Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Chief Classic Pearl White.
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally dusted off the bags we bought last fall and installed them. They are custom made in Springfield, MA out of leather tanned in New York. They were $575 with the spools. They have tons of custom options too. We went pretty plain with the Indian Head coins on the straps. Installation took about 1 hour.Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Those are beautiful bags, and the price is right, where did you get them? I would like to buy some. My only concern is there seems to be a large gap on the front and rear top where rain could get in and wet the bags contents. Is the bag pretty well sealed from the weather?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I finally dusted off the bags we bought last fall and installed them. They are custom made in Springfield, MA out of leather tanned in New York. They were $575 with the spools. They have tons of custom options too. We went pretty plain with the Indian Head coins on the straps. Installation took about 1 hour.Enjoy!
How long was the wait? I was thinking about getting those exact bags but he just told me it takes 8 weeks to complete an order! I need bags this summer!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Those are beautiful bags, and the price is right, where did you get them? I would like to buy some. My only concern is there seems to be a large gap on the front and rear top where rain could get in and wet the bags contents. Is the bag pretty well sealed from the weather?
Eggs Ackley. Vertical wet is not the prob. It's the horizontal wet you get at 70 mph.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's been the big thing holding me back on deciding which bags to order as well. Can anyone confirm that these do stay dry or not?

Edit: And the question about if they'll keep their shape.

·
Registered
91 Posts
While I'm at it, is there any issues with either US saddlebags or the Osprey bags with any of the various luggage racks? Specifically I prefer either the one from Marcus at Indian Aftermarket or the Aeromach one. I would think the one from Marcus would look pretty decent with the US saddlebags (and the mounting height would no longer be an issue since the luggage rack would even it out) but no idea if there's issues with the mounting spools with either them or the Osprey bags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Osprey bags with the OEM rack. The Osprey bags are adjusted when you mount them, since you have to drill the spool mounting holes in the bags at that time. I laid a board across the rack during fitting, that way the top of the bags are even with the rack.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hope Nburd doesn't mind but I thought I would jump in with some pics. Regular Ospreys are zip tops but I ordered my Ospreys with flap tops so it would be relatively easy to drop in a water proof bag.
These bags are actually leather faced plastic with hardwood reinforcement at the tops. I assume the plastic base is the same with all their bags but the wood reinforcement may be unique to this style. Bags have a piece of metal reinforcement angle at bottom - front and back interiors have carpet facing. Given design I have no doubt the bags will leak in the rain. I bought a pair water resistant draw string top goose decoy bags that fit nicely in the saddle bags. There may be higher quality bags on the market but these are very well built and IMO represent a very good value.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Motorcycle Fuel tank
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Fender
Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Subwoofer Loudspeaker

You can see the black carpet on the underside of the top flap and plastic interior with metal reinforcement

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting. Do you think the zippered top option would leak in the rain as well? I'd like to see a comparison between the two visually... I'm actually now leaning more towards the US saddlebags, just wish they had fringe. I'm a fan of the fringe :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bags came with a locking bar which I took off and replaced with snaps. Just didn't like the lock set up. I could have left the bar and changed the locking hardware but opted against it. Contents of bags come in with me and if I decide to leave the jacket on the bike I do have a locking cable mounting in right bag along with a small gun vault. Note I would never leave a firearm in the vault but according to Travelers Guide to Firearm Laws it makes me legal traveling through anti gun states like Illinois where it can not be on my person.
Cable and Vault
Electronics Technology Electronic device

Reactions: Caveat

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting. Do you think the zippered top option would leak in the rain as well? I'd like to see a comparison between the two visually... I'm actually now leaning more towards the US saddlebags, just wish they had fringe. I'm a fan of the fringe :)
They have bags with fringe available as well. I'm torn between the US Saddlebags and the Osprey bags and can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
305 Posts
They have bags with fringe available as well. I'm torn between the US Saddlebags and the Osprey bags and can't make up my mind.
Geez for the price of US bags you can almost get the indian bags
You are correct.
Some feel the US Saddlebags are better bags though, so there is that to consider.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts