Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I was taking my Honey to Barkhamstead Reservoir on a gorgeous late summer day when I realize my '17 Vintage is no longer charging! So I bring my Honey home and nurse it to the Indian dealer thinking it is probably the voltage regulator and a warranty item. It is chaos at the dealership because it's demo weekend ( which I knew, was going to attend later )! So apparently the first year is full coverage and the second year is powertrain only, so if it turns out to be the voltage regulator it's on me and I would probably DIY. I have been sitting on the fence about the Extended warranty but apparently that covers the voltage regulater. I have exactly 6 days to get off the fence. So those of you who have been there how much for a new regulator, and or how much if the dealership does the diagnostics and regulator?

·
Rider
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great info but can anyone answer the original questions?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I say NO to extended warranties.....
I believe there is a simple test to determine if the regulator is bad and not the generator. Someone here did it.
But good luck doing a search.......

·
Rider
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys.... here is what I'm thinking. Firstly I don't know if its the regulater. Voltage was not all over the place just constantly going down, could be stator, or wiring. The battery takes a charge from my Ctek. I am thinking diagnostics and parts will exceed $500 so my extended warranty will be less then $500 or my as yet unpurchased warranty already saved me $500
and servicing any new bike is huge money these days!!! This happening 6 days before I lose the option could be a warning sign. While I don't doubt the Ricks unit is superior it may not be the best option here!

·
Rider
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just 2 more things. Though far from a pro wrench I have done my fair share. But I am recovering from a bad auto wreck in June and barely just started riding the Indian again. Loading an 850 lb bike on and off my lift or crawling around under it is not in the cards right now! If you read the op, the bike is already at the dealership, we have a good relationship and I would feel bad pulling it, doubt they would install the Ricks part but I would ask if that's what it turns out to be and of course they would not warranty any of the work!

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Buy the warranty if you do not intend to do your own work. I would be cautious about the exact nature and range of the exclusions though. Read and understand your full contract and do not listen to a salesman's interpretation of the language.

·
Rider
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I say NO to extended warranties.....
I believe there is a simple test to determine if the regulator is bad and not the generator. Someone here did it.
But good luck doing a search.......
Would you still feel the same way if you KNEW the warranty was going to save you $500 or $600 24hrs after you bought it!

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,880 Posts
I picked one up on EBay for about $125. It still works fine 6 months later.

Damn, people, if you can’t answer a direct question, don’t reply.

·
Rider
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With all the bad regulator threads you would think someone could answer this!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts