Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about upgrading the exhaust on my 19 Roadmaster from header back with possibly duals and I’m looking for opinions. Don’t really want extremely loud and have to wear ear plugs but something in between and that heat has to go. I’ve read mixed reviews on just doing the cat delete with slip-ons. Some say tin pingy sounding some say it's fine?!?!

What are yalls reviews / opinions between the Freedom Performance duals & slip-ons and the Rinehart duals & slip-ons?
The reviews on Freedom Performance Exhaust Inc. Facebook page are not good! But YouTube reviews seem to be positive. Rinehart Racing reviews are much better but have less on YouTube.

Indian motorcycles in my area are very few and far between so I don’t really have any I can listen to and compare in person. Anyway thanks for any insight you have on the subject....

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The tingy exhaust sound comes from the gases suddenly hitting the open box of the cat convertor, getting a bit chaotic, and causing a bunch of harmonics. The sound is only at idle and only on cold starts. Once warmed up it's pretty much gone and once on the throttle it's totally gone. When I decatted it worried me for a bit until I found out it was a common experience.

Some people have resolved it by putting a diverter plate through the box when they've got it open. This promotes smoother gas flow from the headers to the rear where it splits between left and right. Other people have fitted one of the crossover header pipes which do not have the harmonic issue. The true duals with no crossover between pipes don't do it either.

Do a forum search on true duals and you'll find mixed advice. They are known for reducing torque - some people don't worry about that as they choose them for the sound.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,227 Posts
I got the tinney sound when I added the Jackpot header with the factory stage 1 exhaust. That went away with the addition of the V and H turndown mufflers. There is no doubt about it deleting the cat will raise the noise of your exhaust. The Freedom pipes I had on other bikes were pretty loud for all day riding but these were the curved radius sweepers. The Jackpot headers with the V and H pipes sound really good to me, good deep rumble but not too loud going down the road. The Rineharts might be a way to go also. Dean

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well just today, I put TAB's zombie slip ons on my 2019 RM. It was an upgrade in the sound department, from the stage 1 that the dealer did for me as I said the stock exhaust was not an option. Well I knew when I pulled away from the dealer the first inch the of forward movement that the stage 1's weren't gonna cut it either. I did a lot of reading around, as well as listening to many YT videos. One video sold me on the zombies. When I went in for my 500 mile service, the dealer said he'd trade me some Reinhart's for the stage 1 slip ons back. I might have done it if they weren't black. And I didn't want to break up the chrome exhaust look. The Reinharts just didn't sound like I wanted or look like what I wanted. So I decided do it once and do it right for what I like and already decided on. And these zombies sound great. Sorry to the guy on the interstate I passed today with his window down at a high rev.

I also noticed the tinny/pingy/tingy sound. I'll have to pay more attention to it when I ride to pinpoint when it does it based on some info from the prior posts here. Maybe now I won't be able to hear it haha! I always wear ear plugs when I ride, especially on the freeway. Trucks, loud motors and air brakes, road noise and stuff like that. Plus sound of the bike, too. And when I use my air horn more than I'd like to have to. Sometimes a short ride around town I might not wear any, but on the commute or any long trip, ear plugs all the time.

Reactions: Kuudaddyo

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thinking about upgrading the exhaust on my 19 Roadmaster from header back with possibly duals and I’m looking for opinions. Don’t really want extremely loud and have to wear ear plugs but something in between and that heat has to go. I’ve read mixed reviews on just doing the cat delete with slip-ons. Some say tin pingy sounding some say it's fine?!?!

What are yalls reviews / opinions between the Freedom Performance duals & slip-ons and the Rinehart duals & slip-ons?
The reviews on Freedom Performance Exhaust Inc. Facebook page are not good! But YouTube reviews seem to be positive. Rinehart Racing reviews are much better but have less on YouTube.

Indian motorcycles in my area are very few and far between so I don’t really have any I can listen to and compare in person. Anyway thanks for any insight you have on the subject....
I put a set of Samson 31.5 Long Tails on my new Springfield... I really like the look and sound of these pipes...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely check out the Rush true duals with Rush Warhorse pipes with 2.5"baffles. You will not be disappointed.
[/QU
Definitely check out the Rush true duals with Rush Warhorse pipes with 2.5"baffles. You will not be disappointed.
Yeah I should for sure. I did see some good reviews on those. Do you know if you have to buy those directly from rush directly? Not much on the other sites on them at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the tinney sound when I added the Jackpot header with the factory stage 1 exhaust. That went away with the addition of the V and H turndown mufflers. There is no doubt about it deleting the cat will raise the noise of your exhaust. The Freedom pipes I had on other bikes were pretty loud for all day riding but these were the curved radius sweepers. The Jackpot headers with the V and H pipes sound really good to me, good deep rumble but not too loud going down the road. The Rineharts might be a way to go also. Dean
I'll look into Jackpot headers. That's one I've not heard of until now. Thanks... M

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,227 Posts
I'll look into Jackpot headers. That's one I've not heard of until now. Thanks... M
FuelMoto makes them. I had one of the early ones that had sealing issues. Ended up welding mine. I hear the newer ones seal up much better. Good luck, Dean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts