Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lloyd’s offers a choice for you 121 installation I’m hoping by now a few of you have
Installed this big bore kit and can give me your impressions
I do plan on going this route
I’m not sure wich pistons I want to use because I have not been able to get hp and torq numbers for reference depending on the numbers I would decide if I’m going to
Super charge the bike and that would determine the piston choice
I know this is a small club
Please sure your thoughts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lloyd’s offers a choice for you 121 installation I’m hoping by now a few of you have
Installed this big bore kit and can give me your impressions
I do plan on going this route
I’m not sure wich pistons I want to use because I have not been able to get hp and torq numbers for reference depending on the numbers I would decide if I’m going to
Super charge the bike and that would determine the piston choice
I know this is a small club
Please sure your thoughts
I'm guessing he's offering a high and a low compression piston?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. If combined with our Supercharger Kit for Indian models, dished pistons can be provided (kit includes flat-top pistons by default).

·
Registered
896 Posts
. If combined with our Supercharger Kit for Indian models, dished pistons can be provided (kit includes flat-top pistons by default).
Makes sense. You should absolutely go for flat tops and the supercharger. I really wanted to go the forced air route. Life stuff said the cost was too great.

·
Rider
681 Posts
The lower static compression you have, will allow you to run more boost.
This effectively raises your compression. My blown BBC was running 7.25:1 static, with the blower running 2:24 over speed of the engine RPM. With a 6000 redline the blower was spinning 13440. This much boost makes lots of heat, so on the street I used a 1:5 pulley. I also ran a 100hp NOS plate system just to cool the charge.
I would read as much as you can on this before you dump this much in a touring/ cruiser DD bike.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s apples vs oranges
If no one like my idea my goal there would be no need for performance parts

·
Registered
163 Posts
That’s apples vs oranges
If no one like my idea my goal there would be no need for performance parts
I know, I was in a smart ass mood. I once had a Vulcan 2000 (125 ci, 2053cc) v-twin and thought such engine sizes were getting out of hand even back then, 10+ years ago. I just think a more efficient engine is the way to go. Victory had something but unfortunately they were silenced. I doubt Indian will ever go the route of overhead cams but maybe 4 valve heads will be next. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Bronze member
2,561 Posts
BossHoss - be done with it. If not, may I suggest either a Gixxer 1300 or a Ninja 1400.
This is the right answer. No matter what you do to an Indian Chief, a Japanese sport bike at 1/2 the price will out perform it.
IMO, you don't buy a Chief because you want to tear up the 1/4 mile or break 200 mph. You buy an Indian Chief because you love the history, the styling, and the massive torque.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is hope Checked out Lloyd’s face book page and found this its a ts111
Just over 200 hp

·
Bronze member
1,382 Posts
If you decide to go the 121 or SC route, I would highly recommend taking it to one of the places that has previously done the work. For the 121 that would be Lloyd's shop. For the SC, I think there have been a couple more.

The reason for that is, my local dealer had a customer wanting to install the SC on his Dark Horse and the mech had a nightmare installing it. There are no instructions (there is one video on Lloyds website) and a couple of the parts had to be machined to make it work and fit correctly. Lloyd provided zero support when the mech tried calling.

FWIW, this is not an isolated case. I know of at least 2 other instances with superchargers that people wanted to have installed, by reputable people, that were a disaster for the same reasons - no instructions and no support.

·
Bronze member
1,824 Posts
200 hp? That would be very impressive. However that most likely would lead to a lot of other needed upgraded parts imo. Custom clutch plates, springs, gears, drive belt/chain, sprockets, etc. Post a video or link like to see it.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Yes, there's nothing wrong with wanting to make your bike your own from simple accessories to the most full blow engine however, an undertaking of converting not only the engine components, electrical & electronics equipment to support it and not forgetting to mention upgrading the bike itself to be able to safely handle all of the new found HP, Torque and speed that usually comes with it. You will virtually or most likely need to rebuild the entire bike. Even something as simple as tires due to speed ratings, limits etc....

It can be done with enough time, money, knowledge and equally importantly..... great patience.

Then once you complete your masterpiece, will it be something you could ride every day or would it only see the track occasionally or possibly even worse, it'll end up getting stuffed into some museum somewhere..... Just Kidding ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got off the phone with Lloyds talked with Danny
No one other that Lloyd has a 121 kit at this time
I couldn’t get compression numbers or hp expections nor any information regarding the super charger
He did say he would get back to me via e-mail after he talks to Lloyd
I’ll be waiting

One thing I don’t like about this is sending my bike from California to the east coast or pulling the jugs to send off but I don’t think it can be helped
If more guy were buying the 121 kit it would be possible to swap the jugs
Then I could rebuild it my self
Sounds like I’m going to join a very lonely club

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just got off the phone with Lloyds talked with Danny
No one other that Lloyd has a 121 kit at this time
I couldn’t get compression numbers or hp expections nor any information regarding the super charger
He did say he would get back to me via e-mail after he talks to Lloyd
I’ll be waiting

One thing I don’t like about this is sending my bike from California to the east coast or pulling the jugs to send off but I don’t think it can be helped
I believe the case has to be machined as well.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I don't and wouldn't like the idea of swapping jugs (for someone else's) out on a large bore build, you never know what conditions the used jugs were subject to. I was a first class machinist for years (international association of machinist & aerospace worker) If swapping-out meant sending in your original jugs and getting brand new ones bored and prepared in their place for a reduces price, well then yeah... Otherwise, sending in your own jugs to be bored, sleeved etc, etc and then returned to you when completed is the norm.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lloydz states right on the website it’s not really forstreet anymore, the engine also requires Carrillo rods

He would need to say that for EPA regardless

I just need some solid information before proceeding
And it still won’t happen until winter
Step one bungs and tune to finish 585 install as well as a Barnett clutch
step two 121 install
Step three would be the supercharger

Reactions: Shardy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts