Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed out my tires and wanted to go with whitewalls.

20200321_185620.jpg

Before changing them, I was researching on here and read a lot of complaints about the original Kendas, and their low mileage. For what's it's worth, I got 15,000 miles on them and probably could have got more, as the fronts were just at the wear tabs. The rears had plenty left. They were 5 years old too, which also led to my conservative decision to change them. And the rear had a nail in it that I didn't notice and it was still holding pressure. I never had any traction issues either.

Depending on how my new ones wear, I might just put Kendas back on the next time. Too bad they don't come in white!
20200322_105049.jpg

20200322_105101.jpg

·
Bronze Member
2,319 Posts
You are living right, I only got 6.5k out of the front and I think 13k out of the rear one. I have been using the frenchy french tires since then and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Beautiful bike @RedCloud! (y) Your Kendas look like twins of mine :giggle:, only I have a bit less than 9k on it and I don't ride crazy - don't get it how you got that many miles out of them :oops: but good for you. Anyway, I'm planning after another 1k or so on the Kendas putting whitewalls on as well. Maybe spring eventually arrives in this part of the country anytime soon and makes me make that change rather sooner than later. Who knows, maybe I'm still allowed then to leave my house and go for a ride :sick::D. What brand of WWs and what sizes did you choose?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beautiful bike @RedCloud! (y) Your Kendas look like twins of mine :giggle:, only I have a bit less than 9k on it and I don't ride crazy - don't get it how you got that many miles out of them :oops: but good for you. Anyway, I'm planning after another 1k or so on the Kendas putting whitewalls on as well. Maybe spring eventually arrives in this part of the country anytime soon and makes me make that change rather sooner than later. Who knows, maybe I'm still allowed then to leave my house and go for a ride :sick::D. What brand of WWs and what sizes did you choose?
Thank you...who is Joy...your wife? Jk jk. The white walls are Metzeler's wide white walls, same exact size as the stock tires, except the rear is 77H load rating, instead of 71H like stock. 77H is higher load rating, so that should be better.

I kinda chuckle at your compliment on my bike, the only add ons are the fishtail pipes, the rear seat, and the white walls. That is how awesome the whitewalls enhance the bike. Thank you again.

As far as the mileage goes on the Kendas, all I can say is I'm pretty anal about manufacturer's recommendations* (to a logical point). I keep them inflated to spec and lift them off the ground during the winter. This is my first bike too, and I hate to admit I locked the tires up a couple times too, so they even held up to my skidding.

Hang in there buddy, this crisis will be over soon, and we'll all have to look back on how we behaved though it. Don't lose your shit, keep your sanity, save some shit paper for the next guy!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are living right, I only got 6.5k out of the front and I think 13k out of the rear one. I have been using the frenchy french tires since then and will continue to do so.
What are Frenchy's?
Hey, I like the war bonnet on your Scout! That's my next project during this crisis.

·
Registered
386 Posts
@RedCloud
"Thank you...who is Joy...your wife?" :oops: :giggle:(y);) she is a joy, too (y)
"the only add ons are the fishtail pipes, the rear seat, and the white walls" - yeah, these whitewalls are like salt in a meal: They enhance everything dramatically :cool:.
"Thank you again" - you are welcome.
"Hey, I like the war bonnet on your Scout! That's my next project during this crisis" - that was an X-Mas present from my wife - love it (and her ;)) - it's the smaller one (6") from Charlotte Indian, all metal (y)
"Don't lose your shit, keep your sanity, save some shit paper for the next guy!" - I always keep the next guy in my mind :devilish: and since we all have emptied the shelfs in the grocery stores and stocked up with toilet paper and pasta, here is what you can do with all that shit in your pantry :LOL::eek::ROFLMAO: check this out if you are a foodie:
Self isolation for foodies: our top 10 recipes for pasta and toilet paper HILLARIOUS!

·
Bronze member
1,259 Posts
Five years old kind of call the finish regardless of mileage. Getting caught in the rain at the wear bars isn’t pleasant either. I’ve broken these rules myself but I have a big bag of horse shoes. I no longer push the limits as my youth brain was replaced with a pain brain. White walls look really cool.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
Ah, I never put that together, but now that you mention it, I can see the french now in that fat, white, rolley guy...
:)
His name is Bibendum, which is latin for drinking or getting drunk. Probably not the association they would choose these days.

·
Bronze member
1,949 Posts
Changed out my Kenda’s for Michelin’s too, at just over 10,000 miles. Plenty of tread left.

I noticed the same thing about the front tire wearing faster than the rear.
My Yamaha did the opposite. I thought all motorcycle rear tires wore out first.
Really never had enough motorcycles to know.

Reactions: Red Cloud

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard that the rule of thumb is the rears wear out twice as fast as the fronts, but you also got more out of the rears...
I got 13K+ out of my Kendas without any issues.
Have since replaced them with Commander IIs
Good, I was starting to think I was the only one and there was something wrong with me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts