Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Add mine to a growing list of 111 owners who have had a voltage regulator problem.

I told them that I thought this was the problem when I got it towed to the dealership. (By the way, Indian Roadside assistance worked exactly as it was supposed to! Kudos to Indian.)

I read on this forum later that it is a common problem. The dealer took longer than I appreciated to find the problem. Turns out that there was a broken wire in the loom near the regulator that caused some problems with the use of the "electric wrench" or whatever the diagnostic computer is called.

Small consolation that the Full Size Service Manual gives old fashioned step by step instructions to troubleshoot the charging system.

The first indication was the red battery warning light started flashing on my way home. I didn't have enough charge on the battery to make it home. If it happens to you, you've got about 10 miles of charge before the bike dies.

It is mentioned in these forums
link
link
link
link

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
The broken wire thing sounds like it might be a quality control issue? Plenty of regulator failures... I have not yet heard of any wiring harness issues other than compromised connections.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work in manufacturing - I would say one of two issues:
a. Quality control where there is an inherent problem ensuring that the harness is correctly installed, or
b. Design problem - the design of the wire loom puts pressure on the wires that causes failure.

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am aware of many companies that are moving to variations of this "soy" based wire. In the US, I think it is usually based on corn because of availability and price. Theoretically, it could be based on any plant used to commercially make oil (soy, sunflower, peanut, corn, canola, cotton, etc.). Plastics are made from petrochemicals historically. The goal here is to make it from a renewable source AND in some cases to make them biodegradable. Unfortunately, this trend also makes the insulation taste good (sweet, I believe) as an unforeseen consequence of the manufacturing process.

Rodents have always had a propensity to nest in places like infrequently used engine bays and chew the wiring but it was generally infrequent. Make the wires taste good and they specifically go there to eat, not just to nest.

I'm certain that other manufacturers are doing the same thing. My 2003 Dodge Pickup had $2000 damage because I usually only drive it on weekends and 3 rats set up a nice home in my engine bay and firewall area. Half of the functionality of the vehicle was compromised before I got wise.

Good reasons to switch with unforeseen consequences... I would note that some of the people participating in the class action lawsuit would generically agree that it would be better to make things that are renewable, biodegradable, and/or can be recycled. Better yet - as a thought exercise, you can almost imagine commercials on TV showing that this process supports either "the family farmer" or "creates American jobs". New technologies hit bumps in the road. They don't like it in this case because it was their bump in the road. Toyota (and others) are reacting to other market or regulatory pressures to move in this direction.

The location of my wiring problem was in a bundle of wires that had not been torn up by rodents. I asked that specific question based on the Dodge Pickup experience.
Thanks for the thought.

·
Founding member
1,110 Posts
Well I guess it was my turn.Voltage regulator died. 2017 Chieftain 6.5K miles.

I did get home,barley.Used my trailer to get it to the dealer.Got it there at 9 and by noon it was fixed.

I wonder if Indian changed venders for the regulators?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Glad that repair went smoothly! Very good, after hearing a few too many horror stories about lack of parts... a very nice report!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Traded in my 16 Springfield for a 17 Limited and have had nothing but problems. First was the 02 sensor which could be possible after sitting on show room floor for a long time but not that the temperature has dropped, my battery will not stay charged. Finally got it started and was welcomed with a series of codes. Starting to think I should have kept my Springfield.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
Traded in my 16 Springfield for a 17 Limited and have had nothing but problems. First was the 02 sensor which could be possible after sitting on show room floor for a long time but not that the temperature has dropped, my battery will not stay charged. Finally got it started and was welcomed with a series of codes. Starting to think I should have kept my Springfield.
Won't stay charged from riding?

Or won't stay charged after a full charge from an external charger?

WD./

·
Registered
36 Posts
Won't stay charged from riding?

Or won't stay charged after a full charge from an external charger?

WD./
Was on charger after riding then wouldn’t fire at all. Finally got it started and got the codes but then shut down and won’t start now. Like it’s not getting fuel

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
Yea my volatile is all over the place. Drops to 8 or below when cranking
The battery is probably hosed. Any time they drop below 9.5 V while starting they are considered end of life. Staying above 10.5 is what you want to be looking for.

WD./

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
The battery is probably hosed. Any time they drop below 9.5 V while starting they are considered end of life. Staying above 10.5 is what you want to be looking for.

WD./
These little batteries are subject to damage and reduced capacity from neglect or deep discharge. I remember looking at showroom new bikes with dead batteries earlier this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
These little batteries are subject to damage and reduced capacity from neglect or deep discharge. I remember looking at showroom new bikes with dead batteries earlier this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yea and they often just them them die on the floor

·
Rider
597 Posts
My '17 Roadmaster lost a voltage regulator in the first 100 miles of a 1500 mile trip a couple months ago. Noticed the battery light flashing, checked voltage on screen, was low and steadily dropping. Had my wife call the dealership (happened about 15 or 20 miles from them) they said to try to get it to them. We limped to within a mile of them when I had to slow for a traffic light she gave up. I guess not enough juice to run fuel pump. We called the dealer and they came with a trailer to pick us up. They had one regulator on the shelf that they had just received to replace one for a floor model they robbed for another customer. This all happened at closing time on Friday night. The tech stayed late just to get us back in the road. Thanks to Indian of Ocala FL for the great service!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts