Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as much as I loved the ride and performance of Metzler 888s on my 2015 RM I am done with only getting 8,500 miles on the rear tire. Took bike to local indy shop (Harley focused but not exclusive) for state inspection and got the call the rear tread wouldn't pass. Owner said he carries/recommends the Dunlop American Elites.

Now here is the part where I kinda get pissed. I specifically asked the owner if the American Elites were the EXACT same size as the stock 180/60 16 (and Metzlers). He said yes, then when I go to pick up the bike I see on the paperwork they are 180/65s. I asked him about it and he said no big deal they are just a little wider and he does this all the time. Now I am reading all sorts of different things here on our forum about the fact they are taller by about 3/8". Things like the bike leaning further on the kickstand, and more importantly these tires are only actually load rated for the Chiefs, but not the heavier Chieftain or Roadmaster. How many of you have this 180/65 size on your Roadmasters? Am I over thinking or is this not the right tire? I Looked on the Dunlop site and it only shows their couple of models that come in 180/60 as tires that fit Roadmasters. Their must be some reason that they don't list the 65s as fitting, right? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just replaced a 180/65 Commander 2. Yes it's slightly taller and the sidewall is stiffer. The lean on the kickstand wasn't noticeable. I just had to try the Commanders but I will never again put them on my bike. The Commander rear tire started to delaminate after 10K miles. I replaced them with a Dunlop E4 in the back and an American Elite in the front. Indian is sending out the 2020s with this setup although I've seen some 2020s with the E3 rear tire. Going back to a radial tire on the back is a good choice for me. My RM does handle better again. One thing of note is I put a 180/70 E4 on the rear. Its taller and a bit wider. I went with that because I pull a trailer now and then.

·
Bronze member
3,336 Posts
the side wall height of a 180/60 is 108mm... and the side wall height of a 180/65 is 117mm.. difference of 9mm... 9mm = .354 inches taller... you wont notice

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would recommend calling Dunlop. They were incredibly helpful discussing sizes when I put American Elites on my Scout60. I think it was on the front they didn't have the130/90-16 listed. They use a MT90-16. I forget the meaning or reasoning but the customer service rep walked me through it pretty well.

For what its worth I will only be buying American Elites in the future.

Edit: after further research I remember. The 130/90-16 didn’t have the proper weight rating so the rep educated me on the MT90 that is weight rated for my bike and is basically the same size. Either way moral is, they were kind enough to walk me through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts