Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a short ride for tacos and cobbler. Did about 150 miles today, give or take. Two things I have noticed. The horn is weak sauce, and there is no Trip-odometer. Loving the suspension, very well planted and just absorbs everything I have been over so far like a champ. Wish I had the heated grips today. Those get installed on Wednesday. I will be getting a flip style windshield. The company I like doesn't have one yet though.

·
5 years +
188 Posts
Did a short ride for tacos and cobbler. Did about 150 miles today, give or take. Two things I have noticed. The horn is weak sauce, and there is no Trip-odometer. Loving the suspension, very well planted and just absorbs everything I have been over so far like a champ. Wish I had the heated grips today. Those get installed on Wednesday. I will be getting a flip style windshield. The company I like doesn't have one yet though.
Yes there is. Look for the "ODO" widget and tap on that and Trip 1 shows up tap on it again and Trip 2 shows up if you keep your finger on it too long it will clear to zero on whatever one is being displayed including ODO

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there is. Look for the "ODO" widget and tap on that and Trip 1 shows up tap on it again and Trip 2 shows up if you keep your finger on it too long it will clear to zero on whatever one is being displayed including ODO
That is awesome, I totally missed that. Thanks a ton.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Nice bike! I'm liking the 400 miles on mine so far.

Thank you! This has been frustrating me that there was no trip meter...or so I thought.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Congratulations LawnD

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I was in the same boat on the trip meter. Ignorance is bliss I guess. I still on my first short ride, total of 7,000 miles since the end of November, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought home my Chally Base yesterday and in doing so I popped my Indian cherry so to speak. I’ve been riding a total of 38 yrs, 26 of it on the street. I owned Japanese sport bikes until age 25, after which I made the switch to HD for touring and Ducati’s for performance. 2 years ago I sold the last bikes I owned which were a Road King that I toured on and a V-rod I rode for performance.

So for the past two years I have been working at least 2 full time jobs and only riding when on vacation or visiting my parents in Spearfish, South Dakota and I utilized an Eagle Rider membership to facilitate these rentals. The reality of it was it worked out well. No maintenance/upkeep, washing, storage, or insurance/ownership costs. Just fly in somewhere and pick up a bike from the nearest eagle rider rental center and ride the heck out of whatever bike I rented, then drop it off bug covered and dirty never to be seen again. Fast forward to the IMS motorcycle show at the Minneapolis Convention Center in February that I only happened to even be at because my fiancé’s niece was playing in a volleyball tournament on the other end of the building and a guy in the lobby was selling an extra ticket for whatever cash I had in my pocket which happened to be $3 and all of the sudden I found myself inside the Minneapolis Motorcycle show staring at a 2020 Challenger Base prominently displaying a tag with the MSRP of $21,999 thinking that there is no way that price can be right.

Needless to say I spent the next couple weeks lining up my loan (Wings Financial), insurance (Geico was the cheapest for me), and trying to find a dealership with one available cuz the only thing harder to find in stock to purchase right now than a box of medical masks is a base Challenger!

I picked mine up on 3/7 from Zachos in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin which I highly recommend especially due to the great communication from my salesman Troy! Finally onto my reason for this post. Do I like the bike? Well hell yeah that’s why I bought it. When I saw it at the show I was cautiously optimistic thinking could it really be the perfect combo of comfort & performance? Then I demo’d one and for anyone that is on the fence, ride one. It will be the defining moment for you. The power this bike has out of the box is truly eye opening. Are there things that I don’t love? Absolutely, but no vehicle manufacture is going to check all the boxes for every customer with any 1 product. It’s just not realistic. So I rode the 100 or so miles back to the Twin Cities yesterday and then once I got home I took it back out for another 100 miles.

My verdict? This is the best bike out there dollar for dollar straight off the showroom floor. I love the power, the handling, the smooth shifts, the ease of operation of the hard bags, the adjustable windshield, the paint, the lines, the exhaust note sounds amazing (@TAB Performance slip-ons and Zombie baffles), and the power. I know I said power twice but it has that much power it needs to be said a second time!

Now for the items I don’t love but they are personal preference and I can live with them. Oh that clutch... The only positive I can find with it is that it works. I’ll leave it at that. This next one is easily fixed with a part that is currently available and my guess is only about half the owners feel the same as I do but for those that love the feeling and ease of crushing a heel/toe shifter for your upshifts you will be cursing yourself in no time at all when you repeatedly go for an upshift and get a heel full of air, and again, and again. Finally, onto the terrible. The handlebar controls are the worst I have had on a bike since the kill switch on my 1981 XR100. I don’t mean just my personal preference that the blinker switch not have both the left and right turn signals on one switch on the left bar. I mean that me having average sized hands (glove size L/XL) nothing is really convenient to reach. I understand it’s a new bike for me and I have to get used to where the controls are located but it takes a stretch of the thumb to make contact with any of the controls, and that brings me to worst item I have found on the 2020 Indian Challenger so far in the 200 miles I have ridden mine. By far the worst thing on this bike is the radio control multi-position post. It just does not function correctly, period! With 1 mile on the bike straight off the showroom floor this radio switch would hardly change the volume up or down and side to side to change the station was literally like a strength test which I obviously won because before I even made it the 100 miles home from the dealer to my driveway the post switch broke. At least I had that great exhaust note to listen to...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry I’m not an expert on paragraph formation, I actually work for a living...
Yes, so do the rest of us.
Congrats on the new bike. I do agree the clutch is not my favorite, and I prefer the HD style turn signals.
Hopefully Indian get that broken switch fixed asap for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see you are quite active in this forum @BaggerJay have you found a dealer in Canada with a red Challenger yet, or did you decide to wait to buy and watch as the Challengers pass you by?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I see you are quite active in this forum BaggerJay have you found a dealer in Canada with a red Challenger yet, or did you decide to wait to buy and watch as the Challengers pass you by?
Yes I am very active here. I know more about the bike than anyone at the three dealers close to me. I've also ridden it, which none of them have done.

No dealers any where close to me has a red one, I have to order it.

I'm also still concerned about the issues a select few have. I currently have a perfectly running motorcycle. I love the Challenger, but I also love to ride. In Canada if my bike was down for 2 1/2 months like some guys have been I'd miss half the season. I currently ride about 10 000 miles a year, knowing the bike is trouble free would certainly mean a lot.

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
Don't know what our Canadian friend is talkin' about here TC, but even though I'm now retired and thus don't work for a living anymore, I thought your use of paragraphing in the above was just fine, along with your spelling, syntax and general use of proper grammar, and thus had NO problem at all with your post about your shiny new Challenger and your overall review of it, and found it a very good read, indeed.

(...and so maybe it's ALSO a good thing for Jay that I didn't see you use any words in your post that perhaps to Jay would require you to spell 'em with that OH so needless and unnecessary British superfluous letter 'u', as I don't recall you mentioning what 'color' your new Challenger is?!) ;)

LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
@BaggerJay I live in Minnesota so I know all to well about the short riding season. Having confidence in a trusted, reliable bike goes along way however, for me the experience of getting involved with something on the ground level is something special that doesn’t come along every day. Cheers to many miles of safe riding regardless of what your on...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts