Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick review after my first 1166 miles. This report is based on a mixture of miles, from highway to some windy back roads and from short rides to a 398 mile day. I will do my best to avoid much of what has been said by sticking to some of my personal experiences. The first 923 were with a stock bike and the most recent 243 with stage one muffler set up. The first 1166 has been trouble free.

Three warranty items to note. Thanks to others on this forum a set of hard bags were order prior to my arrival at the dealer for pick up. During my walk around I requested the chrome head light surround has a small mark next to both screws. A picture was taken and Indian sent a replacement which arrived with the same manufactures defect. The third being two conspicuous marks on my chrome dash under the dash RHS. The replacement for this came in damaged in a different spot however this is when my dealer stepped up, Indian Motorcycles of Union NJ, took another one off a floor model to fix mine. They had to remove and shim the fairing which will prevent this from happening in the future. I performed the break in oil change and the dealer finished the rest of the check list including a compression check.

Mirrors seem to work fine when they don't slip downward. Will need to try righting them again. Next is that kill switch, if I told you the bike has been shut off twice while riding (once while at a stop next time was at 89 mph) which is of coarse rider error however it does reveal my option of the placement. Next comes the reach necessary for cruise operation. See my prior comment and note that if these two were switched I believe it would be an improvement IMHO. I love the front fender except for the break dust it so effectively traps onto the front rim. Lastly is after adjusting the exhaust clamp, the first hard part to scraps asphalt, I first drug the LS floorboard. This took quite a few miles and a mission to work towards this and now the RS floor board has been marked as well. With the limits now explored I believe with proper riding technique most should not touch down very often, most will never experience it. Thumbs up to Indian as it feels like you will over ride the tires before dragging parts. As comfortable as the seat is for a stock piece I will have it reworked as it seems a little to soft. Not all bad.

My ears appreciated the stock set up and gave me a good reference point to compare the stage one set up. Well.....My ears are in love with this new sound track they call stage one. The butt dyno tells me this has slightly up the power however the most note able changes come via, crisper throttle, power band is stretched out. Now 55 in 5th gear seems to be a sweet spot in the power to give one example of one gear/speed that comes to mind. And did I mention that uniquely Indian sound from this set up is fantastic?

I'm 6'3' weighing at 200lbs. The Chieftain has exceeded my expectations in many many ways. From the great pocket of air behind the adjustable wind shield to the incredible TS 111 this is definitely a major contender in the motorcycle world. One thing is for sure...I made a great choice for myself by committing to purchase a Chieftain back on August 15th. It is amazing Indian got so many things right and have brought this brand back to life. Yep they are hear to stay.

Hope to meet many of you some day on a ride...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Indians don't do K's / miles. They do sleeps. Looks like you've done about 46 sleeps. Nice report.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats! And thanks for the detailed review.

Keith

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice review!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts