Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atmospheric phenomenon Mode of transport Vehicle door Morning Vehicle
What would anyone suggest? Between S&S and Zippers intake. I’ve had experience with the S&S intake, but none with the Zippers. I’ve heard that the Zippers would amplify torque and kill top end. (Which is what I’m looking for) but I’d rather not bite the bullet on Zippers if all it’s gonna do is suck hot air from the heads. Any and all info/ insight would be appreciated! Also, I plan to pair either intake with a Freedom Performance Combat 2-1 Exhaust. Attached is a dyno sheet of the aftermath of Freedom Performance Slip-Ons, paired with the S&S intake. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am running a zippers intake and I love it, I could tell a difference from the stock intake right away. I am going to have it fine tuned and dyno'd this spring/summer. I found an outfit about 2 hr ride that does the PVCX tuning. I am running the tune fuel moto gave me right now and it is great but generic. it will be nice to get it "personalized".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you notice a difference in take off when you applied the Zippers intake and basic tune? I would be interested to know how your Scout performes when you get it properly tuned for what you’re running. Also, ehat exhaust do you currently have applied to the mix?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I am running a zippers intake and I love it, I could tell a difference from the stock intake right away. I am going to have it fine tuned and dyno'd this spring/summer. I found an outfit about 2 hr ride that does the PVCX tuning. I am running the tune fuel moto gave me right now and it is great but generic. it will be nice to get it "personalized".
Have you tried the advanced remote tuning from Fuelmoto? You get a tune for actual driving conditions not just a single high speed run.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did you notice a difference in take off when you applied the Zippers intake and basic tune? I would be interested to know how your Scout performes when you get it properly tuned for what you’re running. Also, ehat exhaust do you currently have applied to the mix?
I did notice a difference much spunkier. I am running Vance and Hines 3" slash slip ons they sound great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you tried the advanced remote tuning from Fuelmoto? You get a tune for actual driving conditions not just a single high speed run.
No I never thought about that, It makes more sense to do that as I am rarely running around at full throttle! thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
So I have a Zippers intake with Rinehart slip-ons and PCVX tuning and I definitely like the set up and in my opinion the Zipper can potentially give you more than the S&S intake. That being said, if I had to do it all over again I would go with the S&S period. Reason being, is that neither FM or DJ has a well developed PCVX tune specific for the Zipper and the fuel requirement for the zipper compared to the S&S is very different in wide open throttle operations. I know this to be a fact based on Dyno's done on my bike and the subsequent remote tuning that has been done by FM to try and make the necessary adjustments. The remote tuning service is fantastic and worth every penny, but it will have limited effect on wide open throttle which is likely where you might see the most difference between the two intakes.

At the end of the day, my bike runs amazingly and I'm very happy with it, but the journey and cost to get it there just simply isn't worth it in my opinion vs S&S which is basically plug and play in comparison. Unless you're lucky enough to have FM in your backyard or a very competent Indian tuner, it's going to be very difficult for you to get the most out of what the zipper can give you. I'm pretty sure I'm still missing out on HP and TRQ on mine.......Due to my personal experience, going forward I refuse to buy any major performance product that doesn't also have a developed and tested PCVX tune.

·
Registered
16 Posts
would be very interesting to know before "personalization" and after. I have got myself Zippers intake and planning to install it. Thinking about what PCVX tune would be the best for it, with slip-ons. FuelMoto is def a contender :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
would be very interesting to know before "personalization" and after. I have got myself Zippers intake and planning to install it. Thinking about what PCVX tune would be the best for it, with slip-ons. FuelMoto is def a contender :)
FM is your only option imho and even then their base performance tune is not going to be optimized for the zipper intake. There is plenty of data on this forum where you can see stock vs aftermarket intake/PCVX combos and with the zipper you have a reasonable chance of achieving close to those same numbers. You are not going to surpass them though unless you can get your bike custom tuned by a competent tuner.

If you can't get it custom tuned it's likely your bike will run much less than optimal which is why I think the S&S is better for most since it already has developed tunes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was thinking to test drive few different PVCX tunes, select best 3 and then go visit a dyno. Do pulls on each of them to get power numbers and to verify A/F. It would be interesting to see the difference versus Zippers dyno graph.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was thinking to test drive few different PVCX tunes, select best 3 and then go visit a dyno. Do pulls on each of them to get power numbers and to verify A/F. It would be interesting to see the difference versus Zippers dyno graph.
It definitely would be interesting to see the difference. If you want to go through all that I would try to get the data run files from each pull so you can get more data and information about how each tune is interacting with your bike. Unless you have a custom tune made, your probably not going to match the numbers shown in the Zippers Dyno graph and I'm speaking from personal experience. The right tuner definitely could do it though and maybe even exceed their numbers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts