Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm convinced the stock seat is just too low for any useful purpose, other than looks. Maybe if you are really short and don't feel comfortable leaning or tip-toe at a stop.

Either the 1920, reduced, or extended all move you up into a better position.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
hey guys i have always loved the look of the old style seat. but i have a RM. hows the feel on one of those. especially long rides compared to stock seat

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
Stock seats are usually not comfortable for long rides. Aftermarket seats tend to be more firm. It sounds wrong but this makes for more comfort. A soft seat makes your butt, leg, and back muscles work to stay in place. a firm seat requires less effort to stay in position. Which brand? Springers are thin and therefore are firm. They don't move around much except up and down on bumpy roads (which is good). Springers are almost always a good choice if you like the look. Otherwise Corbin, etc. make good firm seats and about 99% of owners agree it makes a huge difference in comfort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys i have always loved the look of the old style seat. but i have a RM. hows the feel on one of those. especially long rides compared to stock seat
longest i've road is a couple hours and the seat was super comfy. it looks like it would be rough but the padding in there is real nice and i find it more comfortable than the stock seat. it's almost like a firm memory foam

·
Rider
462 Posts
1920 seat with bar installed. Cured my cramped ankles and seating. Rolled the stock bars up a bit so I wasn't leaning forward as much with the new seat height. Rides amazing now. Whole new bike.
Damn, I like the look of that seat bar but it’s sooo expensive. Really dresses up that 1920, though.

·
Rider
462 Posts
There’s a reason why so many of those old farm machines featured tractor style seats. A seat like the 1920 supports the vast majority of your backside whereas a thinner seat might not. I don’t feel all the padding in the world can replace a seat that’s not wide enough to provide even support all the way across your sitting area.

I have 12,000 miles on my ‘18 Scout and can pretty much handle multiple days in the saddle with minimal discomfort. On the stock seat I was done after 45 minutes. I am a bit bigger than average so that may make the 1920 even more ideal for me than for a sub 200 pounder, so YMMV.

·
Rider
462 Posts
Do you have to take the seat apart to get to your battery?? and coolant bottle?
I can’t figure out how to attach a PDF file to this post, but if you search the forum for ‘Scout 1920 Seat Instructions’ or some combination thereof, the PDF instruction booklet should pop right up. Long story short, the battery will be hidden under the screwed-down cover. I have a Battery Tender dongle attached to mine so I can put it on the trickle charger for the winter without removing the battery.

·
Registered
756 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts