Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Scout (not the Bobber) and decided I needed to do something about the crap standard seat before the start of this riding season.
The main issue for me was a lot of pain across my lower back a few inches above my tailbone. After no more than an hour I was really hurting and rest stops didn’t help. I think the problem for me was the the incline on the back of the seat creating pressure points.
My long distance bike is a 2017 Chief Vintage. Awesome ride. I rode from Michigan to New Mexico and back and never once had any discomfort from the seat.

Did a fair amount of research and was close to ordering a Corbin, but was never really sold on it because the back of that seat also has a steep incline like the Scout. There were a quite a few positive reviews so I convinced myself to give it a try, it looked good and really couldn’t be any worse. Due to the cost I did some more research which turned up the Indian 1920 Solo Seat. Several good reviews plus the price difference and seat shape convinced me to purchase the Solo.

Ordered the seat from Indian, and with the help of a good install YouTube from CmosAdvantage, my Scout has a new seat.

It’s still too cold here in western Michigan to ride, and I’m very anxious to see how it fits me. In the meantime, some initial comments:
1. I’m a real klutz when it comes to anything requiring mechanical tools. It was a challenge for me to do the install (I can hear you laughing at me!)
2. I like the way it looks on the bike
3. The seat is “firm” although it felt good sitting on it in the driveway
4. The new seat is 2” higher. The standard seat was 28” from the lowest point to ground. The 1920 Solo is 30”.
5. Didn’t have any issues reaching the grips or any controls with the higher position (I’m 5’8”)

I will ride on the first day of no rain and mid 50’s, and will post review on how it rides.

StandardSeat.jpeg 1920SoloSeat.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks great on the bike! I have the same seat on my bobber twenty, it looks great but isn’t super comfortable. It creates a good riding position which makes up for some of the lack of cushion, but I tend to start slipping off the back when I give it some gas. Overall I will probably keep it or at most switch to the Corbin version of the floating 1920 seat. Hope you like it, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2019 Scout (not the Bobber) and decided I needed to do something about the crap standard seat before the start of this riding season.
The main issue for me was a lot of pain across my lower back a few inches above my tailbone. After no more than an hour I was really hurting and rest stops didn’t help. I think the problem for me was the the incline on the back of the seat creating pressure points.
My long distance bike is a 2017 Chief Vintage. Awesome ride. I rode from Michigan to New Mexico and back and never once had any discomfort from the seat.

Did a fair amount of research and was close to ordering a Corbin, but was never really sold on it because the back of that seat also has a steep incline like the Scout. There were a quite a few positive reviews so I convinced myself to give it a try, it looked good and really couldn’t be any worse. Due to the cost I did some more research which turned up the Indian 1920 Solo Seat. Several good reviews plus the price difference and seat shape convinced me to purchase the Solo.

Ordered the seat from Indian, and with the help of a good install YouTube from CmosAdvantage, my Scout has a new seat.

It’s still too cold here in western Michigan to ride, and I’m very anxious to see how it fits me. In the meantime, some initial comments:
1. I’m a real klutz when it comes to anything requiring mechanical tools. It was a challenge for me to do the install (I can hear you laughing at me!)
4. The new seat is 2” higher. The standard seat was 28” from the lowest point to ground. The 1920 Solo is 30”.
5. Didn’t have any issues reaching the grips or any controls with the higher position (I’m 5’8”)

I will ride on the first day of no rain and mid 50’s, and will post review on how it rides.

View attachment 582129 View attachment 582130
I have the oem solo seat on my scout and looking to replace i

View attachment 582129 View attachment 582130
I have the tractor seat on my scout and I do not find it that comfortable. I'm thinking of switching to a mustang standard seat. Do I need any different mounting accessories or does the standard seat fit on the same mounting plate as the tractor style seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the oem solo seat on my scout and looking to replace i

I have the tractor seat on my scout and I do not find it that comfortable. I'm thinking of switching to a mustang standard seat. Do I need any different mounting accessories or does the standard seat fit on the same mounting plate as the tractor style seat.
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the tractor seat.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Looks great! I've been considering that seat but I think it will put me a little too high. What's the difference in seat height?

·
Registered
137 Posts
put the solo seat on mine last year and love it. Can ride for hours with no pain I'm 6' 275 lbs. Also like the change in position, gives me a better sense of control. I have drag bars on my bike so probably have a bit different riding position than most.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I should have said the 1920 OEM solo seat.
There is a flexible rubber pad that extends from under the fuel tank back a few inches under the standard seat. It must be removed for the Solo seat. I think you would need that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did my first over two hour ride with the 1920 seat yesterday and I was noticeably more comfortable than the stock or the extended reach seat. It does put me a bit higher but it's not a big deal. I'm just a little bit higher looking over the wind screen. I added some Clearview lowers and overall the ride is better. Not as much buffeting with full face helmet. I attribute that to the sitting a bit higher because of the seat and the addition of the lowers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did my first over two hour ride with the 1920 seat yesterday and I was noticeably more comfortable than the stock or the extended reach seat. It does put me a bit higher but it's not a big deal. I'm just a little bit higher looking over the wind screen. I added some Clearview lowers and overall the ride is better. Not as much buffeting with full face helmet. I attribute that to the sitting a bit higher because of the seat and the addition of the lowers.

View attachment 582404
Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting for riding weather. I like your saddlebags, where did you get them?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting for riding weather. I like your saddlebags, where did you get them?
You are welcome!

The bags are OEM. I keep them treated with Skidmores Leather Cream. Seats too. The bags have been getting Skidmores for over two years now and they are in great shape. I have only had the solo seat a few (non riding) winter months.

·
Rider
406 Posts
I am probably the unofficial 1920 Scout Solo Seat proselytizer on this forum, absolutely LOVING it after having put 14,000 miles on one on my Scout Sixty and another 2,000 on the same seat after transferring it over to my new Scout 69. Funny thing is, I HATED this seat initially. It rubbed me wrong in all the worst places and was only a marginal upgrade to the stock 2 x 4 it the Scout came with. The amount I had invested alone kept me using it and what I found was that after a few hundred miles, everything just ‘clicked.’ I think it had less to do with the seat breaking in, and much more to do with me adapting to the seat and the new riding position. Now I cannot imagine owning a Scout without one.

To anyone who’s considering one, try to give it a full 200-300 miles before passing final judgment. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had the seat for about a year and suffer from lower back problems. Absolute game changer. I feel I need to raise the handlebars , so considering either risers or reduced reach bars

1 - 20 of 28 Posts