Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time ever this has happened…at a rally this weekend and was hot, 92 degrees, no air flow, in stop and go traffic for an hour or so…CEL comes on and is 105 4, code said air filter temp sensor overheating.
116 BBK, hi flow filter, and many miles on Craig B tune. After letting sit for 45 minutes, started up, I stopped and cleared code. All ran well since, even got 46 mpg on the way home.

I know, many threads on overheating, air cooled bikes, etc…question: can a dirty air filter contribute to this? Pulled and cleaned filter tonight and was quite dirty, had some oil in it actually.

I was in a torrential downpour a few weeks ago and I know it sucked in a lot of water at that time. I appreciate any thoughts or anything else I should check. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A dirty air filter wouldn’t cause overheating. If anything it might cause the bike to be a touch rich which would help with cooling. 92 degrees and not moving equals overheating. No way around it. My 116 overheated doing police training courses on a very hot day.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Even my former Yamaha Road Star Midnight Star Silverado overheated in Dallas and Moab on a trip in real hot weather. Stop and go is torture

2014 Indian Chieftain

·
Registered
368 Posts
My wife gets overheated all the time and I just stop talking🤪. Guess we all have experienced an issue here and there but glad it seems to have worked out.

Reactions: tmar007 and TerryJ

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Even my former Yamaha Road Star Midnight Star Silverado overheated in Dallas and Moab on a trip in real hot weather. Stop and go is torture

2014 Indian Chieftain
Yes Sir, air cooled engines can't cool with no air flowing over the engine...stop 'n go is torture alright

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Yes Sir, air cooled engines can't cool with no air flowing over the engine...stop 'n go is torture alright
Sure was a pita on the Roadstar. It would puke fuel all over the right side of the engine. The fuel pump would keep filling the carburetors as they boiled out the fuel, pouring it out. The first time it happened I was surprised I didn't light up . Finally removed the fuel pump and gravity fed the carbs with grizzly jets. No computer codes. Simple dumb motorcycle
End rant LoL FI is the dope.

2014 Indian Chieftain

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I figured it is what it is…freakin’ hot is hot

·
Registered
15 Posts
First time ever this has happened…at a rally this weekend and was hot, 92 degrees, no air flow, in stop and go traffic for an hour or so…CEL comes on and is 105 4, code said air filter temp sensor overheating.
116 BBK, hi flow filter, and many miles on Craig B tune. After letting sit for 45 minutes, started up, I stopped and cleared code. All ran well since, even got 46 mpg on the way home.

I know, many threads on overheating, air cooled bikes, etc…question: can a dirty air filter contribute to this? Pulled and cleaned filter tonight and was quite dirty, had some oil in it actually.

I was in a torrential downpour a few weeks ago and I know it sucked in a lot of water at that time. I appreciate any thoughts or anything else I should check. Cheers.
This is why I bought the Scout with water cooling never had any issues. Fan kicks in and keeps it cool enough even in 90 degree days.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is why I bought the Scout with water cooling never had any issues. Fan kicks in and keeps it cool enough even in 90 degree days.
I agree, nice to have. I have been riding for 40 years, and never, ever had it happen before....even on my air cooled HD. I have ridden in much warmer days, just this was unique as we were in a valley, high temps, and absolutely no air movement for an hour or so...stop and go traffic was bad with bikes coming and going.

·
Registered
43 Posts

2014 Indian Chieftain
I had a 2006 Road Star. As much as I love my chieftain I still miss that bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sure was a pita on the Roadstar. It would puke fuel all over the right side of the engine. The fuel pump would keep filling the carburetors as they boiled out the fuel, pouring it out. The first time it happened I was surprised I didn't light up . Finally removed the fuel pump and gravity fed the carbs with grizzly jets. No computer codes. Simple dumb motorcycle

2014 Indian Chieftain
Good place to pitch the Challenger? :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts

Well stop and go at 92 degrees temp I would over heat. Things happen but the cause was all weather relate. Happy riding

·
Registered
199 Posts

Yep I had the 116 Big Bore Kit on my '17 Chieftain DH and also had a CraigB tune - bike ran awesome.
Got caught in an hour long backup on a 100 degree day and it started running very rough - pulled over and let it cool down and it was fine again
One time got caught in a quick / light rain - just enough to wet you down.
Kept going and the heat off the front had my right side pant leg steaming.
Broiled my leg.

Ended up putting Love Jug Cooling Fans on it and they helped a lot.

Attachments

·
Bronze Member
1,782 Posts

2014 Indian Chieftain
Yeah, a Yamaha technical support bulletin even had a name that they gave for the fuel boiling out of the carbs. I was surprised that there weren't fires from that raw fuel puking out onto a hot engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts