Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the Coastal Indian FB page. I like that the torque is solid from 1,900RPM up. Should be a blast to ride!

Stephen

Text Line Plot Diagram Font

Another IMC 116 ready, and its mean.
IMC 116 kit
Lloydz IMC 585 cams
Lloydz IMC mufflers (no baffles
IMC round air cleaner
In house head work
PCV

123.6 hp
140.9 tq!!!

·
Bronze member
2,876 Posts
If only he/they would provide numbers and curves we could actually use and understand..

Until "Steve Burns" puts his bike on a DynoJet Dyno and gets us an SAE chart, we don't know nuthin...

Axis dyno's are good machines - they are touted as having more of a "real world" testing regime.. But they are just not capable of giving us charts we can use against our other DJ SAE charts..

Also, once Herk and CraigB finish Herks' tune, we will know what the 585's on a stage 1 stockbore w PVCX makes.. Afterward, if Herk adds the VP60 and retunes, we may find that THAT combo makes 120+ hp / 140 TRQ (SAE power levels at the rear wheel)..

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
If only he/they would provide numbers and curves we could actually use and understand..

Until "Steve Burns" puts his bike on a DynoJet Dyno and gets us an SAE chart, we don't know nuthin...

Axis dyno's are good machines - they are touted as having more of a "real world" testing regime.. But they are just not capable of giving us charts we can use against our other DJ SAE charts..

Also, once Herk and CraigB finish Herks' tune, we will know what the same setup, minus the added 5 ci, makes.. Herks' bike is currently "same as" but on a stockbore.. Afterward, if Herk adds the VP60 and retunes, we may find that THAT combo makes 120+ hp / 140 TRQ (SAE power levels at the rear wheel)
guess who is lurking and digging here too

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,876 Posts
I am quite sure that I can make a data supported argument showing that current attempts at "headwork" are actually costing power levels or are completely ineffectual.. Perhaps our resident Fluid Dynamicists can shed light on the subject - it seems the exhaust side might not require the advanced degrees in physics and Computational fluid dynamics modeling that fooling with the combustion chamber and intake tract does... Can you say "I think that tat'd fella with the die grinder killed my swirl and tumble"...

However, if the SAE numbers were to prove similar, and even if they are not, those power levels are finally "interesting"..

·
Bronze member
2,371 Posts
One of the things I believe is getting lost in all of the excitement (myself included) is a not irrational concern about the longevity of the connecting rods with much higher levels of HP. FM even sees this as a weak link, and even if Herk is successful, I would worry about this. Our forged crank is plenty strong, but the connecting rods may be problematic. Perhaps only time, not expert opinion, will tell.....

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,132 Posts
I'm probably running the bike harder now during the current tuning & testing phase than I ever will within 95% of the time after the work is completed. But never the less I agree and should this become an issue/problem as you said, time will tell... Got to finish it first hopefully, before any new or suspected issues can/will arise.

·
Bronze member
2,876 Posts
Or, how bout this - Lloydz broke a 111 con rod during testing of their 111 blower kit. They got Carrillo to make up some more. Problem solved for the blower kit but now they gotta sell their Carrillo rods. Grabbing 120hp as a target (I'd have grabbed 110 hp) they tout the rods as "recommended" for 111's over 120hp.. Everyone else in the Indian Performance LaLa land dutifully repeats the mantra - so the air is permeated with "weak con rods" dogma...

Don't know this to be true, just have this feeling though..

Actual data on the "weak con rod" rhetoric would be nice, wouldn't it?

Reactions: HERK

·
Bronze member
2,371 Posts
I would have healthy skepticism, as well, but when we see FM and AMS mentioning this at various points, I think it bears watching and erring on the conservative side. I know, that's no fun [stop][nailbiting][greedy]

·
Bronze member
2,876 Posts
How bout FM and AMS (etc etc etc) providing ANY objective, sound, information about this - hell, how bout enough info to even make a defensible argument on this "weakness" ?

There is none.. Not no where.. So I'd like to suggest that the whole subject is mute due to a complete lack of supporting information and data - it is unsupported rhetoric..

Speaking of - Black Indians are faster than red ones 87.549 % of the time..Prove me wrong..

·
Bronze member
2,371 Posts
Indianster, why don't you pick up the phone and call Jamie. He'll talk to you. Or send an email to Tom AMS. I won't argue about it, since even at the expert level, which neither of us are, there will be opinion. I merely pointed out the potential for an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I like your pun (so the air is permeated with "weak con rods" dogma)....... So you do understand that a supercharged motor will add even more internal pressure to the engine overall, especially to the top end (or manifold components) of the engine which most likely going to generate the added stress/load of force downward to and thru the lowercase engine components via the piston and connecting rod. From there it's only a matter of time which link will ever prove to be the weakest.

·
Bronze member
2,876 Posts
Well Herk, are you asking me if I am aware of the ramifications of high ECR's (Effective Compression ratios in forced induction applications) to the stress gradients on the components of the rotating assemblies? The answer is no..

(lol...)

Seriously tho, I think you misread where I postulated that Lloydz broke a stock con rod with high ECR's while testing their 111 blower kit - and started a myth in order to help sell the Carrillo rods they have in stock for the Blower kit...

Reactions: Shardy

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I actually wasn't directing the reply to you Brad.... lol, although the Carrillo rods was understood to be another way to justify an unnecessary expense and yes boost can be a tricky force to handle but I don't nothing about that either after have two different Eaton supercharged engine vehicles.... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Everyone here has probably seen and read some of the threads posted in the topic "PVCX and our ECU - tuning topics for the non faint-hearted" well if I may and contest unto you there's more truth to this post and topic titled then most may understand. The tuning procedure I'm currently running thru by testing and recording of the TS111 engine ECM management via PVCX tuning is for the most part something not everyone is going to be comfortable with in performing, especially over and over and over again. All the while, during the on-going repetition and relayed of controlled ramping-up on the throttle (slowly twisting the throttle open to almost full WOT) and making the engine sound like a extremely convicted humming bird or buzzing bee, without hitting the rev limiter (of 5700 rpm) from approx., 1000-rpm to 5600-rpm while in real time riding, engaging the transmission thru 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears over and over down a strip of asphalt or concrete in lieu of a bench/table workplace can strain even the strongest minded, experienced or knowledgeable riders, not forgetting to mention all the while the concern of any engine component stressing and if all even within safe calculated operating parameters. However, this is most likely not a normal tuning nor procedure one may have to orchestrate on there own machine but in search of the answers we need to successfully join the 585 cams with the TS111 engine well...... someone has to do it. I'll be honest, if there is a weak rod, connector or link assembly anywhere in the lower TS111 engine case then, by this evidence it hasn't been found or to be proven as of yet. We all know nothing last forever, and repeated stressing of an internal combustion engine for any extended length of time/period will obviously become an issue sooner than some may want if not later.

·
Silver member
4,719 Posts
I'm not worried (or for that matter even think about it) at our current compression level. Evidently, Polaris was not worried with the increased compression of the 116" kit. In the Harley world, I did not change out rods until I got to 12:1 either via piston or turbo/super charged application.

·
Bronze member
2,876 Posts
Herk, I feel your pain bro. Lloydz should have created a proper PVCX tune for their cams before releasing them for sale. VIc Baggers should have created the same for the Venom Plenum - whether it would be a call to Fuel Moto or DynoJet - or VICE VERSA - there is no excuse for this.. I mean, for example, just how the hell is it that DJ has PVCX tunes for Scouts with the S&S intake? What "process" got S&S intake tunes but none others?

Your tune will be the only programming of its' kind - probably in the world. It's a horrible refection on the industry that a "best logical choice" mod combo has no tuning support by any of the industry "players" - and since "Dyno shops" seem to be run by the mentally challenged, you are doing the work for all of them and the industry..

Think about the issues you are solving: Those damned Lloydz injectors - talk about a unexpected cluster fu#k that has to be addressed.... The creation of a 100% correct VE table for the 585's+Stage 1 .... If you redo the tune for the VP60, you should have more duty cycle to work with on the injectors and produce power levels we have not seen to date..

If it is any consolation, your hard work, risk, and financial outlay, will create tunes that should be quite marketable and quite valuable..

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Polaris did engineer a damn near bullet proof engine with the TS111, to bad they just can't tune them very well... Just kidding, we all know the reason why they're tuned from the factory like a vacuum sweeper....

And I'm not too worried about the engine either, I've been given an opportunity to work with one of the best in the industry, I couldn't do it alone and I sincerely know that level of experience and knowledge focused on this new modification is all in very, very good hands... :cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Conrod “issue” is interesting. The fact that the limit is set at 120 by people who are not producing an engine with the capability of going over 120. Most are barley at 100. So what test engine are they seeing this destruction? Surely not a forced induction motor?

While Harley has there problems most have been proved out, with ways of checking if you have have issues. Even if we have weak rods the vast majority with not notice any issue, even if we could get 130hp out of our tractors.

On another note: Herk, I do get over to Corinth, TX some. Would love to here and see your beast with the 585 cams. I may be getting another bike this fall and may follow your lead with performance parts.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
On another note: Herk, I do get over to Corinth, TX some. Would love to here and see your beast with the 585 cams. I may be getting another bike this fall and may follow your lead with performance parts.
I should have at lease the PV-CX reconstruction tuning done with Craig by or before the end of this week if the weather will just cooperate, stop-on by if you like, I'll send you a message with my cell phone number.

·
Bronze member
2,876 Posts
If / when yall set up the date/time, shoot me a text Herk, maybe I can zip out as well..

Reactions: HERK
1 - 20 of 24 Posts