Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gunna share my inexperience with you here a little. Bought a challenger dark horse, been loving it so far. Threw some tab performance zombie baffles on, and grabbed the indian air intake. Seems like a good step up from stock, but I'm from wisconsin where bikes are a little more obnoxious than 'a good step up'. As it sits I feel like the volume is okay, just not anything impressive or even head turning.

Naturally, my mind goes to the cat delete, mostly because it's so ugly sitting under the bike lol.

Now my question is: I've never experienced what they sound like in person with a 2-1-2. I know I'll lose some bottom end and everything, especially with the zombies, but I want an idea of how loud itll actually end up after the cat delete. Am I going to have to pull the throttle when rolling past a cop, or am I just asking for attention. I dont have an issue grabbing a smaller baffle and throwing it on the right side and keeping a zombie on the left, I'd just like to know what everybody else thinks in advance before I end up having to put it all back together and waiting for a smaller baffle.

Also, I see tab performance has some torque rings. Personally I've never used them, or heard of anyone else using them, so does anyone have any insights/reviews on them in the challenger?

·
Bronze member
1,248 Posts
Rob, I HAD the TAB Zombies with cat delete pipe and Indian Stage I air box with tune. You will make a LOT of noise, once the delete pipe is gone....but the bike suffered big time in terms of low speed/low RPM performance. This engine really needs some backpressure for optimum performance, of which an aftermarket tune is coming, which may address this issue. But I still have my ZOMBIE inserts with the hope that once a tune comes out and takes into account this baffle, I MIGHT put them back in. The sound level is OK at idle....but above 3,000RPM, they bark with the cat delete. I wasn't willing to keep the sound in exchange for poor performce. Hope that helps. Call TAB and talk to the guys about the Z-torque rings....I think it's mostly cosmetic to be honest with you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My DH has Stage1Air, TAB decat, TAB pipes with the quieter 1.75 baffles.
This is the ideal setup to me...
Engine is strong/smooth thru the powerband, noticeable gains vs stock (and I’m honest about perceived perf changes, try NOT to be influenced by the psych part of spending $$$ and then telling myself “oh yeah it’s better” to justify it.)
I’ve had LOUD setups before on well-tuned VRods & Buell’s. I’m done with loud just to be loud. I want great performance AND now to enjoy the ride without waking up neighbors or being heard 3 blocks away. Not to mention enjoying the clear music on vol 5 rolling at 75.
This setup is deeper/louder than stock & the engine likes the baffle backpressure, esp with decat.
Sidenote: we lose 8lbs without the cat, AND each TAB pipe (w/baffle) is 2.5lbs lighter than stock pipes.
Total weight loss was 13lbs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have tabs with the 2.5 baffles, stage 1 map and cat delete. I my bike screams when I open that throttle. Tach winds up fast. My butt dyno approves.

·
Bronze member
1,248 Posts
I have tabs with the 2.5 baffles, stage 1 map and cat delete. I my bike screams when I open that throttle. Tach winds up fast. My butt dyno approves.
War machine, that's exactly the set up I have on my Challenger. Do you sense/notice any fuel starvation when accelerating as you come out of a corner? No problems with power....and the needle on the tach does move very quickly to redline, but I sense we really need a "tune" to add some more fuel to the mix here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I only have a couple hours of riding on it since the install. Haven't noticed any subtle nuances of any fueling issues yet. Guess I'm too excited to notice. I'm sure its leaned out slightly. But im fortunate to live two miles from lloyds garage in lowell,nc I'm sure they will be able to tune it soon.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Dynojet is working on the midpipe tuner as we speak. As I learn more I will update. Pipe just got Installed. But it will be with a PC5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts