Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stage 3 put in my 2016 Roadmaster over the winter. Rode it about a half dozen times since I got it back last month. Started good ran good until yesterday (4 - 18). Took over a dozen tries to get it to fire up, but then it started and ran a little rough but then smoothed out as it warmed up. Ran good during the ride. Today (4 - 19) went to start it...

two cranks and a loud bang, like a gun shot! Then nothing. Push the "start" button, everything seems normal. Push the "starter" and everything goes black. After a couple seconds, the display etc., comes back on.

No Codes!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Where was the bang? Exhaust or under the seat/motor somewhere?

Two things come to mind. One is a misfire which can sometimes happen if the motor is almost at top dead centre and the compression release can't operate in time. I have a mate with a high compression motor (not Indian) and his bike sounds like a hand grenade on startup.

The second thing is that the noise was a major electrical short that has blown something like the ECM or the starter solenoid.

Taking a dozen times to get it to fire up sounds like a possible fuel delivery problem. But your comment about everything going black for a few seconds sounds like electrical.

Will the motor start now? It's not clear from "the display etc., comes back on" if anything else is working or not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it took a dozen times for it to start, it would crank a couple times then sputter and quit. Kept doing that until it finally started. There was some dark smoke coming from the exhaust, when it was sputtering. After it started I let it run until it smoothed out, then went for a 30 mile ride. The bike ran good for that 30 miles.

Then today when I tried to start it, two cranks and a bang.

It will not start now. "the display etc., comes back on" By that I mean when I push the starter button, I hear a click and the bike goes dead, no power. After a couple seconds the electrical power comes back. Display comes back on, music comes on. Everything acts/looks normal until the starter button is pushed again. Like I'm shorting the bike every time I push the starter button.

I hope that is a better description.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a stage 3 put in my 2016 Roadmaster over the winter. Rode it about a half dozen times since I got it back last month. Started good ran good until yesterday (4 - 18). Took over a dozen tries to get it to fire up, but then it started and ran a little rough but then smoothed out as it warmed up. Ran good during the ride. Today (4 - 19) went to start it...

two cranks and a loud bang, like a gun shot! Then nothing. Push the "start" button, everything seems normal. Push the "starter" and everything goes black. After a couple seconds, the display etc., comes back on.

No Codes!
More sounds to me like the battery failed or blew up. By what your saying about the display and it not cranking over, sounds like no or very low battery voltage

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More sounds to me like the battery failed or blew up. By what your saying about the display and it not cranking over, sounds like no or very low battery voltage
If the battery blew I see no evidence of it. Just had the ECM up out of the way when I checked the terminals. Also my Optimate 3 battery maintainer says the battery is good. I'll check the voltage in the morning with a tester.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Having the electrical system turn off when you press the start button sounds like the battery does not have enough juice to run everything and turn the motor, or your VCU is fried.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Wasn't there to hear if the bang was a mechanical bang, or an ignition Bang.
But I'm going with a mechanical bang.
I wonder if the starter didn't take a dive and now shorts the system out.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Energy going down (making "everything going black") at cranking attempt is one of 3 things:

1) the starter is "overwhelming battery" due to bad battery OR

2) the starter is "overwhelming battery" due to short in the starter motor or solenoid OR

3) the starter is "overwhelming battery" due to seized engine : can you make the engine rotate while pushing the bike (with some help) in gear (in 2nd or third gear)? To help overcoming compression resistance you can remove the spark plugs as well ...

(hopefully it's just 1 or 2!)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
523 Posts
Plus one on bad starter. My starter went bad on my 111. Acted just like a cold weather start. ( Slow crank, start and backfire, then stall.) Had starter replaced and back to normal.

·
Bronze member
3,399 Posts
the only experience I have with a big bore motor is from Victory... I have a 03 Vegas which came as a 92ci and the big bore took it to 100ci.. the starter lasted about a month (the bike had 15K on the clock before the install)... and was very hard to start.. never had a bang but just wouldn't cut it turning the motor over... finally gave out and I replaced it with no further problems

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Local Dealer opens tomorrow (4 - 21). Going to call them and see if they can come pick up the bike. Still under warranty. The starter has been cranking a little slower since the stage 3 was installed. 29,200 miles on the bike. I was thinking about finding a stronger battery before this happened. I seem to remember a thread mentioning a battery with 500 CCA (cold cranking amps). I'll look that up and see if that's something I'm interested in.

My Local dealer is hit and miss. Sometimes they are on top of things and other times you have to keep at them to get results. Communication issues, etc. The bike is scheduled for a tune at Fuel Moto on 5/12. I hope this doesn't screw that up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brought the battery to Batteries Plus to be tested to either replace it or eliminate it as the cause. It tested out at 294 CCA, so the battery is good. I'll call my local dealer tomorrow and see when they can pick the bike up. Finger crossed they can come get it soon. "Glass half full" say's, be happy the bike is still under warranty.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the only experience I have with a big bore motor is from Victory... I have a 03 Vegas which came as a 92ci and the big bore took it to 100ci.. the starter lasted about a month (the bike had 15K on the clock before the install)... and was very hard to start.. never had a bang but just wouldn't cut it turning the motor over... finally gave out and I replaced it with no further problems
This is my first V-Twin. Came from Goldwings (boxer 6). So I have no idea if from new, the starter was turning over slow or not. It turned over slower than my Goldwings did, but it always started up descent. It has been about a month since I started riding it after the Stage 3.

·
Registered
72 Posts
WTG eliminating the battery, either starter or wiring, I'd go with starter!
It might be different bikes but mechanics are the same!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts