Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I found a 1949 scout that i would like to purchase. The bike is basically complete and the engine turns over. Looks lije about 90% original but needs restorwd or at keast a bunch of tlc. I have 2 questions and hope someone can helo. The #'s on the frame and engine DONOT match. From research they?are both proper 1949 models but framw is 1141 while eng is 1335. I believe they should mat h correct? How much does this affect the value and what would an estimate be in fair but basically compkete condition. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
The numbers do affect value but not as much as people think. Verticals don't command the same type of price as the V-twin Indians. The verticals were introduced as a way to combat the cheap British imported bikes. They were poorly engineered and cheaply made. By 1950 Indian had gone back to the big Chiefs but the damage was done. Typically a vertical Scout complete and running sells in the $8,000-12,000 range with a fully restored going for more. It's hard to say without seeing it and what all is included but my best guess would be +-$4,000 if everything's there. Parts are more of a challenge for verticals. Check out southwestvintagecycle.com. With all due respect do you have the skills to get bike together, running, and maintained? Old Indians aren't complicated but due require a certain wrenching ability. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. Thanks for the reply. This 49 is basically complete. It appears that possibly from a quick going over that the seat and spring ,throttle and cable and rubber footpegs covers arw not original. The peg rubbers actually say triumph molded on them. I have no issues doing the work. I like the motorcycle because to me it looks ki d of uniques and cool. I just am concerened with the non matching numbets although both are in the 1949 vin family. That and the price. I can not get him to budge off of $7500. Now confused!!!!! Thanks. Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts