Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a biggie deal to fix? I haven't bothered the dealer (75 miles away) about it. I'd rather just fix it myself. Anyone took one out to see how the light can be replaced? I'm good with tools and wiring, but I do not want to crack open something that is factory sealed. I'm still under the 2 year warrantee.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. IIRC, the button is a sealed unit. Hell, I had the little rubber stops in the trunk replaced under warranty after they disappeared somewhere between taking the bike in for service and me noticing that they were gone a week later. I also had the remote lock button on the console replaced under warranty because it started to go dim. I even told the service manager that I felt silly for making a claim for something like that, but for a $30K motorcycle, I shouldn't have to in the first place. He agreed with me.

Reactions: CenCalRider

·
Founding member
2,189 Posts
I have an older '14 so it may not apply to the '17s, but the Power button will only light momentarily when started - it doesn't remain lit unless the key fob is not in range. A number of owners have thought it was a problem that they didn't see it when they would be riding, but that is the way Indian designed it. You may want to see if it works the same way on the '17s before trying to fix a problem that may not be present.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There are only two times that the light comes on in normal use and the fob is in range: When you first hit the button to turn on, and when you kick it into first gear. The light only comes on for a moment and it's easy to miss.

The button is sealed but should be a straightforward replacement if it has failed.

If the button is turning the bike on and off then it's doing it's job. If it not showing the momentary light then the problem might be the button, but could also been somewhere else in the wiring from the VCM. In that case the dealer will need to track it down.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I've not seen it lit up since mid July (riding season is may to Sept here in Michigan) I leave the fob in the fairing box, so thats not it. My (recalled) gear sensor is working fine and the 1st-5th gear indicator is working. I think the light just quit working. Its not a biggie, but I would like to get it working while under warrantee.
I have an older '14 so it may not apply to the '17s, but the Power button will only light momentarily when started - it doesn't remain lit unless the key fob is not in range. A number of owners have thought it was a problem that they didn't see it when they would be riding, but that is the way Indian designed it. You may want to see if it works the same way on the '17s before trying to fix a problem that may not be present.
I wonder if it's the same button, it appears similar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would take it to the dealer. IIRC, the button is a sealed unit. Hell, I had the little rubber stops in the trunk replaced under warranty after they disappeared somewhere between taking the bike in for service and me noticing that they were gone a week later. I also had the remote lock button on the console replaced under warranty because it started to go dim. I even told the service manager that I felt silly for making a claim for something like that, but for a $30K motorcycle, I shouldn't have to in the first place. He agreed with me.
I have the desert tan leather bags, Indians need leather fringes (RM classic was $5K less than the Elite). I also love them, but factory locking bags would be nice. Since I live in a small town, I do not worry about anything getting taken. It would not be hard to add locks to mine, but I haven't bothered so far.
Back story: I took the riders class at the local Harley dealer (I wish Indian did those as well; another discussion for another post), and the teacher was an older bike rider, from a poor part of Tennessee. He said it would take a brave person to approach a line of bikes and steal something from one of the bags. People have been beaten within an inch of their lives for touching another mans bike.

·
Founding member
2,189 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've not seen it lit up since mid July (riding season is may to Sept here in Michigan) I leave the fob in the fairing box, so thats not it. My (recalled) gear sensor is working fine and the 1st-5th gear indicator is working. I think the light just quit working. Its not a biggie, but I would like to get it working while under warrantee.

I wonder if it's the same button, it appears similar.
Have you tried taking the fob out of range (take it inside the house at least 15' away) and then push the button? It should light and stay lit. That would confirm if it is working or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts