Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Untilted.
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching high, and low for anything online that can tell me the max rider weight limit on the saddle. Couldn't find anything. I finally called Indian, and asked, and after getting 2 emails in response answer entirely different questions, I still have no answer from them.

I don't know why this data isn't freely available. In the cycling world, you can easily find the weight limit of the rider for most parts on the bike that carry the weight.

I'm a large guy, 6'3", built like a linebacker (broad). I weight 250-260 right now. If the saddle broke flying down the interstate at 80, that is catastrophic failure, and I'm probably not going to care because I'd be dead.

It's really infuriating dealing with this problem, and no one having a clear answer. That'd be an enormous lawsuit if any rider died, and it was because the saddle broke because of the way it's mounted, and it looks as if most of the weight is perched on the back end of the saddle, which is free hanging with no supports.

Indian wouldn't be able to claim it was rider's fault since there is no goddamn info on the saddle.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
All that info on vehicle load weights (GVWR) is in your book that come with the bike and is probably in the Service manual too! :)

The Wet Weight of the bike is 560#'s Total GVWR is 988#'s so your allowed to put the difference of 428#'s on the bike total of driver, passenger and luggage. So if you weigh 260#'s you have 168#'s to waste either on a passenger or luggage or both.
And it should be distributed as Front axle.... 337#'s and Rear axle..... 651#'s

All this info came with your bike.

If your talking about one of the solo style seat from Indian, with just you on the seat you are not overloading anything because that is all you can get on the solo seat.

The seat still has the same warranty that the US Air Force puts on their parachutes.... if it doesn't work as advertised just bring it back they will give you another one.
:p:D:rolleyes:

·
Untilted.
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All that info on vehicle load weights (GVWR) is in your book that come with the bike and is probably in the Service manual too! :)

The Wet Weight of the bike is 560#'s Total GVWR is 988#'s so your allowed to put the difference of 428#'s on the bike total of driver, passenger and luggage. So if you weigh 260#'s you have 168#'s to waste either on a passenger or luggage or both.
And it should be distributed as Front axle.... 337#'s and Rear axle..... 651#'s

All this info came with your bike.

If your talking about one of the solo style seat from Indian, with just you on the seat you are not overloading anything because that is all you can get on the solo seat.

The seat still has the same warranty that the US Air Force puts on their parachutes.... if it doesn't work as advertised just bring it back they will give you another one.
:p:D:rolleyes:
Why would an aftermarket saddle weight limit be in the book for my bike? The saddle didn't come with the bike.

I understand the weight limits of the bike, that much I did find in the book.

How do you know I'm not overloading it? It's anchored to the bike from the front of the saddle. That's a lot of weight resting on one connection to the bike. I want to see proper, official Indian data on the saddle.

·
10,006 Posts
Why would an aftermarket saddle weight limit be in the book for my bike? The saddle didn't come with the bike.

I understand the weight limits of the bike, that much I did find in the book.

How do you know I'm not overloading it? It's anchored to the bike from the front of the saddle. That's a lot of weight resting on one connection to the bike. I want to see proper, official Indian data on the saddle.
Well, I don't know for a fact, but I weight 262#'s and don't have an issue with one that sat on for a ride.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
In the past indian made this type of saddle (thus the name) and there were in fact some catastrophic failures - and lawsuits - Inidan at the time stopped making the saddles due to those lawsuits. An OL timer told me about this - he was a OL time Indian Mech.

·
10,006 Posts
In the past indian made this type of saddle (thus the name) and there were in fact some catastrophic failures - and lawsuits - Inidan at the time stopped making the saddles due to those lawsuits. An OL timer told me about this - he was a OL time Indian Mech.
Maybe they learned something between then and now...
I would suspect that they are spec'd out pretty substantial now.
That looks like a pretty tough piece of steel on the post now.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Maybe they learned something between then and now...
I would suspect that they are spec'd out pretty substantial now.
That looks like a pretty tough piece of steel on the post now.
It would seem that Polaris Indian should have issued a rider weight limit for "the saddle" if nothing else to keep fat boys off the fender. ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts