Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

12 Volt Accessory Power Chief Vintage

12K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  TLleadfoot 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,
I want to bring a 12 volt "cigarette" power adapter to my handle bar bag. Has anyone done this? I ordered
Eklipes Viper Chrome Socket (Cigarette Lighter Type)
1 from Cruizer Customizing, $19.95
plus shipping ($30 less than the one Indian is offering that is not in stock). Anyway, I guess I'll run the wires from the battery, under the gas tank and fish them up to the handlebars. Just asking if there are any pitfalls or issues with this. I am not a mechanic but think I can do this.
I will post pictures when I start the project.
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
The connector is a 2-wire "SuperSeal" .. the same as GM uses. The extra connector was secured with tape which made it a little less obvious (dark area, covered in black tape). You can crimp the superseal connector on the end of your cigarette lighter and have a real plug-and-play system that can be reverted to factory condition if the need arises (or if you trade bikes later on).

#4 ·
I used a Battery Tender extension. There is one with the cigarette lighter adapter end and the battery tender plug at the other end. I ran the wire down from the handlebar bag under the tank and down to under the seat and behind the cover on the left side. When the bike is not hooked up to the Battery Tender I simply plug it into the adapter end. Took about two minutes to install. I marked the plug leading from the battery with red tape so I know which plug to plug the battery tender into when you are hooking up the tender as both plugs are identical and it was easy to loose track of which one I was plugging into when hooking up the tender.

#14 ·
Ooops. My reply below is for the connector on the left and not the smaller one you are pointing to.

My switched power connector on my Springfield was completely taped up on a wire harness bundle on the left side of my nacelle. I couldn’t see a connector there. I had almost given up since everyone mentioned right side.

I ordered this on Amazon and it worked.

Automotive Waterproof Electrical Connector, Pigtail Connector, Male and Female Waterproof Connectors, Auto Wire Connectors for Car Truck Motorcycle Boat Marine and More 2Pin https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0914N4...abc_SAX6FET8TSBGAA1THWCW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

#19 ·
Ooops. My reply below is for the connector on the left and not the smaller one you are pointing to.

My switched power connector on my Springfield was completely taped up on a wire harness bundle on the left side of my nacelle. I couldn’t see a connector there. I had almost given up since everyone mentioned right side.

I ordered this on Amazon and it worked.

Automotive Waterproof Electrical Connector, Pigtail Connector, Male and Female Waterproof Connectors, Auto Wire Connectors for Car Truck Motorcycle Boat Marine and More 2Pin https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0914N4...abc_SAX6FET8TSBGAA1THWCW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
What gauge wire is used for the connectors that you wired in? Or gauge to match the wire connectors for LH and RH signals?

#15 ·
According to my dealer, the two blue plugs are for the spotlights. Why there is no power on it, I have no idea. The extra plug that everyone is talking about is nowhere to be found. This plug (on the last pic) goes to the warbonnet. According to the dealer the best option is to split it up.

#16 · (Edited)
Successful.

I also created a topic with explanation and lots of pictures.

#18 · (Edited)
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.