Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I tried the 16" Freedom Shield for my Springfield, but I went with the 14" instead. It's the curved windshield, light smoke grey, in like-new condition. It's just the windshield, not including hardware - and will only fit the Springfield. If you want to make an offer, just PM me. Thanks!

IMG_1619.JPG

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,753 Posts
That's going to make one of you taller guys a good deal.;)

·
Rider
410 Posts
Hey all, I tried the 16" Freedom Shield for my Springfield, but I went with the 14" instead. It's the curved windshield, light smoke grey, in like-new condition. It's just the windshield, not including hardware - and will only fit the Springfield. If you want to make an offer, just PM me. Thanks!

View attachment 49943
At the risk of digging up the old thread, how do you like the 14" compared to the 16"? I realize that height and torso length have a lot do with it. How does the 14" compare to the stock shield? Is it about the same height. Thanks in advance for all the feedback

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the risk of digging up the old thread, how do you like the 14" compared to the 16"? I realize that height and torso length have a lot do with it. How does the 14" compare to the stock shield? Is it about the same height. Thanks in advance for all the feedback
At 6', I like the 14" Freedom shield more than the 16" version...but only by a smidge. Although I can see over both, I prefer the 14" because I never find myself looking through it; if I was 6'1" or taller > go with the 16" shield. Compared to the stock 15" Springfield shield, the Freedom 14" is lower but still provides better coverage because of the flip design = reduced head buffeting.

·
5,753 Posts
Wow! I would have bet money that would be gone already. You mean there are no other tall riders? This would be great for anyone though that likes their stock shield as the Freedom shield is just optically superior. Not to mention thicker in case you get attacked by a large bird.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
i am getting ready to order my Freedom and debating between the 12' and 14'. I'm 5' 9 and thinking the 12' would be perfect but i ride 2 up often and I want the wind to clear both of us.... Any insight?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I am 5'9" and have no problem seeing over the 14". Torso height may be a more significant measure than overall height, and I think it is recommended to stick masking tape on the stock shield to emulate what you'd be looking at/over with each option.

·
5,753 Posts
I am 5'9" and have no problem seeing over the 14". Torso height may be a more significant measure than overall height, and I think it is recommended to stick masking tape on the stock shield to emulate what you'd be looking at/over with each option.
Yep it is. I used to be 5'11" but a collapsing spine has me at 5'10" now and I could just barely see over the 12" if a forced myself to sit up as straight as possible. Measure first. Then go out on the road and verify. The recurve shoots the wind over as if it is ~2 inches taller so consider that as well.

·
Bronze member
2,230 Posts
i am getting ready to order my Freedom and debating between the 12' and 14'. I'm 5' 9 and thinking the 12' would be perfect but i ride 2 up often and I want the wind to clear both of us.... Any insight?
Have you tried riding without the shield?

The airflow around the edges is what creates all the turbulence.

I usually ride backroads only but yesterday had to do about 8 miles on the freeway which means 70 MPH in the right lane (left is 85+).

At 70 it was just fine, but if I had the shield on it would have been very "busy" wind-wise.

I've ridden at 70 into a 30+ MPH headwind, and it is a bit of a chore at that speed but the trade-off for not having all that visual noise in my line of sight is a fair exchange. The reflections in the shield off the nacelle and fork shrouds are just too much for me.

Anyway, you might go back and forth a few times on a few rides to make sure you do need the shielding from the wind. I think the shield creates more problems than it cures.

I found that using the backrest (which means you don't have to use your arms to hold the bars in order to keep from being pushed back by the wind) that it is very comfortable just as-is.

HTH.

WD./

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put on a freedom 14". I am 5'10" and this is perfect for me. I can see over it and the flow is a little higher vs the stock springfield (buffeting improved). So it is a little shorter but works better than the stock for me at my height.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm still looking for an offer on a like-new Freedom Shield 16" in light grey that I purchased, and quickly switched to the 14" version because I'm 6' tall. If you're over 6' in height, you may be looking for this 16" version which I have for sale. Just PM me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yea as much as i may think I am 6 plus I am not. :) I'm 5'9 so need to find a 14'. If not I will prob just order one this week.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 16" Freedom Windshield is sold. Thanks everyone.

·
Rider
521 Posts
I have a 16 inch light gray tint Freedom Windshield that was never used, not a day or minute, that I want to sell for good offer I also ordered a 14 inch and I've been using I'm 510 and seems to work great for me.

I'm in New York and could send out as soon as you send payment to my PayPal account please include shipping in your offer
Please note this is only for a Springfield not any other bike ...

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
I have a 16 inch light gray tint Freedom Windshield that was never used, not a day or minute, that I want to sell for good offer I also ordered a 14 inch and I've been using I'm 510 and seems to work great for me.

I'm in New York and could send out as soon as you send payment to my PayPal account please include shipping in your offer
Please note this is only for a Springfield not any other bike ...
Please advertise it in the "Parts for Sale" thread, not here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts