short summer shield on my Triumph bonneville i REALLY noticed the lack of on the demo ride. I must have someting to block the wind some. I would consider a similar style like on my bike....all clear, a little over 2' wide and about 2' tall with rounded corners. Its harder to see since all clear so doesnt stand out announcing ive fot a faring on my bike but it really is a subtle change for a mid level of wind protection.

After watching a lot of Sons of Anarchy lately bunge watching with the wife i do think the sporty type like you posted might be decent looking or even in clear. It needs something for any trip of length yobat least slow the wind snd bug death.

Ive never had a bike rack so have wondered how effective they are for hauling stuff vs a set of saddle bags like the third party ones posted for ~$500-600.

That said i havent even ordered a Scout yet but im living vicarioudly thru you all!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kev, yeah, I'm pretty fortunate that I have another bike to go 2 up and it has saddlebags, so for now I'd like to keep the Scout as basic as possible just because I love the looks. And I totally agree, a rack won't be able to carry nearly as much as saddlebags but at least with a rack and a small pack, when my wife says to me, "hey Hon, I need a few items at the grocery store - do you want to take that NEW Scout of yours and get them for me?". AND I can say, "heck yeah, I'm on my way!". :cool: She did that 2 days after I had it and I had to use a back pack which wasn't too bad except I had to wear several layers cuz it was 35 degrees and it was a tight fit. Still a GREAT ride though.

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
OK, I realize these 2 items have been covered in other threads such as “Scout Wish List” and “Custom Scout” but I didn’t want this lost in those by now quite long threads. I’m expecting that the 2 items I’d like first will be provided by aftermarket makers in the very near future and I’m hoping that the people on this site will keep us apprised of the availability.

#1: I need some type of wind protection. I now have around 250 miles on the Scout and once I hit around 60 mph, the wind pressure is quite substantial – fine for a shorter ride but I expect it would get very tiring on longer rides. I know 3 sizes of windshields will be available but I’m holding out for something a bit more stylish/unique. I had a 1988 BMW K75c which had a very small fairing but it was remarkably effective- good enough to allow me a couple thousand mile days. I’ve attached a photo of the BMW for fairing size reference and a photo of an Arlen Ness fairing for a Sportster. I think this kind of fairing would lend itself very well to the style of a Scout and hopefully cut down on the wind blast.

#2: Luggage rack. For now I’d like to keep the Scout as basic and minimal looking as possible but at the very least I’d like to have a retro looking luggage rack where I could mount a luggage roll or pack. I’ve posted 2 photos of very basic ones (again from a Harley Sportster).

Twinhit had done some very nice photo shop pics on the 2 other threads I mentioned but I’m wondering if any of you have any other ideas/suggestions. Thanks!

View attachment 4597 View attachment 4598 View attachment 4599 View attachment 4600
I agree with you, both items are on my to buy list. I have read that Indian will have a rear rack out soon. I bet someone will offer a sport style windshield soon. I'm thinking all sorts of options will be available by mid 2015. I will probably wait a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have the DB fairing coming next week. I really have to believe Indian has a solo luggage rack in the works. That'd be sweet.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still waiting for my Scout but think this little fly screen from national cycle might do the trick.

I think both this National flyscreen and Ray's Dart flyscreen are a great style for the Scout and would definitely have to give at least a bit of relief from the wind. Great info to have.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The one style fairing that still intrigues me and is absolutely gorgeous IMHO is this one that Geronimo submitted to the "2015 Scout - Wish List" thread quite some time back. I think with a bit of styling change, it could fit a Scout's more retro styling. Of course all this is just dreaming because someone would have to design and build it first, but one can dream. :cool:
Ducati-sport-classic-663x497.jpg

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
The one style fairing that still intrigues me and is absolutely gorgeous IMHO is this one that Geronimo submitted to the "2015 Scout - Wish List" thread quite some time back. I think with a bit of styling change, it could fit a Scout's more retro styling. Of course all this is just dreaming because someone would have to design and build it first, but one can dream. :cool:
View attachment 4625
Got this one on our Ducati. Requires clip-ons, won't work with existing bars. Also, there is an entire contraption for the light which is attached to the fairing. Won't work with ours either.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got this one on our Ducati. Requires clip-ons, won't work with existing bars. Also, there is an entire contraption for the light which is attached to the fairing. Won't work with ours either.
Lovely bike though, huh? :cool:. Would just love a similar shape made for a Scout. Dreaming! HA!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Lovely bike though, huh? :cool:. Would just love a similar shape made for a Scout. Dreaming! HA!
Sorry, didn't mean to sound negative. It's actually not that hard to fit a fairing to any bike, even ours. And there are some very cool 'streamliner' old bikes used on the salt flats. Anyway, to get that particular one, google Air Tech Streamlining. Then go to Ducati and find the SportClassic models. You'll find a replica of this one which is actually better than the Italian made one. There is a picture there of a race bike we used to sponsor, a beast I might add. As far as mounting it, you need a good fabricator who is comfortable with aluminum. The fairing is held to the body and tank with just four simple tabs. They might actually offer these online. The hard part is fabing a light harness that brings the light forward and away from the body about a foot. It's not hard - an aluminum bracket is built and is attached to the fairing. You will need new bars, possibly risers, and you'll need to relocate the blinkers possibly to the fairing itself. The Ducati light is nearly 8inches, ours (our light that is) is 5 1/4. If you use the fairing from the Paul Smart, it'll come with a big hole so you'll need a bigger light. You can buy the hole-less race addition and cut it to size.

There are cheaper fairings like the one we put on our Dream (see picture). I think all in we spend $500 for that one (inc two cans of yellow spray can).

PM me for more detail and depending of where you are in the country, I can possibly put you in touch with a fabricator who can put the pieces together for you.

Attachments

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Can see this is a hot item. May take a while before someone gets it right. I will know when I see it. I would rather ride without a screen than ruin the looks of the machine. The Scout has a distinctive style and I hope to stay with it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, didn't mean to sound negative. It's actually not that hard to fit a fairing to any bike, even ours. .
Meggie, didn't view it negatively at all - just saw it as you stating facts which I already pretty much assumed. :) Thanks for all the great info and offer of more info. Similar to what Taboote stated, I'm also going to wait a bit to see what suppliers come out with because I'm just so fond of the looks of the stock Scout that I don't wanna mess it up!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to sound negative. It's actually not that hard to fit a fairing to any bike, even ours. And there are some very cool 'streamliner' old bikes used on the salt flats. Anyway, to get that particular one, google Air Tech Streamlining. Then go to Ducati and find the SportClassic models. You'll find a replica of this one which is actually better than the Italian made one. There is a picture there of a race bike we used to sponsor, a beast I might add. As far as mounting it, you need a good fabricator who is comfortable with aluminum. The fairing is held to the body and tank with just four simple tabs. They might actually offer these online. The hard part is fabing a light harness that brings the light forward and away from the body about a foot. It's not hard - an aluminum bracket is built and is attached to the fairing. You will need new bars, possibly risers, and you'll need to relocate the blinkers possibly to the fairing itself. The Ducati light is nearly 8inches, ours (our light that is) is 5 1/4. If you use the fairing from the Paul Smart, it'll come with a big hole so you'll need a bigger light. You can buy the hole-less race addition and cut it to size.

There are cheaper fairings like the one we put on our Dream (see picture). I think all in we spend $500 for that one (inc two cans of yellow spray can).

PM me for more detail and depending of where you are in the country, I can possibly put you in touch with a fabricator who can put the pieces together for you.
Meggie, I was just reading the article on the Mecum antique bike auction in LA. The lead photo in the article was of a Norton commando with a yellow fairing. It looks remarkably similar to the fairing you have on the bike in your picture (without that huge monstrosity of Norton gas tank though). Made me wonder if there was some kind of manufacturing link between the two -- would be a heckuva coincidence.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I had one like this on a Ducati:

Ray, I also had a flyscreen similar to this by the same company. Mine was for my 2012 Triumph Storm.
It was surprising how much actual protection that it gave you going down the road.
I bought a full windscreen that fit the big three cylinder Triumph (dual headlights) but after much agonizing over the $600.00 price that I paid I went back to the smaller flyscreen because it protected me better with a LOT LESS buffeting!

If I didn't already have a Indian windscreen on order I would probably try one of these on the Scout.
I like the idea of the Indian screen being very convertible for use in just minutes.
Fly screen.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts