Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I assume you're talking about the green wire at the top. I also assume that you believe the generator to be behind the point plate. Notice that below the point plate is a word cast into the housing. That word is LUCAS. British electrical equipment maker commonly used on almost all Brit bikes and cars of the era. Joseph Lucas is also know as "the prince of darkness" and quoted as having stated "gentlemen do not motor about after dark." Also purported to be the reason that Brits drink warm beer and eat cold food, as Lucas also built refrigerators and stoves. You may gather from that small sample of jokes that Lucas was never able to earn a reputation for reliability. :eek:

Joking aside, you really need to get a proper manual for this thing. The operating principles that are at play here are not necessarily those that you might think of as standard. For instance, it is probably intended to be "positive earth" wiring, meaning the positive side of the battery is ground and negative is switched, completely opposite what we now think of as standard practice. The single wire you have may be as designed, and the circuit may complete through the case of the engine and frame.

At any rate, it is of utmost importance that you understand how the system is designed to work and what each part is supposed to do before you can properly troubleshoot it. If you don't know what it's actually supposed to do, how can you know what it's doing wrong or not doing?

There is a reprint of the repair manual for that bike on Ebay right now.
Indian Brave Motorcycle Manual ~ Maintenance / Parts List ~ Reprnt | eBay

And there is a reprint of the parts manual also, which are very helpful with exploded views of how parts go in relation to each other, as well as getting OEM part numbers to help find the things you may be missing.
Indian Brave Motorcycle Parts List Manual ~ Brockhouse ~ 1955 ~ Reprnt | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the manual and have doing some reading. Nothing like I have ever seen except on a Jaguar I worked on. Crazy

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
ran into this thread and got my curiosity tickled.
all i can find about the Indian Brave is that it was an English built bike sold in Indian dealerships alongside the last of the big twin flatheads. what i can't find is any reference as to which English built bike it was.
this project seems to have been conjured up by the Brockhouse sales dept of the Indian Motocycle company. as i understand it, Brockhouse was only a sales agency. so they must have taken an existing bike and rebadged it. does anybody know what make it originally was?

·
Bronze member
3,096 Posts
You should have an armiture wire and a field wire to a regulator,or a cut out box in the older stuff,british like to use a alternator with a rectifier,a three plate deal with three wires.
Then a zenier diode with a heat sink near the front of the bike.
If you have a rectifier that might explain the one wire.
Lucas wireing is positive earth ,but some have changed that to a battery eliminator,that's a large capacitor,usually has a vibration mounting spring around it.
Good luck with your project,not many old-timers left that remember that stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Is your engine for sale? I have a complete bike without the engine and would like to buy your engine, if it is for sale!

·
Registered
123 Posts
i have wondered what bike the Brave was b4 Indian began selling it. could never find anything, or anybody that had a clue.
recently i stumbled into a pic of what looked like a Brave but that tank logo was different. i don't have the pic to share. but the logo said "Indian CZ". . . ?
maybe it was an old Eastern Block made bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts