Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started about a month or so ago on my '15 Vintage. I'll be down the road, get out of town onto the freeway, and suddenly I'll get what sounds like one of the cylinders cutting out. I'll get a check engine light and I'll have to pull over, cut off the system and then restart to get back on the road again. If I were closer to an Indian dealership, I'd go, but want to 'put it out there' to see if anyone else has experienced this. It doesn't happen every ride either, which just gives me this uneasy feeling every time I go out. My thoughts are: fuel filter (no), spark plugs (maybe), air filter (maybe)... Hope it isn't the computer! Please chime in!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Insufficient data at this point... Check plug wires, spark plugs, that would be a smart starting point. Spark Wires can intermittently short to ground, cause the cylinder misfire, and resulting ECM error condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do that - as a starting point, for sure. Thanks for the comeback! Someday I'll get to the dealer - busy times right now, but should 'calm down' soon.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
NDN-MAC , as dieselgman said all of that and also check to make sure the pug leads are firm in the spark plus , behind the horn cover the lead can be rubbing on the heads too so another thing too check as if they wear through they will cause it to short out also. All of the above can be checked in mins. and save you lots of heart ache.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense - I will check on those areas. I took the bike out this afternoon and also noticed swings in the battery voltage. I have a sneaking suspicion I’ve got the original battery and need to change it ASAP as well.

·
Founding Member
408 Posts
Is the bike throwing any codes? I have a '14 Classic and just had to change my knock sensor. What is interesting and worth a look is my mechanic told me that all the wiring zip ties were there, however all of them had dry rotted and broke. So he tied them back off. The knock sensor line melted against the head and finally shorted out. Of course it did throw a code for that.

So the look behind the horn cover is time well spent to check the security of your wiring zip ties.

·
Rider
369 Posts
This happened to me on my ‘19 Chief DH yesterday. I was under hard acceleration, and the motor cut out into what seemed to be ‘limp mode’. The check engine light came on, and I pulled over. Unfortunately, I turned it off before I noticed or looked for a fault code. When turned power back on, the engine light illuminated. I started the engine, and it ran normal with the light still on. I continued my ride to my destination, shut down, and then fired up to head home. The engine responded normal with the CE light on. No codes. I called my dealer and was told to bring it in.

I may have bounced the rev limiter on that first hard acceleration when it all happened. I’m not sure if it’s related. I’ll check for loose or damaged wires.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
This happened to me on my ‘19 Chief DH yesterday. I was under hard acceleration, and the motor cut out into what seemed to be ‘limp mode’. The check engine light came on, and I pulled over. Unfortunately, I turned it off before I noticed or looked for a fault code. When turned power back on, the engine light illuminated. I started the engine, and it ran normal with the light still on. I continued my ride to my destination, shut down, and then fired up to head home. The engine responded normal with the CE light on. No codes. I called my dealer and was told to bring it in.

I may have bounced the rev limiter on that first hard acceleration when it all happened. I’m not sure if it’s related. I’ll check for loose or damaged wires.
Sounds like you are having too much fun!
I don't think I have found my 5400 rpm rev limiter yet. 5300 is just about close enough! ;)
Yours may clear after 3rd or 4th restart.
Many transient conditions can mess with your ECM. Start with battery terminal and ground connections. It is amazing how many problems come back to this simple thing. Best of luck catching and evicting that gremlin!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe take a look at the crankshaft position sensor. The usual, check the condition of wiring and connections. Only going off of issues Okie Addiction (YouTube) had with his scout. Two different engines, I know, but similar sounding problem regardless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you are having too much fun!
I don't think I have found my 5400 rpm rev limiter yet. 5300 is just about close enough! ;)
Yours may clear after 3rd or 4th restart.
Many transient conditions can mess with your ECM. Start with battery terminal and ground connections. It is amazing how many problems come back to this simple thing. Best of luck catching and evicting that gremlin!
So I buy a battery, it comes in, and I go to replace it -- BOOM! The terminals on the 'old' battery were loose! LESSON LEARNED!! At least I have an extra battery now... I'll maintain it while it sits on the shelf, but I'll go ahead and replace the old one in about a year or so. If this is the original battery, it'll just be time - although the 'old' one doesn't show any signs of getting weak (now that the terminals are nice and tight).

Thanks to all responders for all areas to check - one never knows what other things may go wrong.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
if it was me I would replace it now... if it's the original it's 4 years and maybe 5 depending on build date ... you already spent the shekels... unless your just to the end of the riding season and want to wait until spring.. but in my experience when a battery goes it doesn't tell you "hey in 3 more starts I'm done"... IMO just a piece of mind...

Reactions: wildmandmc

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
High plains.yup I had prob had a diesel truck went to store came back home for 10 min went back out both batteries dead. Truck was well warmed up. Would barely turn over.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Had a similar problem, but not a dead battery last night. Hit a pretty big pot hole(luckily no flat on the 19) engine lost power & no throttle response, coasted over to side of the road & engine light lit up. Powered down, still on, but was good to go. Got gas..light still on, woke up this morning, light off..rode 36 miles to work & back the same no issues m, fingers crossed it stays the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts