Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

17 DH will not start.

789 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Lennyz1
Bike will not start. I rode it to work with no issues at all. 2hrs later bike will not start. I push the dash button,enter my pin. I get dash lights and radio. The gear indictor is showing neutral.I even tried pulling in the clutch. I push the start button. I hear the starter engage once, but it will not turn the bike over.... I check the battery connecton and gave it a full charge. Could it be the starter?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse
111 Posts
Bike will not start. I rode it to work with no issues at all. 2hrs later bike will not start. I push the dash button,enter my pin. I get dash lights and radio. The gear indictor is showing neutral.I even tried pulling in the clutch. I push the start button. I hear the starter engage once, but it will not turn the bike over.... I check the battery connecton and gave it a full charge. Could it be the starter?
Sounds like a weak battery.

· Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster
985 Posts
OK replaced the battery now I have a code 5202622 FMI 4
you have 1 too many 2’s in the DTC - it’s 520262

I have it quite often on my bike. The battery you put in - was it new and fully charged? I would suspect nit if you’re getting this code. It’s usually indicative of a low battery. Lots of posts on the code as it’s also known as “ABS Low voltage”. Try charging the battery up fully - otherwise maybe they sold you a bad battery

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have 1 too many 2’s in the DTC - it’s 520262

I have it quite often on my bike. The battery you put in - was it new and fully charged? I would suspect nit if you’re getting this code. It’s usually indicative of a low battery. Lots of posts on the code as it’s also known as “ABS Low voltage”. Try charging the battery up fully - otherwise maybe they sold you a bad battery
Yes too many 2's. The new battery was bad. Got a new replacement . Bike starts even better now. Life is Good.... Thanks ALL

· Registered
2021 Roadmaster DH in White Smoke
300 Posts
Just had similar situation on my 21 RM. Started bike in garage using pin #. Ran it for a few minutes and powered off. Went to restart about 10 minutes later and RC powered up fine when I entered my pin, but no start. Pull in clutch, nothing. Get on and put kick stand up, nothing. Finally went and got my key fob and it started right up. Battery was showing 12.5VDC.

For some reason the bike just would not RE-start with pin, but RC was quite happy Nd working fine. Wonder if there is some sort of time requirement programmed in when using the pin versus using the fob? I figured that I need to contact Indian about this when I get time because if I ever get stranded with a dead fob battery or lose the fob all together, I will be in trouble. I do plan on doing some tests to see if I can recreate this problem.

I am wondering if replacing the battery was able to reset the RC and ECU to allow for PIN start-up? It is hard to believe that in 2 hours the battery goes from being able to start to not even trying to crank. I know Indians have a parasitic drain, but that would be a little much.

· Registered
2021 Roadmaster DH in White Smoke
300 Posts
Has nothing to do with key fob battery. Key fob was in house. I was in garage and started bike without key fob near by using the PIN. First time started fine and ran for few minutes. Shut down and tried to restart about 10 - 15 minutes later. Powered up, entered PIN and RC started as normal. Press starter button and nothing, pull in clutch and nothing, kickstand up and nothing. Go into house and get fob and hit starter button and bike fires right up.

There was some sort of interlock going on. Not sure if I this was a RC or ECU glitch/error or is a programmed security safety. I need to try and recreate because it could be a problem if it happens at the wrong time.

BTW to answer your question, Key fob new with bike in April.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.