Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday, 25 July, my club hosted a Poker Run... on the 2nd segment, we rode from Navarre to Pensacola Beach, FL, on RT 399, about 20 miles.. this was riding mostly in 4th & 5th gear around 45mph. i got 69.6 mpg average. ..as we slowed down to pull into the Water Pig BBQ and park, my mpg dropped to 67.9mpg. i am amazed how well this bike runs and wonder if the new 116 ci engines get similar gas mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
yesterday, 25 July, my club hosted a Poker Run... on the 2nd segment, we rode from Navarre to Pensacola Beach, FL, on RT 399, about 20 miles.. this was riding mostly in 4th & 5th gear around 45mph. i got 69.6 mpg average. ..as we slowed down to pull into the Water Pig BBQ and park, my mpg dropped to 67.9mpg. i am amazed how well this bike runs and wonder if the new 116 ci engines get similar gas mileage.
After 24,000mi on my 2017 Vintage I'm averaging just over 42mpg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After 24,000mi on my 2017 Vintage I'm averaging just over 42mpg.
that is very respectable...i generally average in the mid to high 40's riding short distances around town but i like to note "best achieved" from time to time...someday soon, i expect to break an average MPG of 70.

·
Registered
50 Posts
44mpg has been my avg over the last 800 miles. (7400 on the 2017 Chieftain Limited, purchased with 6600 on it) 70+ mpg is something to be proud of!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took my Chief Dark Horse out on a long ride (240 miles one way) and my average milage went down. It was at 38.8, and now it is 38.5. Seems counterintuitive, as 100+ miles in 6th at a constant speed should be pretty efficient...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
60 mph seems to be the magic spot. My Roadmaster will do 45 mpg riding along backroads and cruising down highways. Go to 70-80 mph on the interstate and you’re looking at 38-40.

·
Silver member
5,042 Posts
Yep, it seems when you hit 80 mph sustained it drops significantly.

I average a whopping 35 mpg on most tanks, because I ride it to damn fast. But on my cross country trip I got about 40 mpg on average running about 85 mph most of the trip.

Reactions: Cameroni79

·
Registered
410 Posts
My weekend ride had me averaging over 52 mpg. This was at speeds from 45-70 mph and at 8,000-10,000 feet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I do a lot of city riding and commuting during summer so sadly, mine never goes over 25mpg, I have learned to live with it I guess.

·
Bronze member
2,233 Posts
I do a lot of city riding and commuting during summer so sadly, mine never goes over 25mpg, I have learned to live with it I guess.
25? Doesn't sound right, I'd be a little suspicious of something wrong or leaking. Cracked intake seals, poor tune, etc. My absolute worse with a manifold leak (tech left intake vent line open) was 35mpg. I now average close to 40mpg+ even with 75-85mph sprints.

·
Registered
403 Posts
25? Doesn't sound right, I'd be a little suspicious of something wrong or leaking. Cracked intake seals, poor tune, etc. My absolute worse with a manifold leak (tech left intake vent line open) was 35mpg. I now average close to 40mpg+ even with 75-85mph sprints.
Nothing leaking, mine is practically new (2019 Chief dark horse) and I just had it serviced a few weeks ago, I have a custom tune by Craig. 90% of my riding is in city traffic. When I said 25mpg, I am basing it on what the screen on my bike says, I know I have read here that it is not the most accurate reading so maybe if one day I actually fill the tank and measure how many miles I get until I run out of gas, I might have a better sense of my average MPG but as I have said, it doesn't bug me as much as I did when I first bought the bike.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I ride mine like I stole it, and get around 35mpg. I don't over-rev it, nor do I lug it. If you are lugging your engine to get those amazing mpg's, you will wind up with short engine life. My suggestion is to ride it the way you should, and forget the mpg. Fun beats mpg any day of the week.
Ride safe & stay healthy!
Seeya!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts