Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the other threads on the Indian Motorcycle 1920 Beach Bars for the Scout but thought I would post another call for info to Scout owners at large. I’m looking for input as a new rider looking to change from reduced reach bars that came on my bike which was a demo. I’m average height at 5’ 10” and don’t really need the reduced reach. The reduced reach bars put me in a completely upright position; I’m not having any problems but I can’t help wonder if the bike would handle even better for me with a slightly different riding position. Plus I think the reduced reach bars kind of screw up the lines of the bike. Also, I’d like to know if any forum members with the 1920 Beach Bars are near me, in Northern VA, and would like to get together.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
At www.IndianAftermarket.com we sell beach bars for the Scout. They are much wider than OEM bars and they do allow you to sit more upright. Beach bars give the bike a good retro look. I designed these bars for looks originally, but after many miles of use I realized they make the bike much easier to handle. So your search for beach bars is worth while in my opinion.
IMG_3656.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Indian beach bars (in the dealer inventory as "Bonneville bars") aren't really beach bars. I have a set, and I really like them, but they ony provide a bit more pullback than the stock bars. They have a crosspiece like motocross bars, some people don't like the look, I like it. I did not like the look or feel of the stock bars also, and the set of the beach bars plus the gloss black finish work for me. If you want "true" beach bars, Marcus above has a nice setup; aside from that, with the stepped diameters of the risers/controls (1" at the risers but 7/8" controls) there are not a lot of options; you could use riser adapters but there aren't many 7/8" beach bars around.
Aloha
RH

Attachments

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
It is difficult to find bars for the Scout because of the way Indian designed them. We figured out a way to make them but it is difficult. The bar is 1" in diameter except for the ends where the grips go on. There it is 7/8" diameter. Another thing they did different they made the knurls an unusual distance apart. The knurls are the ribs on the bar where it clamps into the bike and keeps the bars from rotating. At www.IndianAftermarket.com we start out with a 1" diameter Beach Bar blank. Then we cut the ends off . Next we turn solid 7/8" diameter aluminum rods so they can be press fitted into the ends of the 1" bars. We also use a technique to fill epoxy inside around the press fitting part. This gives it extra strength and security. Finally we have to hand knurl in the correct locations so the bars will not rotate while in use. This part equals a 20 minute gym workout. Here is another photo of one of our beach bars. This one is covered in leather.
IMG_3433.jpg

Oh sorry wrong photo. They are partially covered in leather.
leather bar.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a set of bars from Marcus and love them. I would recommend them to anyone. Great guy, great quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I purchased my new Bobber, it already had the "Bonneville" bars installed. The first demo Bobber I rode had the stock bars and I found the Bonneville bars much more comfortable than stock, even though they are only a little bit higher and a little bit farther back as posted earlier. Another benefit for me is that mirrors, and unfortunately you lose those cool bar end mirrors, are much more usable as they are just a little bit higher. I am 5'8". The cross piece is cool too. Looks vintage, which fits the style of the bike.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
I have read the other threads on the Indian Motorcycle 1920 Beach Bars for the Scout but thought I would post another call for info to Scout owners at large. I’m looking for input as a new rider looking to change from reduced reach bars that came on my bike which was a demo. I’m average height at 5’ 10” and don’t really need the reduced reach. The reduced reach bars put me in a completely upright position; I’m not having any problems but I can’t help wonder if the bike would handle even better for me with a slightly different riding position. Plus I think the reduced reach bars kind of screw up the lines of the bike. Also, I’d like to know if any forum members with the 1920 Beach Bars are near me, in Northern VA, and would like to get together.
IMG_0749.JPG

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
It is difficult to find bars for the Scout because of the way Indian designed them. We figured out a way to make them but it is difficult. The bar is 1" in diameter except for the ends where the grips go on. There it is 7/8" diameter. Another thing they did different they made the knurls an unusual distance apart. The knurls are the ribs on the bar where it clamps into the bike and keeps the bars from rotating. At www.IndianAftermarket.com we start out with a 1" diameter Beach Bar blank. Then we cut the ends off . Next we turn solid 7/8" diameter aluminum rods so they can be press fitted into the ends of the 1" bars. We also use a technique to fill epoxy inside around the press fitting part. This gives it extra strength and security. Finally we have to hand knurl in the correct locations so the bars will not rotate while in use. This part equals a 20 minute gym workout. Here is another photo of one of our beach bars. This one is covered in leather.
View attachment 392080
Oh sorry wrong photo. They are partially covered in leather.
View attachment 392084
@Marcus - I can't see anything except the girls.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts