Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed when i start the RM.. usually cold/sometimes warmed up...that it will intermittently puff out an initial cloud of white smoke. Its got 1500 miles on it and just noticed this in the last 50 miles or so. . . Mentioned it to my local indian dealer when in for service and they said that's normal. Anyone else see this? FYI bike has pipes intake and tuner..no internal mods.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
No amount of exhaust smoke should be termed normal. With only 1500 miles, there should be no reason for any internal engine issues to be present. Your bike may be having some sort of fuel injection or fuel related glitch during the cold-start. I would start by logging a trial run and taking a look for anomalies in PowerCore, or asking for some tuning help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I see this sometimes from the left pipe but I believe it is related to moisture that accumulates in the lower level pipe (as the bike sits on the kickstand) I see it more often in cooler weather though. So vapour rather than exhaust smoke in my case??

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's true the right pipe runs hotter and burns out all the moisture.. The left pipe is only getting a little diverted exhaust. Bassani make a two into one into two that works a lot better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No amount of exhaust smoke should be termed normal. With only 1500 miles, there should be no reason for any internal engine issues to be present. Your bike may be having some sort of fuel injection or fuel related glitch during the cold-start. I would start by logging a trial run and taking a look for anomalies in PowerCore, or asking for some tuning help.[/QUOTE

It doesnt smell like a rich mix or fuel issues. No black smoke..white smoke only.. if anything, it smells like oil. not just when cold. initial starts...cold /warm..its intermittent.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Do you have your compression-test results from the 500-mile service? If that was not done, it might be helpful to obtain and know at this point. At least diagnostics can then be zeroed in on the real source of the issue.

I have less than 40,000 miles on one of the newer Ford F150 eco-boost engines and it has that exact symptom of white smoke on cold-starts, sometimes it is dramatic (big cloud). Dealer has already had the heads replaced and cannot seem to explain why this engine does what it does. I know, not helpful, but I just wonder about these kinds of intermittent smoky issues with modern fuel injected engines. However, the Ford is direct injected and the Indian is port injected.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd still pull the plugs and look at them. If they are white then you may be running too lean if they are black or wet then too rich. Check the gaps the factory setting are usually always wrong one plug will be too wide and the other too close on the same bike I've seen this a lot. Todays modern electronics allow you to set a wide gap getting a better burn and making plugs last much longer. You can always take your bike to a tuner with a Dyno they can get the optimum out of your bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
plugs look fine. Properly gapped and clean. did a compression test on it..75 in each cylinder. Seems a little low but maybe thats what these bikes are supposed to be at..? Or my harbor freight comp. gauge is "off" a bit.. Seeing they were both the same, i think compression is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
plugs look fine. Properly gapped and clean. did a compression test on it..75 in each cylinder. Seems a little low but maybe thats what these bikes are supposed to be at..? Or my harbor freight comp. gauge is "off" a bit.. Seeing they were both the same, i think compression is fine.
Compression info that may be worth your time.

Low compression | Indian Motorcycle Forum

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Once the piston rings seat in, around 3 to 4 thousand miles, it will go away. Every engine is different, depends on temps outside too. How did you break in your engine? Did you follow the manual, or just get on it and ride till your first oil change?

·
Registered
25 Posts
808 might be right, got old gas once ,ran poorly, smoked a little, drained the tank,refilled with fresh gas,all is well.12k on my 18 chieftain

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im banking on the theory that the rings havent fully seated yet...if it gets worse, i'll muscle the dealership into freshening up the top end to the 116.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts