Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1946 Chief frame, tranny and engine and are wondering about using Harley parts to get it on the road. Found a 48 Chief with a FLH front end pictured from the 70's but not to sure where to go from here. Any info would be appreciated if anyone knows if any certain year HD would be a close fit for wheels, brakes etc. Are not able to restore completely account monetary restrictions, no disrespect to true Indian riders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be aware that Harley and Indian are opposite in many ways. Indian - fine threads, axle left hand threads. Clutch, gears, and of course left hand throttle. Even the spark advance twists differently.

I hope that gives you an idea. I have most, if not all manuals and parts diagrams.

That said, our guru put a Franken bike together one winter, just because.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Where did you find the manuals. Most of the ones I've seen don't give a description as to the contents. Parts diagrams on Greer and Kiwi are what I've been going by. Guess I'm looking to pick someone's brain without becoming a nuisance. It's difficult with people who do this for a living account their time is valuable.

·
Bronze member
3,295 Posts
I have a shovelhead with Indian girder front end.
All big twins have a 1 inch neck post.
Sportsters,early triumphs Norton's have 7/8.
Nostalgia cycle parts has cross over numbers.
Old wheel cylinder brake parts were actually Willie's Jeep.(one example)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts