Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has been sitting about 6 weeks, plenty of fuel, battery not on tender but reads just under 12 when powered up but not started.

Normal sequence, flip switch, hear the fuel load in, and push button but nothing, just a click - no turning over. Strangely each time I hit the ignition it seems to load more fuel? I don't remember ever hearing that before.

Going to look for my tender and throw it on.

Other insight or comments greatly appreciated. Sadly my truck is in the shop this morning and my bike was supposed to get me to work :(

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You probably just need a new battery. My original (16 Springfield) lasted 2 years. Probably could have gone more but I decided to go ahead and change it since I was doing a road trip. My second only lasted 1 1/2 years before I changed it. I saw a spike in volts. Had the tech do a complete check. It was the battery. It happens. Bought my wife a brand new truck. A little over a year later she was stranded. Battery. Anyways, check the terminals first to make sure they are tight. You can remove the battery and have it load tested. But be careful.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
cold temps will kill a battery in very short time. but going on 3 yrs old battery. time to get out the wallet. but if your in the beginning of winter. i might hold off on getting one. start fresh in spring.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It is the exposure of the VCM module that has caused some people a bit of grief. Do not allow that can to contact the battery. Be sure to remove negative battery cable from terminal before doing anything else on the battery electrical.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The heat does a number in these batteries as well. Thank goodness for the volt meter on the dash. I was able to see the spike in voltage which made me do a check. You just never know with batteries

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't just under 12 voltage indicate a normal battery tho? No other signs of battery problems, just not attempting to turn over at all - just a click.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Wouldn't just under 12 voltage indicate a normal battery tho? No other signs of battery problems, just not attempting to turn over at all - just a click.
Even if it shows 12 volts it can be bad. Mine showed 12 volts and dipped into the 10s during start. Slow start. 3 years bro. Have it checked.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
12.8 volts for a fully charged battery at rest. Mostly discharged can still read 12.0 at rest. What matters is where that voltage goes once a load is applied.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
One thing that happens as batteries age is a gradual chemical process called sulfation. This will build internal resistance in the battery, eventually a cell will fail completely. Heat is an enemy for sure. I have had batteries in Alaska last 10 years and more... Kansas, maybe 2 years.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all - unfortunately I think my tender is in my truck...which I dropped off at the shop :(

Looks like I'm not working today.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,026 Posts
Connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals and hit the starter button to get an idea what it's doing under load. If it drops below 9 V the battery most likely needs replacing. One of your local auto parts stores can do a load-test as well although you should make sure the battery is fully charged when the test is performed.
--- Randall

1 - 14 of 14 Posts