Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a '53 Indian Warrior for sale but I have not been able to find a lot of information on them. I know they're a 500cc vertical twin if I remember correctly. The owner says he thinks the generator has gone bad (?) and isn't running at the moment. The bike is complete and comes with an extra rear section. Does anyone know of a place to maybe find some used or reproduction parts for these? Any sites that would have information about the Warrior models? Can I check the VIN to verify if it's a true Indian? I think it would be neat to have one around but the price seems a little high to me at $4500. Thoughts?

·
Bronze member
1,238 Posts
I wish Indian would bring a retro warrior bike back from the riding grounds in the sky like they did with the chief and Scout. 450-70cc be awesome.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am pretty surew that the vertical twins were made by Triumph so there should be plenty of parts for the generator and the engine, but for the rest of the bike I have no idea

Reactions: hankharmony

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
The vertical twins were not made by Triumph. They were made by Indian under the Ralph Rodgers ownership which destroyed the company. They were intended to be modular engines with up to 4 cylinders but the whole thing was a disaster. Poorly designed and shoddy workmanship of the vertical twins which appeared in 1949 ruined the reputation of the company. They brought back the flathead Chiefs as a last ditch effort and made improvements to the vertical twins but by 1953 it was too little too late.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
670 Posts
Oh but those '53 Chiefs were a beautiful thing! It is rumored there were some '54's assembled from parts around the factory and dealerships in order to for fulfill contracts with police departments and such. I have seen one of these bikes called a '54 which was a NYPD bike in a magazine back in the late 70's or early 80's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds like this year and model isn't really worth putting any effort into?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
2,052 Posts
So it sounds like this year and model isn't really worth putting any effort into?

It is a rare and unusual bike but parts will be hard to come by. I've seen a few in museums but not running. Because it is such a rare machine, if the one you're looking at is original, complete, and would run then I'd say it's worth $4,500. The generator should be repairable. Most of them grenaded things like crankcases and crankshafts when they failed, from what little I know about it from talking to riders who remember the period. One complete and running would be a hit at an AMCA show if restored. It wouldn't be my 1st choice for a daily rider.
--- Randall

·
2,052 Posts
@nutz4spd
Here is a link to an ad for an earlier model where the asking price was $9,500, which is listed as SOLD.
--- Randall

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@nutz4spd
Here is a link to an ad for an earlier model where the asking price was $9,500, which is listed as SOLD.
--- Randall
That is a beautiful bike. This is the one I came across. It is missing a few things that I can see. Muffler, left foot peg... I've noticed the tail light is in a different location than others I've seen too. It's mounted higher up.

·
2,052 Posts
That is a beautiful bike. This is the one I came across. It is missing a few things that I can see. Muffler, left foot peg... I've noticed the tail light is in a different location than others I've seen too. It's mounted higher up.

The example I linked to is fairly stock. This one's tins do not appear to be original, which would certainly impact the asking price as I'd expect finding original ones would be difficult. It does have the advantage of being the final version, thus incorporating any improvements made in the design. At least it isn't sitting in a pool of oil... it's certainly not something you see everyday. There are lots of photos if you Google "1953 Indian Warrior". I'd say it depends on whether you want an old bike project and have the extra scratch to mess with it. I enjoy that kind of thing myself.
--- Randall

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jerry Greer or Starklite have some parts for these models in their inventory. i am not sure home complete their support for the verticles is.
not sure if Kiwi has gotten into this arena.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The example I linked to is fairly stock. This one's tins do not appear to be original, which would certainly impact the asking price as I'd expect finding original ones would be difficult. It does have the advantage of being the final version, thus incorporating any improvements made in the design. At least it isn't sitting in a pool of oil... it's certainly not something you see everyday. There are lots of photos if you Google "1953 Indian Warrior". I'd say it depends on whether you want an old bike project and have the extra scratch to mess with it. I enjoy that kind of thing myself.
--- Randall
It would definitely be a long term project. I've been looking for odds and ends for that model and year and very little comes up. I did find a place in AZ on the AMCA website that specializes in the older Indians. It's making my gears turn now...

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is my 49 Scout, Warriors were similar , bigger pistons and other differences. Mine is mostly right, that one is clearly assembled from other brands, hard to say what is right from those pictures but many parts are not. I'll put a picture in tomorrow. Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts