Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 2016 Roadmaster is getting a 120 cubic inch engine build and is for member Black2016RMrider. If you want to follow along I will be posting pictures and content as the build moves forward. This Dyno sheet shows us the “As Delivered” performance. The “Before & After” runs will be performed on the same Dyno for a true comparison of power gains.

·
Senior member / gold
6,428 Posts
Dying to see the dyno numbers once it's back in the frame.

·
Registered
361 Posts
2016 Indian Roadmaster History

Bought in September 2015 as my retirement gift to myself.

Noticed excessive engine noise (the clack/rattle) at first oil change, told dealer, dealer said “its normal”.

I had stage 2 cams, Indian Stage 1 air cleaner, Vance & Hines turn down slip-ons and a Dobeck EJK fuel controller installed on the bike at 8,000 kms (5,000 miles). No change in engine noise.

Had bike at a dealer in SoCal in March 2017, Service Manager and Technician both rode my bike, said it was the worst engine noise they’d ever heard on an Indian 111. They went to bat for me and put in a warranty claim with Polaris Industries which was denied (told to take it back to dealer in Canada). Took it to dealer back home, they had the bike for 6 weeks, didn’t seem to want to do much (even had them talk to the SoCal Service Manager about the noise). They ended up putting in a new cam chain tensioner which really didn’t seem to do much for the noise.

Engine noise prevalence at 2500-3000 rpm or when under load (cruise control on and accelerating up slight incline).

After reading posts about @CraigB1960 and the rave reviews about his tuning abilities, I purchased a PVCX, removed the Dobeck EJK and paid the ARTS (Advanced Remote Tuning Service) cost. I followed Craig’s instructions and emailed him numerous logs from rides and he tuned my bike over a period of a few weeks (due to excessively cold temperatures at my home). We got to a point where I was very pleased with the performance and Craig offered to try and tune out some of the noise but at a cost of performance. I opted to stay where we were at with the tuning as I was very pleased with the bikes new performance (much better throttle response and overall ride ability). I continue to screw in the ear plugs and turn up the stereo to drown out the engine noise. I had my bike in for new tires and my dealer let me take a 2018 Indian Chieftain 116 BBK for a ride. The engine was much quieter than mine but I was honestly disappointed with the performance (even in sport mode) - it didn’t knock my socks off!

I contacted Craig and met up with him at his house for him to ride my bike and give me his opinion on the engine noise (2 weeks ago). He rode my bike and I followed on his stage 3 cam Roadmaster. I was immediately impressed with the performance of his bike and the lack of engine noise compared to mine. He got off my bike and agreed the noise was excessive and he said no additional tuning could fix the noise. He suggested contacting Jeff Tudor at Indian V-Twin Performance in Phoenix if I was interested in having the engine rebuilt. I also noticed that my fuel economy had gone south (I was averaging 45 mpg at highway speeds, but in the last few months it’s been in the mid 30’s). Craig suspected intake manifold adapters were cracked.

I contacted Jeff and rode my bike to Phoenix from Yuma. Jeff let me take his 2017 Indian Chief Dark Horse 120 Stroker for a ride. Big mistake for me! I loved the torque and performance of his ride. After thinking about the rebuild and cost difference between the 116 cu in build and the 120 cu. In. Stroker build, I chose to go with the 120 Stroker. Looking forward to riding the end result!
Also upgrading to the Fuel Moto Jackpot header, switch to the PV3 and add the Dyno Jet Quickshifter (after riding Craig’s bike it was a must have!). Stay tuned for the build and end results! Bike has almost 48,000 miles on it now.

·
Rider
717 Posts
Very curious as well, feeling it's going to be interesting to follow your 120 Stroker project. Is the build going to include the new TS116 heads for improved breathing?

·
Bronze member
2,012 Posts
GREAT thread ... I see all ingredients and spices for an intersting cooking on the kitchen table!

Looking forward! (yummy )

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,142 Posts
Well 120 cubes with a crankshaft and 116 to 121 can be had with big bore kits. Who knows what the combination of the two might produce. 131 or more possibly.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
And, what will you do for your clutch?
Askin for a friend.
:whistle:

1 - 20 of 195 Posts