Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK 1901 Club members, now it's time to get serious....I would like to approach Indian about hosting a 1st Anniversary Motorcycle Rally to commemorate the debut of the new Indian motorcycles, sponsored by the 1901 Motorcycle Riders Club....This would be a massive undertaking and would put the 1901 Club on the map, but I can't even think about approaching Indian formally without knowing how many of our new members are interested in participating in the production AND making the ride.....I would need Captains that would be willing to dedicate a lot of time to managing each aspect of the rally organization process. I'd especially need to know if there's anyone in the Club that has organized a rally before because there's no substitute for experience...it can help us avoid a myriad of pitfalls.

Clearly there would be a ton of details to work out, but I can envision a Club Captains leading riders from each of the 4 regions: north from Canada, south from Florida, east from New York, and west from California...all converging on the rally at Spirit Lake....or where ever Indian might agrees to host it...

Pie-in-the-Sky? Maybe, but you don't know what you can do until you try....If Indian isn't interested, we can still sponsor our own Indian Anniversary rally....sponsored by 1901 Motorcycle Riders club, but attended by all Indian riders, old and new.

Please let me know your level of interest and interest in being a Captain...If you would like to have a private discussion about this initiative, you can email me at [email protected] and we can go from there....

I've made initial informal contact with Indian, but won't be able to make a firm proposal to them until I hear from Club members....

Thanks...Chieftan1400

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Count me in. I would definitely attend. I honestly dont know if I would have the time to help organize it (I can try), but I would be willing to lead a ride from central MN to Spirit Lake if thats where the rally ends up being. My Indian dealer (Mies Outland) is 15 mins from my house, I have an excellent relationship with them and I know I could work with them to use them as the initial meeting/gathering spot for this area and ride down from there. Theres a gas station a block away for people to top off, etc. The city of St Cloud is about 1/2 hr away with plenty of hotels for thse arriving the day before (Canada, etc) If there was enough interest, I bet I could even talk the dealer into serving light refreshments (coffee and rolls type of thing) for incoming riders that morning. Its a good meeting spot and they are smart enough to know it could give them a little business on the side as well. (No, I dont work for them).

If you want to talk further with me about it at some point, my email is [email protected](dot)net

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
699 said:
Count me in.  I would definitely attend.  I honestly dont know if I would have the time to help organize it (I can try), but I would be willing to lead a ride from central MN to Spirit Lake if thats where the rally ends up being.  My Indian dealer (Mies Outland) is 15 mins from my house, I have an excellent relationship with them and I know I could work with them to use them as the initial meeting/gathering spot for this area and ride down from there.  Theres a gas station a block away for people to top off, etc.  The city of St Cloud is about 1/2 hr away with plenty of hotels for thse arriving the day before (Canada, etc)  If there was enough interest, I bet I could even talk the dealer into serving light refreshments (coffee and rolls type of thing) for incoming riders that morning.  Its a good meeting spot and they are smart enough to know it could give them a little business on the side as well. (No, I dont work for them).

If you want to talk further with me about it at some point, my email is [email protected](dot)net

Great...I've got you on the list. Thanks...I'll keep you posted on progress and organize a meeting when appropriate...Chieftan1400

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll attend and help out 1400 but I don't like the 'Captain' title, or any titles being bestowed. Helper is okay, :) but with no different colored hat, badge, or any other bs sign of 'rank'. I particularly don't like what such designations do to certain kinds of folks. Once organizations start giving titles and trying to 'tell' people what to do I'm gone. I think I'll just be a participant, as long as it stays enjoyable. :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Count me in #320. I will give whatever support I can.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
18595 said:
I'll attend and help out 1400 but I don't like the 'Captain' title, or any titles being bestowed.  Helper is okay, :) but with no different colored hat, badge, or any other bs sign of 'rank'.   I particularly don't like what such designations do to certain kinds of folks.  Once organizations start giving titles and trying to 'tell' people what to do I'm gone.  I think I'll just be a participant, as long as it stays enjoyable.  :)
Thanks for your willingness to help with the 1901 Club structure and our first potential club rally.

I certainly understand where you're coming from. I, too, dislike hierarchical structures and titles. I am prone to the 'matrix management' style where everyone is equal in the management and decision making process. However, a club has to have some sort of structure, otherwise they become like an incandescent light, shining in all directions with no focus or purpose.

I certainly don't presume to 'dictate' or suggest how that should be. That's really up to the members. I used the term 'captain' just to illustrate that efforts need to be guided and focused, and that usually implies some sort of leadership structure.

Long before any partnership can be established between Polaris and the 1901 Indian Motorcycle Riders Club, these sort of organizational details need to be worked out to the satisfaction of club members. This is the first step. Together, lets keep the dialogue going.

Thanks...Bill

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an input from another member that cautioned that we <don't want to get the cart before the horse by talking prematurely to Polaris, because we really aren't a club yet. We want to have most of the 1901 owners on board first>

I'd like to address his comments because many of you may share his concerns. He's right on most of his points. We really aren't a 'club' yet, we are just a list of Indian motorcycle owners. To become a club, there is a process that needs to take place that establishes some sort of structure, policy, philosophy, goals, missions, etc. If that doesn't take place, then we really aren't any more than a group of riders who's common link is owning one of the first 1901 Indians produced by Polaris. If that's what you want, then that's OK with me and I'll throttle back.

So far, we have about 60 owners that seem to have expressed a desire to be more than that. If that's true, then we have no choice but to go through the organizational process. AND, that won't be easy as we're scattered across North America and Great Britain. But, thanks to technology, it is certainly very practical to go through the formation process through the internet, etc., and then consummate our efforts at our first rally.

It's important to point out that, although I'd like to make an Anniversary Rally happen, I've only had preliminary discussions with Indian to establish links of communication in case we end up, as a club, making a formal proposal. I haven't made any formal or informal proposal to any person of authority within the Indian Corporate Structure.

However, I don't think we have the luxury or even the necessity to get most of the 1901 owners on board, because whether the club consists of 60 or 1901 riders, we are all still part of that unique group of Indian motorcycle riders. Also, many of the 'badged' bikes are actually being held by dealerships for demo and display purposes. I don't know how many Indian dealers there are, but of the one's I've personally visited in Arizona and Florida, they ALL had at least 2 badged bikes that they can't sell, for now. So, we really don't even know how many actual 1901 owners there are today.

How many members does it take to make a viable club? I think 60 is a great start. Other major clubs have started with much smaller numbers and eventually grew into national clubs with regional groups. There has to be a beginning. If we wait for the majority of 1901 owners, we will all lose interest or grow old to ride :)

Lastly, like I said in my message, an Anniversary Rally hosted by Polaris might be 'pie-in-the-sky,' but it certainly doesn't hurt to pursue that idea and it gives the 1901 Riders a rallying point, our first objective, an effort that can bring us together as a club. Worse case scenario, we can't get the club organized quick enough, Polaris says they're not interested, and we have our own rally.

Your thoughts and ideas are always welcome. There is NO commander....no dictator....this will be OUR club, or it won't be at all.

Ride Safe

Chiftan1400 (Bill)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts