Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
930am Headed south 101 to Solvang California, today. Met with Sal ( both of us Hollister IMRG & forum here ) and his 2014 Chief Vintage metallic blue customized work of art that he painted himself. Sure made my 2015 ChIef Vintage look dull and dirty. Talked other bunch bike, stuff , mods, fads, new and old etc..Got cleaning tips too lol. So we started with coffee and pastries at 'The Bakery' then 1pm rode to the Hitchin Post bbq pit in Buellton a couple miles west, rested the bikes in the shade and grab a burger with a side of a whole ribeye steak (um...a local delicacy) . Sat at picnic tables outside. Soon devoured the smoky flavored beef. Saw 3 other Indians on the freeway 2 Chieftains, one Roadmaster. 1 Dark Horse Chief parked earlier in west Solvang. Saw a new customized HD up from LA , snazzy. T
y w/e . Home 5pm, zz1solvanga.jpg zz11solvange.jpg zz11solvangf.jpg zz11solvangc.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay after seeing how drrty and grubby my indian looked compared to Sal's. i got down to the cleaning. Stripped off the leather bags and stuff. Used some ajax degreaser/household detergent on the chroe and engine sprayed off with a sub-power hose. Ran spray of GUNK chrome and engine degreaser(most of the products listed by other forumers were unavailable at the autozone store).Plenty paint cleaners but not engine chrome cleaners. I used this to take off melted indian rainsuit trouser bottoms. At last after a few score scrapes with wire brush and its just chrome again. I proceeded to use on the rest of the chrome work. And nicely started improving the general chrome appearance. I washed the degreaser off and then hand dried with a series of towel cloths. After that I used mothers chrome polish on all the chrome and then buffed it up with some more dry cloths. I guess tomorrow I get on the dolly and do the lower and underneath chrome etc. Im ignoring the sidecar so far, just covered in old bath towels. After ive dione the upper bike and lower /under neath of bike wheels etc. Last thing I will do is I will polish up the paintwork with a different product.then replace the bags and leather accoutrements.( Today took 3 hours to complete. )

·
Registered
639 Posts
Looking good Hank. Always a Good time hanging out with you

·
Bronze member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the heads up with cleaning methods. Took me 3 days lol. Still got the front wheel clank to sort out. was going to Hollister this w/e but 4 of my colleagues down with the covid, whole place quarantibes and we're first responders so doing o/t and business as usual. Will get new sidecar wheel then be back in Solvang mid august. will miss the cambria trip tomorrow pity. But o/t $ lures me. have fun Hank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts