Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yesterday was a beautiful day in west Michigan - blue sky, sunny, upper 50’s. Perfect day for the first ride of the season and for the first ride on my new 1920 Solo seat.

Bottom Line: Like night and day compared to stock seat. Couldn’t be happier with it.

When I first sat on it in my driveway, it felt very firm. There is padding, but you don’t sink into the seat, you sit on it if that makes sense. On the road it felt good. I rode for a little over 2 hours without stopping around town on normal roads and a highway. No pain, no pressure points, no discomfort at all. With the stock seat, I’m starting to hurt after about 45mins and it only gets much worse as the day goes on. CaptFlood has said to give it a couple of hundred miles for break-in so I expect some fit improvement but if not, I’m very happy with it as it is. As for the higher riding position, it was a non-issue for me. Now if I had switched over after some time on the stock seat, perhaps it would have felt differently but since I last rode in October there was no adjustment period. I tried a hard stop from about 45mph and I didn’t experience any shifting in the seat. I also rolled-on the throttle and accelerated very fast, and here is where a difference with the standard seat is noticeable: I did slide back a little, so if you hit the throttle hard, be prepared to move a little. We don’t have the best roads here and except for large potholes I didn’t try to avoid any bumps. You feel it more, to me it was not uncomfortable or jarring. I expect to do a lot more riding and if I experience any problems, I will update this post. Your experience may be different depending on how you ride your Scout. IMHO, Polaris should make the Solo seat the standard configuration for the Scout and Scout 60. Anyone want to buy a Tan Standard Reach Rider Seat? 😁

Also, CmosAdvantage did a VLOG review of this seat on a Scout Bobber. It's on YouTube, check it out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yesterday was a beautiful day in west Michigan - blue sky, sunny, upper 50’s. Perfect day for the first ride of the season and for the first ride on my new 1920 Solo seat.

Bottom Line: Like night and day compared to stock seat. Couldn’t be happier with it.

When I first sat on it in my driveway, it felt very firm. There is padding, but you don’t sink into the seat, you sit on it if that makes sense. On the road it felt good. I rode for a little over 2 hours without stopping around town on normal roads and a highway. No pain, no pressure points, no discomfort at all. With the stock seat, I’m starting to hurt after about 45mins and it only gets much worse as the day goes on. CaptFlood has said to give it a couple of hundred miles for break-in so I expect some fit improvement but if not, I’m very happy with it as it is. As for the higher riding position, it was a non-issue for me. Now if I had switched over after some time on the stock seat, perhaps it would have felt differently but since I last rode in October there was no adjustment period. I tried a hard stop from about 45mph and I didn’t experience any shifting in the seat. I also rolled-on the throttle and accelerated very fast, and here is where a difference with the standard seat is noticeable: I did slide back a little, so if you hit the throttle hard, be prepared to move a little. We don’t have the best roads here and except for large potholes I didn’t try to avoid any bumps. You feel it more, to me it was not uncomfortable or jarring. I expect to do a lot more riding and if I experience any problems, I will update this post. Your experience may be different depending on how you ride your Scout. IMHO, Polaris should make the Solo seat the standard configuration for the Scout and Scout 60. Anyone want to buy a Tan Standard Reach Rider Seat? 😁

Also, CmosAdvantage did a VLOG review of this seat on a Scout Bobber. It's on YouTube, check it out.
AWESOME report. I'm very glad to hear that you like the seat. It's worth every penny. Floorboards will make you feel even better if you don't have them yet. I like the OEM boards.

Western Michigan? I hope to hit up the middle of the mitten this summer. Maybe, COVID-19 not withstanding, we'll have to meet up for a beer.

Twang on!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
AWESOME report. I'm very glad to hear that you like the seat. It's worth every penny. Floorboards will make you feel even better if you don't have them yet. I like the OEM boards.

Western Michigan? I hope to hit up the middle of the mitten this summer. Maybe, COVID-19 not withstanding, we'll have to meet up for a beer.

Twang on!
Yes, let me know if you make the trip. The farmlands of west Michigan offer some great rides.
I have the floorboards, too. For me, much better on long rides than pegs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, let me know if you make the trip. The farmlands of west Michigan offer some great rides.
I have the floorboards, too. For me, much better on long rides than pegs.
Are you in GR or Big Rapids? I lived in GR WAY back in the day. The Pantlind Hotel was just going over renting apartments. Probably early 70s. Went to school at FSU. You have 'Holland' in your nickname so that's probably more like it.

;-)

I went back and looked at the picture of your Scout and saw the boards. Nice. Now we need a picture of the new seat on it!

'Grats again on the upgrade.

Twang on!

·
Rider
756 Posts
I have a 2019 Scout (not the Bobber) and decided I needed to do something about the crap standard seat before the start of this riding season.
The main issue for me was a lot of pain across my lower back a few inches above my tailbone. After no more than an hour I was really hurting and rest stops didn’t help. I think the problem for me was the the incline on the back of the seat creating pressure points.
My long distance bike is a 2017 Chief Vintage. Awesome ride. I rode from Michigan to New Mexico and back and never once had any discomfort from the seat.

Did a fair amount of research and was close to ordering a Corbin, but was never really sold on it because the back of that seat also has a steep incline like the Scout. There were a quite a few positive reviews so I convinced myself to give it a try, it looked good and really couldn’t be any worse. Due to the cost I did some more research which turned up the Indian 1920 Solo Seat. Several good reviews plus the price difference and seat shape convinced me to purchase the Solo.

Ordered the seat from Indian, and with the help of a good install YouTube from CmosAdvantage, my Scout has a new seat.

It’s still too cold here in western Michigan to ride, and I’m very anxious to see how it fits me. In the meantime, some initial comments:
1. I’m a real klutz when it comes to anything requiring mechanical tools. It was a challenge for me to do the install (I can hear you laughing at me!)
2. I like the way it looks on the bike
3. The seat is “firm” although it felt good sitting on it in the driveway
4. The new seat is 2” higher. The standard seat was 28” from the lowest point to ground. The 1920 Solo is 30”.
5. Didn’t have any issues reaching the grips or any controls with the higher position (I’m 5’8”)

I will ride on the first day of no rain and mid 50’s, and will post review on how it rides.

View attachment 582129 View attachment 582130
My neighbor put that 1920 seat on his 60,, he likes it, probably because he’s 5’-8” also . I rode it down the street and my ass felt like it was sliding off the seat..so,, he rode my scout down the street with the Corbin duel tour seat. And now he hates that chicken sh?t 1920 seat. Moral of the story is.. . “ ride somebody’s scout with the seat you think you want “. My apes, boards, and Corbin are a good setup, I’m 5’11 3/4” and fit perfect. A stock 60 or scout suck with a factory setup. 3 weeks after I bought my scout I had a Corbin, OEM apes, OEM Boards and rineharts and a hi-flow air system. and “ FLASHED “ now it rides like a sled should. 0 to 100 real quick...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Are you in GR or Big Rapids? I lived in GR WAY back in the day. The Pantlind Hotel was just going over renting apartments. Probably early 70s. Went to school at FSU. You have 'Holland' in your nickname so that's probably more like it.

;-)

I went back and looked at the picture of your Scout and saw the boards. Nice. Now we need a picture of the new seat on it!

Twang on!
I'm in Holland

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
My third season with the solo seat started just now. It needed a break-in period. After 6000 kms I love it! I have built a plywood plate with boat canopy hook attachments for a 75 litre Oxford waterproof bag, the plate is fastened to the OEM Scout luggage carrier. I have attached a back rest to the plate, matching the height of the solo seat. This , together with OEM floorboards, has converted my 2017 Scout into the «Roadmaster Scout». Oh, and also Freedom shield, FTR LED front light, stage 1 mufflers, Trask Hi-Perf air filter, Progressive suspension front springs. A nice touch is that the Oxfod bag, with its four bottom mounting shackles can be opened and closed at the roadside with no need for removing straps etc. And both OEM saddlebags are accessible at the same time. Planning to make fasteners for a Touratech spare fuel bottle at the rear end /under the plywood plate (Marine quality) . Will post some photos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

;-)

Twang on!
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I live in Holland Michigan. My first post in this thread has before and after seat pics.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts