Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the better part of two hours sifting through posts trying to find one solid fix to cool down the TS111 engine. Some say gutting the cat will make it run cooler. Obviously the exhaust will be cooler. Others say installing the PV3 with the right tune will make it cooler. Can anyone say with certainty that there is one thing that will make the bike run cooler......other than leaving it in the garage and taking the car. I don't need it to be faster. It already has Indian stage 2 cams, Indian Air kit, and the upgraded slip on mufflers. I am considering getting the American Custom fix for the cat. But I don't want to waste money. I also like the low end torque and don't want to loose it with the open exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a bunch of comments on the RM forum and the consensus seems to be the with the cat hollowed out, the engine will run cooler. So I'm probably going to go with the American Custom. All this talk about gutting cats and my cat is hiding upstairs under the bed.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Gutting the cat will cool it down..it's the cat that makes it hot....you may need to retune...why did my cat just run of the bed . really can he tell what I'm typing

·
Senior member / gold
6,175 Posts
It sounds really stupid, but Capt. Itch's Crotch Cooler will make the heat bearable. In the past, before I installed the Freedom Performance True Dual head pipes, I also used the DEI heat shields on the exhaust pipe that was closest to my right leg. It worked so well that I could literally hold my gloved hand on the heat shield and not burn myself after riding for 2 or 3 hours.

·
Silver member
3,337 Posts
I’ve got one cat less bike and it is not that much cooler, sorry that’s just my finding. A tune will help some and the crotch cooler will shield you somewhat. The design of the motor and seat just puts some heat to you from the rear exhaust header.

Confirm there are no exhaust leaks.

You could take the lowers off in the warmer months if your desperate. I leave mine on full time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve got one cat less bike and it is not that much cooler, sorry that’s just my finding. A tune will help some and the crotch cooler will shield you somewhat.
I couldn't agree more. Removal of the cat reduced a smidge of ankle heat at best in my opinion.

A big plus was the introduction of a higher performance air box. Removal of the ductwork from the bikes frame to the stock air filter gives way to some decent air conditioning to the rear head. Check your scoot to verify that a rubber seal (plug) was not installed at the juncture on the frame where the stock ducting was removed since you mentioned you had an "Indian Air Kit" in place. This additional steam of air flowing on the head helps a bit.

Removal of the lowers of course adds a tremendous amount of circulating air to aid in heat reduction. One of my riding mates has a Chieftan, never complained of heat issues. Night & Day difference between the two rides. The RM boxes the heat in nicely, by design of course.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
I've spent the better part of two hours sifting through posts trying to find one solid fix to cool down the TS111 engine. Some say gutting the cat will make it run cooler. Obviously the exhaust will be cooler. Others say installing the PV3 with the right tune will make it cooler. Can anyone say with certainty that there is one thing that will make the bike run cooler......other than leaving it in the garage and taking the car. I don't need it to be faster. It already has Indian stage 2 cams, Indian Air kit, and the upgraded slip on mufflers. I am considering getting the American Custom fix for the cat. But I don't want to waste money. I also like the low end torque and don't want to loose it with the open exhaust.
The one sure thing is put a radiator on it, but thats not possible.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It sounds really stupid, but Capt. Itch's Crotch Cooler will make the heat bearable. In the past, before I installed the Freedom Performance True Dual head pipes, I also used the DEI heat shields on the exhaust pipe that was closest to my right leg. It worked so well that I could literally hold my gloved hand on the heat shield and not burn myself after riding for 2 or 3 hours.
I have a 2017 roadmaster as well. stage one and stage two. And I have freedom performance headers and pipes. I also have a tune from PVCX. And mine still runs rather hot on the right side. I just deal with it. I am in south Georgia and it’s already plenty of hot in the afternoon so I’m about to take my lowers off for the summer and that will also help. I do have a captain itch crotch cooler and that may have to go back on this summer I haven’t decided. I made it OK without it last year but for some reason it seems hotter to me this year already. So it might go back on. But I will wait until after I arrive without the lowers and then re-group if need be

·
Rider
816 Posts
If the heat you feel is your issue, my opinion is a Captain Itch cooler is the best bang for the buck. If you want to lower the actual head temps, then I suggest cooling fans such as Love Jugs which I believe flow the most air. When I had them on mine they reduced the cylinder head temps by about 75 degrees.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the heat you feel is your issue, my opinion is a Captain Itch cooler is the best bang for the buck. If you want to lower the actual head temps, then I suggest cooling fans such as Love Jugs which I believe flow the most air. When I had them on mine they reduced the cylinder head temps by about 75 degrees.
I purchased the Love Jugs Cooling Fans. I’ve spent all evening trying to get them installed. They do not seem to fit where the directions say to install them. When you installed them on your bike, did you first have to remove the horn and all the brackets for the coil? THe directions Lead me to believe that they are installed on top of the bracket. But I could not get either fan bracket to match up. They are close but there’s no way they will fit as is. I finally boxed everything back up and I’m preparing to return them. If you have any suggestions, I’m all for another try. I am very confident that these fans will greatly reduce the radiant heat from the heads and exhaust.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just put on your asbestos panties and ride. I have rush true duals and a captain itch. It is still hotter than Stacie’s mom, but in the cold weather it feels great, in the warm weather.,. Well it’s hot!

·
Rider
816 Posts
I purchased the Love Jugs Cooling Fans. I’ve spent all evening trying to get them installed. They do not seem to fit where the directions say to install them. When you installed them on your bike, did you first have to remove the horn and all the brackets for the coil? THe directions Lead me to believe that they are installed on top of the bracket. But I could not get either fan bracket to match up. They are close but there’s no way they will fit as is. I finally boxed everything back up and I’m preparing to return them. If you have any suggestions, I’m all for another try. I am very confident that these fans will greatly reduce the radiant heat from the heads and exhaust.
It has been a while since I installed them and to be honest, I cannot remember the details of the installation. I have since removed and sold them so I don’t even have the directions to refer to. I do recall that it wasn’t really difficult though. I would suggest trying to contact them before sending the fans back to see if they can clarify it for you. I do want to tell you that although the fans will reduce the actual operating temperature of the engine, they will not reduce the amount of heat you feel from the engine. They simply blow the heat your right leg was getting, onto you left leg.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
We sit astride one of the largest production air-cooled v-twin engines in the world. It creates heat and it needs to shed heat. There are some arguable ways to reduce the actual engine heat, but anything that attempts to shield the heat from our leg or body is holding in that heat; that might make us comfortable, but not the engine.

As far as the engine itself, a different tune can help but remember that the PVCX still allows the engine to operate in closed loop (where the ECU determines air/fuel mix) for most of its operating range, so it is debatable about how much it decreases heat. Same holds true for different air cleaners. Absent actual readings of the heat, I wonder if some of the heat reduction is as much perceived as associating louder with more powerful.

The catalytic converter does generate heat to serve its function -- burning uncombusted fuel mix. Removing it will reduce the heat you feel on your right leg -- fact.

·
Bronze Member
1,359 Posts
What year is your bike? In 2018 they relocated the horn and I believe that the brackets are different than the earlier TS111's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What year is your bike? In 2018 they relocated the horn and I believe that the brackets are different than the earlier TS111's.
I came home from work today and revisited the fans and figured it out as soon as I looked at it. I was tired last night. I shouldn’t have tried to do an install when my brain wasn’t in gear. I got them installed.
I’ll be on a 1500 mile trip over the holiday weekend. So we’ll see if things feel better.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Hi Bikerbill64 use a PowerVision and Dyno tune will help reduce the heat issue as it can be tuned out to a certain amount but the real issue with the heat is the cat ,but deleting it it does add another issue and thats a bit louder or some say deeper.I have just delete my cat and had the PVCX with custom tune once I did my stage 2 cams it made a difference but did not solve the issue 100% so now Iam doing the 116 Big Bore kit I deleted the cat and once the bikes ran in it will have the PVCX and custom tune to smooth it out as the generic tunes as just that . Tune it to suit your bikes motor and Mods works the best as longs you have good tuner that can do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Bikerbill64 use a PowerVision and Dyno tune will help reduce the heat issue as it can be tuned out to a certain amount but the real issue with the heat is the cat ,but deleting it it does add another issue and thats a bit louder or some say deeper.I have just delete my cat and had the PVCX with custom tune once I did my stage 2 cams it made a difference but did not solve the issue 100% so now Iam doing the 116 Big Bore kit I deleted the cat and once the bikes ran in it will have the PVCX and custom tune to smooth it out as the generic tunes as just that . Tune it to suit your bikes motor and Mods works the best as longs you have good tuner that can do it.
I spent the money on the cooling fans and put them in. I’m about to go on a 1500 mile trip over the holiday weekend and its expected to be in the 90’s. So we’ll see how good these fans are. But as far as modifying the exhaust, I’m not changing the system. It seems there’s a familiar story with many people, Gutted the cat, had to add the PV tuner, decided to go to the true duals, then ended up with the 116 big bore kit. Too much money wasted. So I’m gonna put gas in it and ride it til the wheels fall off. The fans will help displace the heat.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I came home from work today and revisited the fans and figured it out as soon as I looked at it. I was tired last night. I shouldn’t have tried to do an install when my brain wasn’t in gear. I got them installed.
I’ll be on a 1500 mile trip over the holiday weekend. So we’ll see if things feel better.
I will be waiting for your reply.....

--
Gordon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought an Ultimate solo seat and noticed my right thigh no longer cooksfrom the heat coming off the cat. Last weekend, I put the stock eat back on for use with the tourpac. I immediately noticed the heat on the bottom of my right thigh. After replacing with the new Ultimate seat, the heat is no longer an issue. That is riding in air temp of 84 deg.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Only had my 2018 RM about 2 weeks now, after the first ride it seemed like the heated seats were on high the whole time but they were in fact off. After my first couple of rides I decided to try and fix some of it by placing heat reflective tape on the bottom of the seat and it was instantly noticeable. The seat quit getting hot, but the heat from the cylinder and the cat still warms the legs up pretty bad. Ordered a croch cooler, S&S intake, jackpot 2 / 1 / 2 head pipe to remove the cat, Freedom slip on’s and a PV3.

My story on the croch cooler... I can get it to go on but I just don’t like it, besides hiding that work of art under it the thing wants to rub hard on the beautiful paint of the Elite and I just can’t have that even if it works well. So I have a pretty nice piece of leather art on the garage wall now. I could not wait so I already installed the freedoms just to see what they would sound like. Not to bad, but the real story will come once the head pipe shows up with no cat and less heat, couple all that with the tune and I have high hopes for a stronger running cooler engine. That’s The theory, we will see how it goes.

Riding back into myrtle beach last weekend I got stuck in an hour of stop and. Stop traffic trying to get to the hotel, it was 100 deg + and 90 + hum slight hot breeze blowing from the right to left, it blew the hot from the right over to my left leg and gave me real burns on my thigh and below the knee, still have a 2-3in burn that is just now starting to blister. Ugh...

Need to bust out the welding leathers I guess if the pipes, air, and tune don’t help a little.

My seat stays as cool as a seat my hot ass is sitting on can be now though so thats a start.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts