Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Silver member
4,977 Posts
Nice, how many did they manufacture in 1942 with the war in its infancy?

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really am not sure, I did read it somewhere but I am not sure how many.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
738 Posts
she's a beaut, Clark

·
Registered
373 Posts
16,647 mostly military. By contrast when they went back to civilian production in 1946 they only manufactured 3,621 but that number more than tripled by 1947.

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
16,647 mostly military. By contrast when they went back to civilian production in 1946 they only manufactured 3,621 but that number more than tripled by 1947.
Do you know how many of the civilianized ones they made? I can't find the website that had all the numbers on production over the years.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you know how many of the civilianized ones they made? I can't find the website that had all the numbers on production over the years.
I've never seen a breakdown but there were very few civilian bikes produced. Unfortunately when Indian shut down most of their records went with them. Some of the military bikes were bought and converted to civilian by their owners post war. They were just a motorcycle back then, not a piece of history, and they wanted to personalize them just like our modern Indian owners do. For example when the '47's came out the '46 guys wanted the Indian face fender light. For $5 you could get one from a dealer so they changed them and tossed the old one (try finding an original '46 fender light now - impossible). That's why so many '46's have the wrong fender light.

Hatfield's serial and production numbers are very good but by his admission not perfect. For 1946 he list the serial numbers as 101 and up and the production at 3,621 which would make the last serial number 3,722. My 46 Chief is 3,742 which would make it one of the if not the last 1946 produced.

Antique Indian Motorcycle Serial Numbers and Production Data

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you!

·
Early joiner
109 Posts
Ron H, you did a wonderful job on your bike this obviously is not your first restoration. I just bought a 48 Chief in that same color and was wondering if that color is called Checkerboard blue? Just for information I also have a red 1941 Indian Four and a red 1947 Knucklehead. I do some of my own work but my skill set is nothing near yours. It would be interesting to see some pictures of it pre restoration.
Thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts