Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm Jim, 68 years young and been in the saddle for almost 54 years.
I've been lurking in this forum for almost a year now. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Springfield bagger and I should have my mind made up in a few days. My 2001 Yamaha RoadStar has over 95,000 on him, so I believe it's about time I did an upgrade. I've had 9 motorcycles in my life, time for number 10.
I believe I'm going to get a darn good deal on a new 2016 Springfield. I've done my due diligence in researching the bike and I don't think I could choose a better make and model for my needs. The question is, do I wait and get a 17 or jump on the 16? I know this engine and frame (other than maybe the rake and trail) has been around for a few years so I'm hoping they're done with all the little tweaks. Color changes are not an option as I'm getting the Thunder Black. Does anybody know if there are any changes to the 2017 that might persuade me to buy the newer model year?

Thanks, TucsonJim

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
I ride a 2016 Black Springer and love it. But today I say a 17 that is burgundy and silver two tone. I have to admit it was gorgeous. I think colors are the main difference. So if you want black save some money and get the 16.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I saw both 2 tones Springfields today. Both have metal flake and look better live than in photos. But that $1100 up charge from black is steep.

·
Registered
395 Posts
TJ, there are no changes on the 17s, except the new two tone paint colors. And since you seem to keep and enjoy your bikes over time, you absolutely should save some money and get the 16.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride a 2016 Black Springer and love it. But today I say a 17 that is burgundy and silver two tone. I have to admit it was gorgeous. I think colors are the main difference. So if you want black save some money and get the 16.
Thanks for replying Marcus. I agree the new colors are outstanding, especially the maroon and silver. But it's been over 30 years since I've had a black ride, I think it's about time again. (Got to be a badass in my old-age, LOL.)

Reactions: thumper

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw both 2 tones Springfields today. Both have metal flake and look better live than in photos. But that $1100 up charge from black is steep.
GBR, if all goes well, next week I'll be showing up in the New Members thread.
I expect to save even more than that 1100 bucks with the 2016 model.
Im chopping at the bit for that chrome and black two wheeler!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TJ, there are no changes on the 17s, except the new two tone paint colors. And since you seem to keep and enjoy your bikes over time, you absolutely should save some money and get the 16.
I expected that there was not going to be many mechanical changes in the new year models. The bike has been made about as good as it's going to get so far.
Thanks for your input Nomad!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had the same issue on 14 and 15 and went with 14 for 5 year warrantee. Since there is no difference and you keep bikes a long time I would go for the best price on 16 and spend extra money on a/c change and drilling out the standard mufflers and remove the cat plus flash....these bike don't need much of anything else in general ....you will love it.....or ride the chieftain and go for 16 if you want the technologies and windshield motorized.... The chieftain has a few extras that are nice but the Springfield is a great bike.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Go with the 2016. You have done your research, so go for it !!
With a handle like "Itsallgood", how could I possibly not follow your advice!
Thanks for your thoughts.

Reactions: Itsallgood

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same issue on 14 and 15 and went with 14 for 5 year warrantee. Since there is no difference and you keep bikes a long time I would go for the best price on 16 and spend extra money on a/c change and drilling out the standard mufflers and remove the cat plus flash....these bike don't need much of anything else in general ....you will love it.....or ride the chieftain and go for 16 if you want the technologies and windshield motorized.... The chieftain has a few extras that are nice but the Springfield is a great bike.....
Hey Avanti, I was considering buying the new Chieftain but the new Black Pearl seems to be metalflake, I wasn't quite ready for that. Also that info-system is new, so I would like for them to work on that for a few years before I go with the Chieftain.

·
Rider
453 Posts
Make sure you get the lower wind deflectors with your new bike. Really cuts down on the buffeting. Indian has some nice dark tinted ones. And then get a captain itch crotch cooler. My 2 most useful add ons. You will love the Springfield!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Make sure you get the lower wind deflectors with your new bike. Really cuts down on the buffeting. Indian has some nice dark tinted ones. And then get a captain itch crotch cooler. My 2 most useful add ons. You will love the Springfield!
Thanks for the advice my friend. I realize this is going to be a new bike for me so I need advice like this to help me ride well.
Your forum name made me smile, Ratfish, very cool!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I expected that there was not going to be many mechanical changes in the new year models. The bike has been made about as good as it's going to get so far.
Thanks for your input Nomad!
I was in a similar situation as you. I wanted the red one but was afraid to buy the 16 fearing the 17s would have nice updates, but also was afraid Indian would not make the red one in 17 and I would lose my dealers last 16. But all worked out. That black model with chrome, awesome, no other colors make chrome pop like black...man your going to love it, congrats!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And black ones are the fastest
I can't believe I keep forgetting that technical fact...it goes without saying.
Thanks for reminding me of that "fact".
I had a black (with some red) Ninja ZX10, 18 years ago,
I got that puppy up to 172 mph on a deserted road in Nevada.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get the 16. Also, remember, black is a slimming color.
Mmmmmm! Thanks for reminding me of that Steve.
I need all the help I can get, I'm not exactly a thin, dainty little thing o_O

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The dark house chieftain may be a possibility .....I am not jumping on 17's with the iPad screen for a number of reasons so you have many options and the ability to negotiate......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts