Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,
While waiting for the big announcement from PII on the 116, I'm running the Fuelmoto tune and will be giving the Dynojet tune a try this weekend. (Not going to get a Fuelmoto custom tune until after the announcement.)
Who has run both base tunes and what were your impressions, one vs the other?

Thanks for your input

(2017 Chieftain 116 with Indian Stage 1 intake and exhaust)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Who has run both base tunes and what we're your impressions, one vs the other?

Hey BnB

The first 1,000 miles after install were with the Indian map while waiting on Dynojet and FM to have theirs ready.

The Dynojet map came out over a weekend and I ran that one first.
This tune made massive improvements over Indian's tune.
Bike was much more stable and responsive.
Only ran about 150 miles on this tune as I received the FM map a couple of days later on a Tuesday.

I now have have 1,600 miles on the FM tune and it is outstanding.
This map woke up the sleeping beast that was hiding out inside my motor.
Definitely a performance tune.
It helps that the research bike was set up almost the same as mine -
I think the only difference was he had a degutted cat while I run the FM jackpot head pipe.

I originally was thinking I would run the Dynojet tune for 2up or group riding and the FM tune when out on my own, but--
I enjoy this ride too much to scale it back down.

Each tune I have loaded on the 116 has been rough at first.
The FM tune would stall on cold start up, sputter and sometimes backfire on decel, etc.
The more miles I put on it the better the map gets as it learns the new fuel trims.

I would like to get CraigB to refine the tune for my specific bike but expect I will wait to see the updates from Indian in August / September first.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I am told the FM tune has substantial timing table corrections in place that the DJ lacks... that said, both ran a bit rough on first trials, but after starting to customize the DJ because the bike responded better from the get go, and running into increasing difficulties I switched to the FM tune and we have been refining that for my CDH. Your results will be unique to your bike, so there is no substitute for trying them out on your own. Many have reported much better results than I have achieved, but mine runs fine on the highway (really turns out the power on top-end) and only has troubles at idle and on the bottom-end of the power band. A work in progress, but so far, has given up a portion of the excellent bottom torque that these bikes are known for, and is currently throwing a lot of cylinder misfire codes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I received and loaded the FM tune the day before Indian's stop sale on the 116 came out. Totally different bike with FM tune. Ran strong but rough as mentioned above. Maybe a little to uncontrolled for lane splitting in So Cal traffic. One thing I noticed right away was the increase in heat from the engine on the right side, much more than with Indian's 116 tune. I still have the cat. Took the bike out a couple of times that 1st day and ran it about 80 miles on the freeways and street trying to decide if I really liked it. Had some reservations because it seemed that it would be very easy to break the rear loose when making a turn in front of on coming traffic, not good.

I have reloaded the stock Indian tune and will continue to use it until Indian comes out with an explanation on the current 116 issue. I will tell you that even rough FM tune put a big grin on my face every time I touched the throttle and Iam tempted to put it back in.

·
Senior member / bronze
1,617 Posts
One thing I noticed right away was the increase in heat from the engine on the right side, much more than with Indian's 116 tune.
I will agree with this. Very noticeable heat.
Rear cylinder head pipe is almost unbearable, my heat shield has now changed color from the heat. To me that shouldn't happen.
Has anyone else had there heat shields turn color from this heat?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I received and loaded the FM tune the day before Indian's stop sale on the 116 came out. Totally different bike with FM tune. Ran strong but rough as mentioned above. Maybe a little to uncontrolled for lane splitting in So Cal traffic. One thing I noticed right away was the increase in heat from the engine on the right side, much more than with Indian's 116 tune. I still have the cat. Took the bike out a couple of times that 1st day and ran it about 80 miles on the freeways and street trying to decide if I really liked it. Had some reservations because it seemed that it would be very easy to break the rear loose when making a turn in front of on coming traffic, not good.

I have reloaded the stock Indian tune and will continue to use it until Indian comes out with an explanation on the current 116 issue. I will tell you that even rough FM tune put a big grin on my face every time I touched the throttle and Iam tempted to put it back in.
I had little choice but to do my own tuning on the 116 because the bike was so rough with the Polaris tune. I will agree that the bike is quite a different animal with the kit and it does break traction easily unless you are very careful with the throttle control. It is especially bad taking off in a turn. I found the stock clutch was not strong enough in 5th and 6th gears even with the heavy spring kit. In the lower gears, better keep the bike straight if you want wide open throttle. I had to go through many adjustments in tuning to bring this aspect under control.

·
Senior member / bronze
1,617 Posts
I Noticed when using my cruise control set at about 70 that the engine wants more and surges up and down 1mph.
I thought bike should lock solid to any speed and hold. Very noticeable the 1 mph
Anyone else notice this? Maybe I have a problem with the cruise.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Your surge more likely has to do with fuel tune rather than the cruise control. Mine does not surge at highway speeds, but it has gone through stages of significant surging at low speed. Tuning adjustments solved most of that problem.

·
Senior member / bronze
1,617 Posts
I have significant issues with starting. Several edits to tune hasnt improved.
I'm told might have other issues that tuning won't fix. Need to load back in the stock tune and take to dealer to get resolved.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I haven’t tried a DJ tune but can say the FM tune is way better than the factory 116 tune. The bike starts easier, less twitchy at slower speeds, nice idle, and better gas mileage than the 111 with a lot more power.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I Noticed when using my cruise control set at about 70 that the engine wants more and surges up and down 1mph.
I thought bike should lock solid to any speed and hold. Very noticeable the 1 mph
I have the same problem, looking at the stock throttle curve, I believe it is the shape of the curve in that area causing the surge. Since FM and DJ have their tunes locked, we cannot see what their throttle curves look like.

I have significant issues with starting. Several edits to tune hasnt improved.
I'm told might have other issues that tuning won't fix. Need to load back in the stock tune and take to dealer to get resolved.
Hard starting killed my starter on day one of my 116 adventure. It still has a hard time starting and will kick back on the starter routinely that I believe will kill my starter again if not corrected.

I have not tried FMs or DJs tunes, do not want to lend any validation to Indian's presumption that aftermarket tuners are part of the cause.

·
Senior member / bronze
1,617 Posts
I have the same problem, looking at the stock throttle curve, I believe it is the shape of the curve in that area causing the surge. Since FM and DJ have their tunes locked, we cannot see what their throttle curves look like.

Hard starting killed my starter on day one of my 116 adventure. It still has a hard time starting and will kick back on the starter routinely that I believe will kill my starter again if not corrected.

I have not tried FMs or DJs tunes, do not want to lend any validation to Indian's presumption that aftermarket tuners are part of the cause.
I had my starter replace under warranty soon after my 116 upgrade. It didn't help issue with starting. Now I'm going to load back in the stock tune and force dealer to correct. Not a problem before upgrade.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
From the range of different issues and symptoms reported, I would have to say that every bike is unique and will tune up with differing results. Mine never experienced any kind of starting difficulty (except once with a loud backfire), but my idle and low-end has never really been satisfactory with any tune. I am now a firm believer that every tune needs to be tailored to your own bike... no canned tune will guaranty good nor consistent results!

·
Rider
634 Posts
Currently using the FM tune with a throttle curve a little more refined to be closer to the original stk curve.
Also found the initial FM tune to be rough and had some stalling issues on first run that didn't please me much. Found the throttle curve on the FM tune a little too aggressive and caught me on a few slow turns with almost burning out when trying to be smooth. I like it to be there when I ask for it and not just jump into beast mode... SO other than the throttle curve, the FM tune seems to be the one of choice so far.

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Registered
572 Posts
Not a problem before upgrade.
Agree, I put 400 trouble free miles on my new bike before the 116, starting to wish I had that bike back.

They had to drop the motor again when my starter let go, they had to clean all the metal out of the case as it stripped the reduction gear that the starter engages. Do not want to that to happen again, each time the motor is removed just adds to the issues that is caused.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Agree, I put 400 trouble free miles on my new bike before the 116, starting to wish I had that bike back.
Similar experience here... After test riding another "close to stock" 111, I decided a second bike was a way for me to keep that riding satisfaction while still messing with the CDH performance beast on the side - as my own patience dictates. There are clearly many who have had much better results with the 116 kits. We are hoping and waiting for Polaris to get back to us with a good solution in this matter!

·
Silver member
3,412 Posts
From the range of different issues and symptoms reported, I would have to say that every bike is unique and will tune up with differing results. Mine never experienced any kind of starting difficulty (except once with a loud backfire), but my idle and low-end has never really been satisfactory with any tune. I am now a firm believer that every tune needs to be tailored to your own bike... no canned tune will guaranty good nor consistent results!
My tuner is having the same trouble with getting the low end of the tune to his liking. Check you pm.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Same here... the bike seems to have its good days and bad days. We ended up striking a bit of a compromise between higher-end performance and rideability - especially problematic right off idle and with low-end performance.

·
Silver member
4,635 Posts
Same here... the bike seems to have its good days and bad days. We ended up striking a bit of a compromise between higher-end performance and rideability - especially right off idle and low-end performance.
It will be interesting when/if Polaris produces their solution for the stop sales. Their calibration might solve some of these issues we are having.

·
Silver member
4,635 Posts
Most likely a lean surge. That speed is right outside of closed-loop most likely.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts